Potential replacement coaches

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I saw a quote from Archie radio show and hope it was he was misquoted.  Someone said that Archie thinks we will probably not shoot well in Lucas Oil Stadium.  I don't know the context of the question or answer but if he is going in with an attitude of defeat before the game even starts.

That’s disappointing to hear. I remember the first time Indiana played at the Hoosier Dome.

The kids walked into the empty arena and were thinking that same thing as they looked around.  But not ol’ Bobby.  Remember how he had Yogi get up on Uwe’s shoulders?  Then he had Buckner help them measure the height of the goal.Sure enough, 10 feet.

Then Brian Evan’s was going to measure the length to the free throw line but his shoulder popped out. Isaiah picked up the tape measurer and sure enough it was the same length as the gym in Bloomington. 

Bob Hammel later told me that Bobby had gotten Dakich to come in and measure the rest of court the night before.  So then coach told the team that if they measured the rest of the court they would find it was exactly the size of their court back home. Not too big but exactly the same size. 

Alford and Calbert then looked up slowly and nodded confidently while staring at the back of the rim.  Suddenly the gym was small and the rim was large. 

As the team walked off the court Ricky Calloway yelled “we ran the freak offense” but Kitchel sighed and said you were supposed to yell Hoosiers. Ricky acted sorrowful but was smiling when Ted wasn’t looking. 

• Haha 8

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Probably will be until this weekend at the earliest.

One thing about all this coach talk, most of the guys being talked about were just an assistant or a guy somewhere until they landed their current job.  When Brad Stevens was given the Butler job, he was a guy who quit his job to become an assistant coach and worked his way to that.  Knight and Kryzewski were winning 19 games at Army and going to the NIT.  Self was a guy from Illinois who had a few good years.  Bennett had 2 good years and a meh year at Washington State before getting picked up by Virginia.

We are all getting worked up about names when the reality is that there is no such thing as a sure thing.  Even Stevens has the potential to fail here.

I agree....got to do the homework, search all benches, pick the brain of your network - Names are just framework that fans know.

The next hire has to have the personality, basketball IQ, teaching skills, self awarness and reflection to adapt, and have the passion for Indiana University that coach Allen does.

When the Cubs were looking for managers, Epstein had each particiapte in a mock press conference.  Some say this is one of the reasons Sandberg didn't get the gig at the time.  The point I want to make is, Glass went after a name (Hot name at the time) and didn't do his homework on personality which includes enthusiasm and energy on and off the court.

Look at Allen- just signed a massive contract, could take a well deserved day off....instead all over the interview circuit, his twitter is on fire, etc.  

Got to find the next Coach Allen basketball style.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rico said:

You are wrong on Self...Bill was great at Tulsa.  Of the guys you mentioned in the post, Dollar Bill was a  "travelled" coach.

Fair enough, he would be the Mack type of guy right now.  Solid but not really a home run.  That was kind of my point.  The only home run hire I can think of lately was Calipari and I think most of that had to do with him being an early adopter of the one and done and everything it took to get those types of players.  Maybe Roy William's for UNC too, but the knock on him was that he couldn't win the big one at Kansas.

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I understand that, spent 5 years in sports PR. That's why I'm going by their actions.

Not only did he sign a contract extension a few months ago, his wife served as his agent in negotiating the extension. 

There has basically been nothing in 7 years to indicate the Stevens are unhappy. 

How about that. I also spent time in sports PR. 

Again, Brad may never even think about IU, and all of your points make sense as to why he'd stay in Boston. 

But that wasn't my point. My only point was basing anything on a few comments here or there by a public figure won't advance anyone's arguement. 

• Like 1

I’m just still wondering if there’s the chance they keep Archie another year. I’ve seen it could definitely still be up in the air and they haven’t decided yet, but there seem to be signs obviously that point to him being gone. I know the signs have been strong, but as far as him NOT being the coach next season, hasn’t everything been “if”, or has there been anything/anyone stating factually that Archie will not be the coach next season? 

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Probably will be until this weekend at the earliest.

One thing about all this coach talk, most of the guys being talked about were just an assistant or a guy somewhere until they landed their current job.  When Brad Stevens was given the Butler job, he was a guy who quit his job to become an assistant coach and worked his way to that.  Knight and Kryzewski were winning 19 games at Army and going to the NIT.  Self was a guy from Illinois who had a few good years.  Bennett had 2 good years and a meh year at Washington State before getting picked up by Virginia.

We are all getting worked up about names when the reality is that there is no such thing as a sure thing.  Even Stevens has the potential to fail here.

BING!!!   We have a winner!  Thank you!   😊

• Like 2

I hope when we pick our new coach. The AD has enough sense to watch some video of his offense. Please pay attention to off the ball action. Are they just standing or screening and cutting with a purpose. We need an offensive system that you can get multiple looks from. No more we run 152 plays. 

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

What about Brad Brownell?  Put him and Calbert together. They both played high school ball together.  Hes done pretty well at non traditional basketball schools.  

I tooted Brownell's horn a while back...lots of posters were skeptical of his record at Clemson.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

What about Brad Brownell?  Put him and Calbert together. They both played high school ball together.  Hes done pretty well at non traditional basketball schools.  

Even prior to Clemson, he had double digit losses all four years at Wright St. The book on him at Clemson is that he wins just enough to keep his job

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I know all that.  People change their minds all the time. Anyone can be happy at their job and then a month later want a change for whatever reason.  It’s not completely unheard of. He will have plenty of NBA jobs to choose from when his time is up in Boston.

Bad for Brad!

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Even prior to Clemson, he had double digit losses all four years at Wright St. The book on him at Clemson is that he wins just enough to keep his job

He also had 80+ wins at Wright St and an NCAA appearance in a one bid league.  He also coached at UNC-Wilmington for 4 years leading them to 2 NCAA appearances.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

He also had 80+ wins at Wright St and an NCAA appearance in a one bid league.  He also coached at UNC-Wilmington for 4 years leading them to 2 NCAA appearances.

All valid and fair. He’s a quality coach, just don’t see him as an upgrade. Can’t see firing Archie to hire Brownell 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

All valid and fair. He’s a quality coach, just don’t see him as an upgrade. Can’t see firing Archie to hire Brownell 

Understood.  

I have mentioned it before but I have talked with Brad on a couple of occasions.  At one time I knew pretty well what was going on with him.  I know for fact that he once told a recruit he didn't know how long he was going to be at Wright State because his wife loved it out in the Carolinas...

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Understood.  

I have mentioned it before but I have talked with Brad on a couple of occasions.  At one time I knew pretty well what was going on with him.  I know for fact that he once told a recruit he didn't know how long he was going to be at Wright State because his wife loved it out in the Carolinas...

Can’t blame her. While Clemson’s campus is a bit bland, the surrounding Upstate SC area is beautiful 

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Can’t blame her. While Clemson’s campus is a bit bland, the surrounding Upstate SC area is beautiful 

Well Brad got into with the Wilmington AD is why he left.  At the time Wright St. was a lateral move at best, if not a step down.  I don't think Brownell dreamed of coaching Clemson in the ACC was just looking for a gig back in the area.  

Fellas Brad Stevens isn't coming here. I've been very clear with my displeasure of this regime this season, but we need to be realistic with our options.

I personally think the 10 million buyout isn't a big deal, IU is swimming with money even with the losses due to the virus.

What it comes down to is this.....

Who would be our replacement that is > Archie that is realistically available. IU does not want to be in this position again in 4 years. Scott Dolson is not dumb, he LOVES IU basketball. I trust him to make the right decision. Do I think he has sent out feelers to coaches in the NCAA? Probably. That's the smart thing to do.

I think we all need to be ready for a 5th year with Archie. Whether we like it or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3