Potential replacement coaches

9 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Yeah. That was odd.   I also don’t understand why they are linking Shaka to a few open jobs now - unless he wants to capitalize on a good season there and really wants out.     

Either way - selling a person in their 50s at multimillions a year to live in Arizona isn’t exactly a bad gig in a weak conference.  

You can say that again...and again...and again...

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Probably wishful thinking

I'm not scared of Painter.  In fact I hope he stays there for life.   Painter is only effective when IU is down.  When Sampson and Crean had their glimmers of hope at IU Painter was getting whipped in recruiting. 

IU will be fine once they get a coach.  This next coach will be coach number 5 after RMK.  Eventually the laws of averages have to be in IU's favor to hit a home run. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

You're not focusing on the actual situation.  

If I was unemployed and personally offered both jobs today, I would take Arizona.  No question.  Sign me up.

However, if I was currently the coach at Purdue, Purdue was my alma mater, and I had a Final Four quality roster in place for next year, I'm staying at Purdue.  You don't simply turn down the chance to go to a Final Four for what may be a complete rebuild with sanctions thrown in, especially when you are having success at your Alma Mater.  

Purdue.... Final 4...... Ha!   

I have a friend who belongs to some Painter Club.  Basically 2-3 times a year there's a dinner and Painter walks around and shakes hands and says a few words.   At the end of Crean's run Painter responded to a question about Crean.  His answer was "My biggest fear is that IU lands a top flight coach and recruiter.  Crean can stay for as long as he wants."  

• Like 1

Just now, addictedtoIU said:

Wow they're just throwing all kinds of stuff. Casting a WIDE net and once they hit something, "See? We're brining good info."

Also speculation that Marquette boosters want him back (same source as Painter being interested in AZ)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JugRox said:

It’s absolutely hilarious that IU fans would put the Arizona job below the Purdue job.

No body cares about B10 titles except people in the mid west lol

Hell, the Arizona job might be as good as the IU job. 

The opposite is true as well. Does anybody care about Pac 12 titles?

The only advantage Arizona (other than weather or atmosphere) has it may be easier to get better seeds in tournaments. And according to my Google search, Painter is currently paid more than Sean Miller. 

Edited by addictedtoIU

7 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Also speculation that Marquette boosters want him back (same source as Painter being interested in AZ)

Our man Crean is in high demand. :)

True or not, those coaches should be flattered. It should give them good feelings that other employers might want their services whether they do have intentions to move on or not. 

Edited by addictedtoIU

5 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

The opposite is true as well. Does anybody care about Pac 12 titles?

The only advantage Arizona (other than weather or atmosphere) has it may be easier to get better seeds in tournaments. And according to my Google search, Painter is currently paid more than Sean Miller. 

Another advantage... coeds😁

38 minutes ago, JJack said:

I'm not scared of Painter.  In fact I hope he stays there for life.   Painter is only effective when IU is down.  When Sampson and Crean had their glimmers of hope at IU Painter was getting whipped in recruiting. 

IU will be fine once they get a coach.  This next coach will be coach number 5 after RMK.  Eventually the laws of averages have to be in IU's favor to hit a home run. 

The curse of the Bambino lasted almost 90yrs..🤦‍♂️

Why would Painter leave? He’s on top of the mountain in Indiana right now. Kicking our butt every season and now getting the recruits we want. He is a former player of Purdue and was turned down by a Bobby Knight to play for IU. He’s happy!

If I could have one coach not named Brad Stevens, I would want Holtman. We really missed out on this guy. I’m sure he wouldn’t leave OSU with things going well to go to a program as upside down as ours right now. It would be an absolute PR nightmare anytime he or his family was back in Columbus, especially coaching. He’s my number 1 though, I would be ecstatic to land Holtman if there was any chance to do over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Why would Painter leave? He’s on top of the mountain in Indiana right now. Kicking our butt every season and now getting the recruits we want. He is a former player of Purdue and was turned down by a Bobby Knight to play for IU. He’s happy!

If I could have one coach not named Brad Stevens, I would want Holtman. We really missed out on this guy. I’m sure he wouldn’t leave OSU with things going well to go to a program as upside down as ours right now. It would be an absolute PR nightmare anytime he or his family was back in Columbus, especially coaching. He’s my number 1 though, I would be ecstatic to land Holtman if there was any chance to do over.

Because Arizona is a better job?

Nobody outside of the state of Indiana cares about the IU/Purdue rivalry? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Tucson in February or West Lafayette in February, January, March, or ever?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Pretty sure I read he turned us down 4 yrs ago...