Potential replacement coaches

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You're not focusing on the actual situation.  

If I was unemployed and personally offered both jobs today, I would take Arizona.  No question.  Sign me up.

However, if I was currently the coach at Purdue, Purdue was my alma mater, and I had a Final Four quality roster in place for next year, I'm staying at Purdue.  You don't simply turn down the chance to go to a Final Four for what may be a complete rebuild with sanctions thrown in, especially when you are having success at your Alma Mater.  

That's next year. What about a 2 years from now? 4 years? Where is it going to be easier to build a final four roster AFTER NEXT YEAR.

Again, I don't think Painter leaves. But to think its not a possibility goes back to thinking the college basketball universe revolves around the state of Indiana. lol

Edited by JugRox

6 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Why would Painter leave? He’s on top of the mountain in Indiana right now. Kicking our butt every season and now getting the recruits we want. He is a former player of Purdue and was turned down by a Bobby Knight to play for IU. He’s happy!

If I could have one coach not named Brad Stevens, I would want Holtman. We really missed out on this guy. I’m sure he wouldn’t leave OSU with things going well to go to a program as upside down as ours right now. It would be an absolute PR nightmare anytime he or his family was back in Columbus, especially coaching. He’s my number 1 though, I would be ecstatic to land Holtman if there was any chance to do over.

The Holtmann love is interesting to me. Was he a better choice than Archie? No question. But they finished 12-8 in the B1G this year.  More than any other, I think Ohio State is benefitting from the relentless conference hype. Just not sure Holtmann will turn out to be a home run hire for OSU either.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Why would Painter leave? He’s on top of the mountain in Indiana right now. Kicking our butt every season and now getting the recruits we want. He is a former player of Purdue and was turned down by a Bobby Knight to play for IU. He’s happy!

If I could have one coach not named Brad Stevens, I would want Holtman. We really missed out on this guy. I’m sure he wouldn’t leave OSU with things going well to go to a program as upside down as ours right now. It would be an absolute PR nightmare anytime he or his family was back in Columbus, especially coaching. He’s my number 1 though, I would be ecstatic to land Holtman if there was any chance to do over.

15 minutes ago, HoosierHoo said:

The Holtmann love is interesting to me. Was he a better choice than Archie? No question. But they finished 12-8 in the B1G this year.  More than any other, I think Ohio State is benefitting from the relentless conference hype. Just not sure Holtmann will turn out to be a home run hire for OSU either.

I don't get the Holtmann love either. Definitely solid. Definitely kept the ball rolling at solid programs (Butler/OSU). Nothing special at Gardner-Webb.

My #1 (even over Stevens) is Jay Wright. 2x NCAA champ so he's the most proven current coach outside of K and Roy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

Well, especially for those who have this insane hatred for Alford ...so much so that they distort his record ...see previous response....Alford has 11 ncaa appearances and 13 conf and/ or conference tournament championships...if you are going to shill on him, you can shop on 90% of the choices that are being thrown around...you can also based on that record shill all over Davis, Sampson, Crean and Miller...morons wanting to go through another experiment instead of giving it to a guy who bled for this program, gave it the last championship and bleeds Indiana....as I previously said...just add to the coaching merry go round for another half decade? Meh, I will take the excitement of a homegrown guy who is a good coach...let him bring some of the old guard with him....stop the bleeding with apathy toward the program and I will watch his offense over anything from the past 20 years...but let’s just go back to making hair jokes and shilling all over him as if you can’t read a career record without your hatred warping it...

The guy’s an arrogant a$$hole.

You can be one and be an amazing coach and people will put up with it...Saban...

Alford ain’t no Saban. I’ll pass.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Kelvin Sampson created his own downfall. No one to blame but himself. Regardless of how minor the infractions look in retrospect, he knew the rules. He was the head of the rules committee, for God's sake. He had had issues previously, and knew that he was on a short leash. He should have had a mindset of being squeaky clean. Kinda like a guy on probation knows he can't have one slip up lest he lose his freedom..

Even more egregious than the infractions, Sampson made the conscious decision to bring in some kids with more than just sketchy backgrounds. He then did little to nothing to rein those kids in. The inmates were truly running the asylum.

I don't care how good Sampson looks now, IU made the correct decision in removing him, and the toxic environment he created, from the program.

I'll add that, with my brief personal experience with him, he was aloof/arrogant. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Kelvin Sampson created his own downfall. No one to blame but himself. Regardless of how minor the infractions look in retrospect, he knew the rules. He was the head of the rules committee, for God's sake. He had had issues previously, and knew that he was on a short leash. He should have had a mindset of being squeaky clean. Kinda like a guy on probation knows he can't have one slip up lest he lose his freedom..

Even more egregious than the infractions, Sampson made the conscious decision to bring in some kids with more than just sketchy backgrounds. He then did little to nothing to rein those kids in. The inmates were truly running the asylum.

I don't care how good Sampson looks now, IU made the correct decision in removing him, and the toxic environment he created, from the program.

This. Sampson knowingly cheated. Sure, they were stupid rules but Sampson knew them, intentionally broke them, got caught, continued to break the same rules, and then got caught again. Such hubris. He believed (maybe still believes) that the rules don't apply to him and/or that he is way more clever than he actually is. A slippery slope that may have turned into much worse if the administration had looked the other way on the phone calls.

During his short time at IU, there were constant rumors of players using drugs. The team's academics did a nose dive. I remember there was a stat being floated around at the time of Sampson's graduation rate going back through his previous stops and his graduation rate was atrocious. 

Winning is nice but that was really all he cared about. Not rules. Not the character of his players. Not academics.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'll add that, with my brief personal experience with him, he was aloof/arrogant. 

Same...Coaches vs Cancer breakfast the morning the news broke later that day. Met him and felt arrogance but he also had a side to him where certain types of kids would be drawn to him. Of course between Senderoff bumbling and stumbling at our table....and Dakich all smiles with the gang he now criticizes so much that day in it's entirety is still one of the worst I can remember.

Back to the thread. If a replacement is made I think it needs to be someone with a little more energy in public. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

This. Sampson knowingly cheated. Sure, they were stupid rules but Sampson knew them, intentionally broke them, got caught, continued to break the same rules, and then got caught again. Such hubris. He believed (maybe still believes) that the rules don't apply to him and/or that he is way more clever than he actually is. A slippery slope that may have turned into much worse if the administration had looked the other way on the phone calls.

During his short time at IU, there were constant rumors of players using drugs. The team's academics did a nose dive. I remember there was a stat being floated around at the time of Sampson's graduation rate going back through his previous stops and his graduation rate was atrocious. 

Winning is nice but that was really all he cared about. Not rules. Not the character of his players. Not academics.

Drug use?  Guys may have smoked a few doobies but lets not get carried away.  

• Like 1