Potential replacement coaches

8 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

This. Sampson knowingly cheated. Sure, they were stupid rules but Sampson knew them, intentionally broke them, got caught, continued to break the same rules, and then got caught again. Such hubris. He believed (maybe still believes) that the rules don't apply to him and/or that he is way more clever than he actually is. A slippery slope that may have turned into much worse if the administration had looked the other way on the phone calls.

During his short time at IU, there were constant rumors of players using drugs. The team's academics did a nose dive. I remember there was a stat being floated around at the time of Sampson's graduation rate going back through his previous stops and his graduation rate was atrocious. 

Winning is nice but that was really all he cared about. Not rules. Not the character of his players. Not academics.

Using drugs and grades weren't the half of it.

Sampson recruits a lot of broken home kids. Lower academics eTc. He always said he thought his players were like family. Eli Holtman, Jordan Crawford, Jemarcus Ellis, Bud Mackey etc. That kind of culture may have played well on the court and may work at Houston, but it’s not going to cut it here. Samson is a great coach, but he targets a different kind of player.

9 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Sampson recruits a lot of broken home kids. Lower academics eTc. He always said he thought his players were like family. Eli Holtman, Jordan Crawford, Jemarcus Ellis, Bud Mackey etc. That kind of culture may have played well on the court and may work at Houston, but it’s not going to cut it here. Samson is a great coach, but he targets a different kind of player.

Being devil’s advocate here....”our” type really aren’t working out either...

Edited by Huntnfreak
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Huntnfreak said:

Being devil’s advocate here....”our” type really aren’t working out either...

Amen. 

I'll also say before people trash kids like Ellis know his circumstances. Homeless in high school. Both parents dead. I agree with Hunt....maybe our way hasn't been working. I mean. We only have 600 games and 20 years to go off of but what do I know about numbers.

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2008/12/thank-you-dan-dakich/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Amen. 

I'll also say before people trash kids like Ellis know his circumstances. Homeless in high school. Both parents dead. I agree with Hunt....maybe our way hasn't been working. I mean. We only have 600 games and 20 years to go off of but what do I know about numbers.

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2008/12/thank-you-dan-dakich/

I'll take this one step forward. Maybe there are kids who have never had a chance to be counted on or relied on....or developed. I'm not saying go all Zach Randolph on recruiting but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on kids once in awhile. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll take this one step forward. Maybe there are kids who have never had a chance to be counted on or relied on....or developed. I'm not saying go all Zach Randolph on recruiting but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on kids once in awhile. 

Take a chance? Sampson took too many chances . Crean had multiple kids who turned out being iffy. Regardless of the criticism of Archie, I am more than happy that he hasn’t stooped to bringing in kids with character issues. 

Don’t always agree with Scott, but on this one I do. Would rather be average with good kids than sell the soul of the program just for a few W’s

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Take a chance? Sampson took too many chances . Crean had multiple kids who turned out being iffy. Regardless of the criticism of Archie, I am more than happy that he hasn’t stooped to bringing in kids with character issues. 

Don’t always agree with Scott, but on this one I do. Would rather be average with good kids than sell the soul of the program just for a few W’s

Cool. We just disagree on that line of thinking.

It's funny I created the name Seeking6 in 1997 way back on some old boards....even before boards were a thing when I was 24 or so. Never thought I'd still have the same handle. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

When I coached for many years I wanted to use the spor t to try and save some talented kids. We’d do this by using the sport to be a carrot to bait them into changing.

What I found was it worked well for many situations as long as the majority of the athletes were high charactered kids. On my staff we had the 10% rule. No more than 10% of the team can be “projects.” Many years we had 40-50 runners so we would try to bring in 4-5 runners who were talented but had poor character or checkered back grounds, and try to use the majority of the good kids to pull those kids UP.

Worked many times. And those lives were worth it and yes it did help some of our teams. So I’m not against bringing checkered kids on if there’s an intentional method to help them change for the better.

Edited by BADGERVOL
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

When I coached for many years I wanted to use the spor t to try and save some talented kids. We’d do this by using the sport to be a carrot to bait them into changing.

What I found was it worked well for many situations as long as the majority of the athletes were high charactered kids. On my staff we had the 10% rule. No more than 10% of the team can be “projects.” Many years we had 40-50 runners so we would try to bring in 4-5 runners who were talented but had poor character or checkered back grounds, and try to use the majority of the good kids to pull those kids UP.

Worked many times. And those lives were worth it and yes it did help some of our teams. So I’m not against bringing checkered kids on if there’s an intentional method to help them change for the better.

I applaud you and your efforts. I am sure that you turned kids lives around who otherwise would have been lost.

That being said, your kids were not receiving thousands of dollars in scholarships. They were not ultimately responsible for the success of a multimillion dollar program. 

Philanthropy is a worthy and noble cause. But Power 5 basketball is big business, with the emphasis on business. 

The risk/reward relationship has to really tilt towards the reward in order to take a risk, devote thousands of dollars, on kids who may or may not pan out 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I'm not convinced of this position, but just to offer another perspective...

Why is it a bad thing that a coach, who seemingly wants to make a difference in the lives of young men, targets young men from broken homes and rough backgrounds? And what does it say about us as a fanbase if we cannot accept those type of young men?

Again, not convinced of anything, just offering another perspective. 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I applaud you and your efforts. I am sure that you turned kids lives around who otherwise would have been lost.

That being said, your kids were not receiving thousands of dollars in scholarships. They were not ultimately responsible for the success of a multimillion dollar program. 

Philanthropy is a worthy and noble cause. But Power 5 basketball is big business, with the emphasis on business. 

The risk/reward relationship has to really tilt towards the reward in order to take a risk, devote thousands of dollars, on kids who may or may not pan out 

So while I'm certainly not convinced Sampson was bringing in kids from rough backgrounds out of the goodness of his heart, I take major issue with this position if we are going to ardently support Archie. 

Why is it not okay to take exception to Archie, who is a grown man and extremely well compensated, but it's okay to say kids from rough backgrounds don't deserve a chance here? I can't get on board with that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I post this with a lot of feeling both ways! If you feel we can not get the GREAT COACH  homerun! Or the IU  guy I would go with Fife IU guy and under a Hall of fame coach, I know it was at the time it was IU pu Fort Wayne!  But turned it around ! Granted they were not world beaters but he left them on an upbeat!  i would take Fife  over any IU GUY! I just think he has that edge!!

Edited by loviubb

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Totally agree. I guess my point is IF you’re going to take a fly on a super talented kid that could run a risk of either putting your team over the edge to do much better things or flame out where you have to kick them off the team or something, make sure it isn’t 3-4 kids on a team this sized but rather 1-2 so you have the chance to hold them in check with a stronger culture. That’s all. But point taken for sure and I agree.

• Like 2