Potential replacement coaches

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It’s a shame we have a brand new AD this year (not that the last AD would be much better).  No way Dolson is gonna be able to pull off a big splash hire.  

Glass never tried for a splash hire in any sport. Lets see what happens. I hope Glass took his mid major phone book with him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Brad Stevens took a mediocre Butler program to the brink of promised land twice and now coaches the Boston freaking Celtics.  

If this guy takes the fighting sister jean's to first base twice he's a legend 

Well Moser has been a HC for 21 years so I think he is a flash in the pan

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know.  Fire the students if they want Alford.  

What low standards

But we all had low standards nearing midnight on a Friday night

So to you Alford is a low standard yet Moser is a good hire LOL!

Alford record 543-290 in 26 years 13 NCAA tournaments

Moser record 291-241 in 21 years 2 NCAA tournaments

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bustout said:

I’m thinking it’s gotta be Drew or Beilein at this point. Two proven guys. And Drew has spoken how Baylor is all about football.   

Matta is solid, but runs a similar philosophy to Archie.  

Beard is making $4.5mm in his beloved state. Doesn’t seem realistic.  

Fife, Musselman, Oats, Mack, etc ... too risky right now. IU is in a fragile spot and needs a proven guy.  

How does Fife get grouped with 3 guys that have proven they can win in a Power 5 conference? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bustout said:

I just threw him in the general up and comer type category out of guys mentioned.  Wasn’t an exhaustive descriptive list. Just general. 

Oats might belong in the up and comer category, Musselman and Mack are pretty proven commodities that won for a long time at mid-majors and then have translated well to Power 5 schools. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Oats might belong in the up and comer category, Musselman and Mack are pretty proven commodities that won for a long time at mid-majors and then have translated well to Power 5 schools. 

Hiring from Nevada and two years at Arkansas isn’t like the B1G.  Nor is Xavier.  Mack inherited a good group and he’s fine at Louisville, but I think there are plenty of better candidates.  Not saying these guys suck - just risky. 

I’d much rather take Drew for example with a lot of proven big 12 experience or Beilein 

Edited by Bustout

1 hour ago, Bustout said:

Hiring from Nevada and two years at Arkansas isn’t like the B1G.  Nor is Xavier.  Mack inherited a good group and he’s fine at Louisville, but I think there are plenty of better candidates.  Not saying these guys suck - just risky. 

I’d much rather take Drew for example with a lot of proven big 12 experience or Beilein 

I don't disagree about Drew over those two, but putting them in a group with Fife is silly. 

The question with Mack and Musselman is more about how high the ceiling is than how high the floor is; with Fife, the first question is does the house have four walls. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I would rather take a chance on no name Nathan than Steve 🤮 Alford. Actually I would rather waste a another year with Miller while waiting for a great hire than have anything to do with Alford.

The guy is not ever going to be in another Blue Blood conversation and if he didn’t play for IU his name wouldn’t ever be brought up.

I envisioned the whole class of ‘87 reunion happening when I was told about Dolson replacing Glass well before it ever happened. smh

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bustout said:

Musselman was also a NBA head coach before Nevada. He isn’t at the top of my list of coaches I’d want but he is on the list of upgrades to what we have now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madtownhoosier said:

So I ventured over to Rupps Rafters because misery loves company.  There is a poster over there claiming he is from Texas and all the talk there is Beard to IU.  I dont personally believe it, but that is what he is saying.

I believe it because I support the message. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

I would rather take a chance on no name Nathan than Steve 🤮 Alford. Actually I would rather waste a another year with Miller while waiting for a great hire than have anything to do with Alford.

The guy is not ever going to be in another Blue Blood conversation and if he didn’t play for IU his name wouldn’t ever be brought up.

I envisioned the whole class of ‘87 reunion happening when I was told about Dolson replacing Glass well before it ever happened. smh

But he did play for IU and go look at his record and it may surprise you. It surprised me when I looked it up a couple weeks ago. He might be a arse but he actually has produced a very solid resume. He isn’t a Brad Stevens type hire.

If Alford is our worst case scenario then we are sitting in a good spot. Which is how I’m looking at it. 

• Like 2

Chris Beard.  So if I’m reading this right it seems like Beard only has a buyout of $3 million for schools outside of the Big XII and schools inside the conference it’s  greatly increased. 

A $3 mil buyout to get one of the top coaches is the country is a no brainer. 

edit: drops to just over $2 mil on April 1st. 

Edited by Feathery
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

I'm with you. Scott Drew. Alford kind of warming on me. I wonder how he treated Dolson. lol.

I kind of worry that our administration will see Alford as the "healer" and bring him in.  Big mistake imo.  The time for him to be the healer was 20 years ago but Kora Breckenridge fd that up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't disagree about Drew over those two, but putting them in a group with Fife is silly. 

The question with Mack and Musselman is more about how high the ceiling is than how high the floor is; with Fife, the first question is does the house have four walls. 

Fair. I’ll break it down further next time ... but you gotta at least give me that a Fife house is at least framed?!???

At this point I feel the coach we need is one with power 5 success and a brilliant offensive mind. Assuming we aren't getting Brad Stevens then it has to be Beilein. I would hire him and get Dane Fife to come on board as an associate head coach. Dane can run the defense as he's shown he's a great defensive mind. Dane would be hired on as the coach in waiting for when Beilein retires. With the amount of experience he's built up under coaches likes Izzo and Beilein I think he's be worth giving a shot.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well Moser has been a HC for 21 years so I think he is a flash in the pan

We are discussing the theoretical scenario of him taking Loyola to the final four AGAIN.  

If that occurs, then yes I would want him over Alford.  I loved his energy and charisma in that last run.  If he does it again AD's across the nation will be dissecting his every move to determine if he's the next Brad Stevens.  If that's a ridiculous take to you, I'm happy to cue the stick again but that would be a fact.  

• Like 1