Potential replacement coaches

Chris Beard has obviously won everywhere he's been. But the last two years have only been so-so. Is there a reason to think this is just a blip, or is he trending in the wrong direction.

Scott Drew, on the other hand, is kind of the opposite. Hadn't won as big as Beard until the last couple years, but is currently reaching new heights.

Edit: And then there's Drew's roots in the state vs Beard's connection to Knight.

Edit again: You also have to consider who is better positioned to succeed in light of what I would imagine are IU's heightened academic standards compared to Baylor or (especially) Texas Tech.

Interesting comparison, hard to know which is the better bet over the next 5-10 years.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Chris Beard has obviously won everywhere he's been. But the last two years have only been so-so. Is there a reason to think this is just a blip, or is he trending in the wrong direction.

Scott Drew, on the other hand, is kind of the opposite. Hadn't won as big as Beard until the last couple years, but is currently reaching new heights.

Interesting comparison, hard to know which is the better bet over the next 5-10 years.

Either would be very good but I'm starting to like Musselman a lot.  He coached in the NBA for years so that will help with recruiting.  He's definitely used to the spotlight so I'm sure he could handle the fan base.   

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Good question....I've wondered the same thing.  Looking at Drew's career at Baylor, he's had a few blips, but is definitely on a high right now.  I imagine it's nearly impossible to win big every year at either school.  I think both are excellent and I'd take either one, but I personally prefer Beard by just a hair.

31 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

At this point I feel the coach we need is one with power 5 success and a brilliant offensive mind. Assuming we aren't getting Brad Stevens then it has to be Beilein. I would hire him and get Dane Fife to come on board as an associate head coach. Dane can run the defense as he's shown he's a great defensive mind. Dane would be hired on as the coach in waiting for when Beilein retires. With the amount of experience he's built up under coaches likes Izzo and Beilein I think he's be worth giving a shot.

I like Beilein because we need to get this program back on track. He can develop guards especially PGs.  We have the makings of a very good guard duo in Franklin and Lander.  However, I don't think we should require him to hire Fife for defense and as an HC in waiting.  Then he always has to be looking over his shoulder at Fife and vice versa.

Although he's old,  so am I!   We need a solid hire that will at the very least get this program back into contention.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Either would be very good but I'm starting to like Musselman a lot.  He coached in the NBA for years so that will help with recruiting.  He's definitely used to the spotlight so I'm sure he could handle the fan base.   

Musselman is alleged to have some skeletons in the closet, so that plus the lack of sustained success at the P5 level moves him down a couple notches in my book.

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

Chris Beard.  So if I’m reading this right it seems like Beard only has a buyout of $3 million for schools outside of the Big XII and schools inside the conference it’s  greatly increased. 

A $3 mil buyout to get one of the top coaches is the country is a no brainer. 

edit: drops to just over $2 mil on April 1st. 

I am not on the Beard train 

29 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I feel like I must be the only one seeing Beilein on the B1G Show or the post game breakdowns.  

I love and respect the guy and wanted him 10 years ago.  I feel for the guy because he looks really old and is struggling with his words.  

So do I but I am still good at my job lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cutter said:

So do I but I am still good at my job lol

Can a 68 year old, that looks and sounds 78, grind at a ridiculously high level?  Had a buddy that was a manager at IU in the day, the managers put in 80 hours.  Coaches lived there sometimes and easily knocked out 18 hour days at times.  The optics of Beilein on tv is not good.  Add the thug comment and I think his ship has sailed.  High risk, high reward.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Good question....I've wondered the same thing.  Looking at Drew's career at Baylor, he's had a few blips, but is definitely on a high right now.  I imagine it's nearly impossible to win big every year at either school.  I think both are excellent and I'd take either one, but I personally prefer Beard by just a hair.

Definitely a good debate here.  Drew has a longer track record - so probably a safer play.   And literally rebuilt Baylor from nothing. 

Also, while both teams are good on both side of the ball, compared to the pendulum of our last two coaches, Drew is more offense-focused and Beard is more Defense.  

Beard is alleged to love Texas.  If he came here and the Texas job opened up in say 5 years, would he bolt?   Drew has commented on Baylor being a football school, so IU could be his destination job given his time in the state.   

Also - if Baylor wins it all ... would Drew actually leave or wait a year?

Edited by Bustout
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Can you elaborate? There have been so many names shoved down my throat over the last 6 months, this is one of the few i would be happy with. But just like EVERY name out there you can find flaws.

Lol yes I think Beard would be an upgrade but I think there are better options whether we get top choices or not I don’t know. Beard seems to have a good defensive approach but his offense seems kinda like Archie’s which is easy to prepare for just my opinion. He may have peaked and someone like messelman is on his way up. This is just opinion not fact as I am not well schooled on Beard. I think maybe his final four run and connection to knight may have given him a more favorable outlook to some 

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Looks like 2006.  I should have been arrested for DUI's in 2006.  If that is past him and the wife isn't a liability then he's worth a deep look and consideration.  

Not that it matters but he's very short.  His wife is taller than he is.  That's probably a deal breaker for much of our fan base. 

4c9ca122-be99-4525-9c6b-cde69f15a37e-large16x9_Musselmanfamily.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not that it matters but he's very short.  His wife is taller than he is.  That's probably a deal breaker for much of our fan base. 

4c9ca122-be99-4525-9c6b-cde69f15a37e-large16x9_Musselmanfamily.jpg

Those are some nice jeans his wife is wearing, they would look better on my bedroom floor....

• Haha 2