Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The problem with the IU guys are that there aren't any that are qualified. The only one that even comes close is Alford, and there are a ton of issues with him and his resume is lukewarm at best. 

If all of these former players want an "IU guy", then one of them should have gone out and built the resume to warrant it. 

Great point.

All these old school, though guys who played for Knight seem to believe you need to earn everything (My perception). Hiring a coach just because of his relation to the IU relation seems a little hypocritical. Don’t get me wrong, I love our alumni - what they have done and what they do for this program, but isn’t making this ask essentially the same as rewarding a participation trophy? 

Here is the way i look at it. IU was a top 5 program. IU should be a top 10 program with the likes of Duke, UNC, Virginia, MSU, Kentucky, Kansas, Nova, etc. All those programs do it a little differently, but they all have 1 thing in common, a top ten coach. IU needs a a top ten coach. Alford is not that. Alford may come here. I wont be upset. I will root for him and IU. He may do well. But at the end of the day he isnt and wont be a top 10 college basketball coach.

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Here is the way i look at it. IU was a top 5 program. IU should be a top 10 program with the likes of Duke, UNC, Virginia, MSU, Kentucky, Kansas, Nova, etc. All those programs do it a little differently, but they all have 1 thing in common, a top ten coach. IU needs a a top ten coach. Alford is not that. Alford may come here. I wont be upset. I will root for him and IU. He may do well. But at the end of the day he isnt and wont be a top 10 college basketball coach.

Oh but he would be. He is the golden child. The chosen one. for he has been knighted. 

1 minute ago, jojo123 said:

You are the Troll. Been an IU fan since 1968. Alford is the man. 

I don't know why I am doing this... but what about Alford's resume makes you believe the fact that he would be successful here? And be honest, if he had not played here would you actually want a coach who has never been past the sweet 16 over a couple decades of coaching?

Here’s my questions let’s say Scott Drew does come.... 1. What assistants stay in staff from IU currently? 2. What coaches come with Drew? 3. What players can qualify to get in to IU from Baylor because McKinley Wright couldn’t get in or he would be here and we might actually look a lot different with him. 4. How many players does Drew bring over from his current team or his incoming recruits? 5. What current committed IU players still come to IU? Duncomb, Gunn, etc. 

Just now, madmax said:

I don't know why I am doing this... but what about Alford's resume makes you believe the fact that he would be successful here? And be honest, if he had not played here would you actually want a coach who has never been past the sweet 16 over a couple decades of coaching?

He is being sarcastic

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

Here’s my questions let’s say Scott Drew does come.... 1. What assistants stay in staff from IU currently? 2. What coaches come with Drew? 3. What players can qualify to get in to IU from Baylor because McKinley Wright couldn’t get in or he would be here and we might actually look a lot different with him. 4. How many players does Drew bring over from his current team or his incoming recruits? 5. What current committed IU players still come to IU? Duncomb, Gunn, etc. 

Who said Wright couldn't get in

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I use to agree that it didn't need to be an IU guy but I to the point that I would be alright with it.  We have tried everything else and didn't work so why not try this if we can't get a legit power 5 coach.

There is actually a lot of things we haven't tried that are seemingly much better ideas. 

53 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

He's a former player and a former coach. You don't think he's got nothing good at, do you? At least, he's not a mercenary hired for money. I can be assured he genuinely cares about IU basketball and teach players what it means to wear IU jerseys. 

I've never heard any rave reviews about his coaching...And he's had had chance at a head coaching job and didn't fare very well...

57 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Pat was working for the Pacers as a scout, so they think he knows something.

Aside from the obvious difference between scouting and coaching, and I know more than a few baseball scouts and they could never manage or coach a team, what has PK done to earn a job at IU? As I told @addictedtoIU, I've never heard another coach or any player praise his coaching chops...

Archived