Potential replacement coaches

40 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

The success story of Roy Williams at KU is relevant in any era. It means even a young, relatively inexperienced coach can succeed if he’s put in the right situation Or it also means some people are just born to do something so much better than most of others. 

Like you said, if this story is not worth to be mentioned just because it happened in 1988, then why do we even celebrate the last undefeated 1976 team? That IU team will probably lose multiple games in today’s basketball, and most likely not win the championship either. 

That 76 team would destroy any of the teams today.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, IUFLA said:

After Kevin Wilson, do you really think Gregg Marshall is even an option? 

I remember seeing him being mentioned a bit before the CAM hire. A friend at work is from Wichita and is a big Marshall fan. Marshall was great at WSU and is doing nothing currently.  

10 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

The success story of Roy Williams at KU is relevant in any era. It means even a young, relatively inexperienced coach can succeed if he’s put in the right situation Or it also means some people are just born to do something so much better than most of others. 

Like you said, if this story is not worth to be mentioned just because it happened in 1988, then why do we even celebrate the last undefeated 1976 team? That IU team will probably lose multiple games in today’s basketball, and most likely not win the championship either. 

Nobody.... ever.... could be the 76 team.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldDog said:

I remember seeing him being mentioned a bit before the CAM hire. A friend at work is from Wichita and is a big Marshall fan. Marshall was great at WSU and is doing nothing currently.  

Yes, but Kevin Wilson got dumped because of verbal abuse and indifference and an insulting attitude regarding his player's medical issues...

Marshall got dumped for verbal AND supposedly physical abuse of his players...

I feel confident no matter how good of a coach he is or how many mea culpas he gives, the IU administration would never consider him...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, but Kevin Wilson got dumped because of verbal abuse and indifference and an insulting attitude regarding his player's medical issues...

Marshall got dumped for verbal AND supposedly physical abuse of his players...

I feel confident no matter how good of a coach he is or how many mea culpas he gives, the IU administration would never consider him...

Beggars can't be choosers.   

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Depends what rules apply. 76 team wasn’t constructed to play with today’s rules. 

Very astute point.  That ‘76 team was so dominant and perfectly constructed with all the component parts you need.  But it wouldn’t have three point shooters, so today’s rules would make it tricky.  If you played under the rules of the time, they’d obliterate anyone today.  If they played under today’s rules, you’d imagine they would have had more deep shooters.  

17 hours ago, Threedom said:

Who merits the job, long respected you as a poster.  Beyond the obvious wish list.  Are you saying stick with miller?

No. I don’t think I could put Archie back out there now that the fanbase has turned on him. Can’t have a full AH booing him and the team. I’ve put my list of guys out there but I’ll try to sum mine up. Starting with the most desired first in each group and each group broken down by desirability but also by chances.

Dream hires: Stevens, Donavon, Matta, Wright, Bennett

Home run: Drew, Beard, Musselman, Oats, Pearl, Beilein, Altman, Pitino

Solid: Kruger, Moser, W Miller, White, Shaka, Alford

I’d say anything outside these would be a long shot or off the radar.

• Like 1