Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know I am in the minority on this topic but to me I still want IU to win but not at any cost.  To me it is embarrassing seeing some of the names thrown around who has had checkered past when it comes to breaking the rules.  IU fans in the past would not tolerate this line of thinking but I guess a lot of us are getting to old and the younger guys just wants to win at any cost.

Who are some of the names that interest you that are *sparkling clean*? And is your list exclusive to this group?

2 minutes ago, Hero said:

We tolerated a coach with a checkered history for thirty years because he was also a winner. We may have to agree to disagree.

Didn't I say about breaking the rules.  Also what RMK did in the past was not politically  correct today but back then a lot of coaches used the same tactics.  I know when my mom and dad was in school in the 50's and early 60's their principal at assemblies in the gym would bring in students who go into trouble.  he then would have those kids come in front of everyone and give them all paddles. That kind thing back then was not seen as wrong but today it is and that is just like coach Knight and his ways of doing things.

35 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Current list ( not swayed by the hot coach in tournament syndrome )

• Stevens
  • Beiliein
  • Pitino
  • Sampson
  • Alford

not onboard yet with an Oats or Musselman....record is too easily picked apart under scrutiny.....no better hope for progress than Archie IMO

The fact that you include Alford on your list, then say no to Oats and Mussel because you can pick apart their record is LAUGHABLE. 

crazy tom cruise GIF

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

As a huge college basketball fan I don't even know who that is

Wichita State's head coach.  I'm not suggesting he be given serious consideration since I don't know much about him but he took over a program in chaos and led them to a strong season so I didn't know if people have taken a look.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't I say about breaking the rules.  Also what RMK did in the past was not politically  correct today but back then a lot of coaches used the same tactics.  I know when my mom and dad was in school in the 50's and early 60's their principal at assemblies in the gym would bring in students who go into trouble.  he then would have those kids come in front of everyone and give them all paddles. That kind thing back then was not seen as wrong but today it is and that is just like coach Knight and his ways of doing things.

Surely there are rules against choking your players and berating coaches and faculty members? Wasn’t coach knight fired for breaking the zero-tolerance rules that were put in place? I liked coach knight. He was rough around the edges but he got results. He was/is a winner.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

For those if you that are, inexplicitly, interested in Pitino, you had better not be the same crowd complaining about Belien's age.  Yes, John is 68.  But, guess what, so is Rick.  In fact, Rick is 5 months older.

There are some MAJOR differences in these two if we are looking strictly at being successful at IU.

RP is still arguably the best coach in the country right now and has proven time and time and time again he can win immediately at any school.

JB sounds lost half the time when he is on BTN.

JB takes years to put his system in place, so if we assume we have either for 5 years (and it seems very unfair to Rick to assume he and John have the same amount in the tank), that means you're looking at about 2x or more the level of elite play under Pitino than you are JB. 

If people want to have ethical complaints about Rick because he cheated on his wife, or likes strippers, or doesn't exploit his players while he and his school get rich, then have at it. Not going to argue with anyone that has an issue with RP because of that, but that is the literal only valid reason to prefer JB over RP. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

There are some MAJOR differences in these two if we are looking strictly at being successful at IU.

RP is still arguably the best coach in the country right now and has proven time and time and time again he can win immediately at any school.

JB takes years to put his system in place, so if we assume we have either for 5 years (and it seems very unfair to Rick to assume he and John have the same amount in the tank), that means you're looking at about 2x or more the level of elite play under Pitino than you are JB. 

If people want to have ethical complaints about Rick because he cheated on his wife, or likes strippers, or doesn't exploit his players while he and his school get rich, then have at it. Not going to argue with anyone that has an issue with RP because of that, but that is the literal only valid reason to prefer JB over RP. 

Counterpoint: JB is simply a good basketball coach and not a good TV personality/analyst. Both can be true.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Now that you mention it, we should pass on both and hire Brad Stevens.  

7 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

Current list ( not swayed by the hot coach in tournament syndrome )

• Stevens
  • Beiliein
  • Pitino
  • Sampson
  • Alford

not onboard yet with an Oats or Musselman....record is too easily picked apart under scrutiny.....no better hope for progress than Archie IMO

You can pick apart Musselman and Oats but not Alford who has been fired by two high major programs?  The only high major programs he has been hired at. 

8 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Checkered history of cheating? Sorry....not a great way to join the board...

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I never said coach Knight was a cheater. I did say he had a checkered history. He also broke some of the rules set in place for him.

as far as joining the board— I’ve lurked for years. I’m happy to do so. 

52 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Who are some of the names that interest you that are *sparkling clean*? And is your list exclusive to this group?

Clean: Brad Stevens, Mark Few, Billy Donovan, John Belein, Shaka Smart, Jay Wright, Chris Beard, Tony Bennett, Mike White, Scott Drew, Porter Moser, Chris Mack, Nate Oates, Eric Musselman, Andy Enfield,Thad Matta, Bobby Hurley, Dane Fife, Steve Alford, Dana Altman, Rick Barnes, Gregg Marshall, Anthony Grant.

Define 'clean'?:  Bill Self, Will Wade, Kelvin Sampson, Bruce Pearl, Rick Pitino, John Calipari

2 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Clean: Brad Stevens, Mark Few, Billy Donovan, John Belein, Shaka Smart, Jay Wright, Chris Beard, Tony Bennett, Mike White, Scott Drew, Porter Moser, Chris Mack, Nate Oates, Eric Musselman, Andy Enfield,Thad Matta, Bobby Hurley, Dane Fife, Steve Alford, Dana Altman, Rick Barnes, Gregg Marshall, Anthony Grant.

Define 'clean'?:  Bill Self, Will Wade, Kelvin Sampson, Lon Kruger, Bruce Pearl, Rick Pitino, John Calipari

not sure you can definitively declare who is clean and who is not.  i think most are grey, but don't get caught.  that said, i'm not sure Drew belongs in that top group.  

3 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Define 'clean'?:  Bill Self, Will Wade, Kelvin Sampson, Lon Kruger, Bruce Pearl, Rick Pitino, John Calipari

From what I have read that I wouldn't automatically put Donovan on the clean list

8 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

What makes you think all of those coaches are clean?

Just a few examples:

Dana Altman: Literally coaches "Nike U"

Scott Drew: His staff threatened to deport Hanner Perea

Rick Barnes: How in the world did he recruit Kevin Durant, who is from Maryland, away from every school in between Maryland and Texas?

Andy Enfield: Wasn't USC named in some of the federal wiretapping stuff?

That's just off the top of my head. I like Billy Donovan, but any concern that he's Rick Pitino's guy and turned a program like Florida into a powerhouse? 

I think there is a difference between being a cheater and successfully operating in the gray area. I'd say a few on your clean list are the former and many, many of the rest fall into the latter category. 

Edit: To be clear, I have no problem with the gray area, I think in this day and age if you're not in the gray area then you're probably not winning consistently. I'd like to see IU navigate the gray area much, much better. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What makes you think all of those coaches are clean?

Just a few examples:

Dana Altman: Literally coaches "Nike U"

Scott Drew: His staff threatened to deport Hanner Perea

Rick Barnes: How in the world did he recruit Kevin Durant, who is from Maryland, away from every school in between Maryland and Texas?

Andy Enfield: Wasn't USC names in some of the federal wiretapping stuff?

That's just off the top of my head. I like Billy Donovan, but any concern that he's Rick Pitino's guy and turned a program like Florida into a powerhouse? 

I think there is a difference between being a cheater and successfully operating in the gray area. I'd say a few on your clean list are the former and many, many of the rest fall into the latter category. 

Could someone give me an example of the gray area?

Archived