Potential replacement coaches

Maybe a gray area example is allowing your coach to walk recruits across the court during Hoosier Hysteria? 

Not a great example because it's so public, which again makes this a stupid conversation because gray area things don't happen in broad daylight, but as an example a school that is successful and committed to finding every possible loophole would dig through the compliance book and come up with a reason to make that legal or at least make it not against the rules. 

Archie had to stop doing it. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Have you ever studied the NCAA rulebook and had to take the test that college coaches have to take on it? I haven't, and I'm going to guess you haven't either. Until you do that you're not going to know the loopholes. 

I don't know the loopholes my accountant works around, if I did I wouldn't need him and I would be an accountant myself. 

Maybe IU is in the gray area, but clearly IU stinks at it. So, we need to hire a coach that can excel in the gray area. 

Just because you lose is not proof that you are not playing in the gray area, maybe we are just bad at it.  Even teams who cheats out right don't always wins.  Do we think LSU got Ben Simmons with playing the gray area or did they just cheat.  I would say that they probably had to pay big  to get him and they did not even make the tournament.  

Also I wouldn't say you have to play in that area to win either because nothing has came out about teams like UVA or Villanova that has said anything has been going on in those programs.

I am just saying when asked the question do I hope IU plays in the gray area I want to know what that means before I say yes.  To me the gray area is just another way of saying we are slightly cheating.  I see the example of speeding and everyone does it which is true but there are people who gets pulled over and given tickets as well.  So what is the equivalent of speeding in college basket ball.  Also I want to know what the compliance office is preventing our coaches from doin in men's basketball that is preventing us from winning.  Plus is those same compliance office doing the same thing in women's basketball, football and baseball so how are they winning.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

That's assuming you completely ignore all of the signs in front of you. 

- 25 years of extremely inconsistent results and recruiting

- Self-reporting phone calls

- Self-reporting visiting a recruit on the wrong day

- The Rabjohns podcast where the said the compliance department is completely separate from the basketball administration and basically works to bust them as opposed to working with them to navigate the rules

- The numerous other instances of chatter around the university never wanting another Knight situation where the coach is a prominent figure

- The numerous other instances of chatter that IU's admin wants a squeaky clean program

No, I don't have memo's from the athletic department. I'm just putting pieces together from afar. 

And, if IU is really deep in the gray area, then they are royally awful at is for 20+ years that it's embarrassing. 

Agree mostly with what you are saying. However, your example of Barnes getting Durant to come to Texas, in my opinion is the same as Crean getting both Vonleh and Bryant to come to Bloomington.

So, in those two recruitments, did the administration look the other way? Did Crean cross the line from the gray area? 

Maybe we aren’t as squeaky clean as many would have you think 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

So how do we know if IU is not doing these things like others or how do we know what the others are doing.  Since no one can define what the gray area means or what these loopholes are then we have no idea is IU is doing them or not.

Scott, I get we don't know what the loopholes are, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Just like my accountant knows a little more than I do about tax breaks.  I'll you what, I live in SEC country. Go find on the internet where some USC blogger got a list of all the Bama recruits posing with their new cars. Some 30 pictures were posted of Bama football  players posing with cars that are more expensive than I own. Now Bama has never even been investigated, mush less cited. It is common understanding here that Bama has their lawyers making sure that there is no question they meet NCAA regulations. Maybe you would call that cheating, everyone down here calls it "grey area."

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Maybe a gray area example is allowing your coach to walk recruits across the court during Hoosier Hysteria? 

Not a great example because it's so public, which again makes this a stupid conversation because gray area things don't happen in broad daylight, but as an example a school that is successful and committed to finding every possible loophole would dig through the compliance book and come up with a reason to make that legal or at least make it not against the rules. 

Archie had to stop doing it. 

Was Romeo's recruitment in the gray area? Didn't dad take shoe money for an AAU team or something?  Not illegal, I don't think, but people report on it like it is shady.  I don't remember hearing anything from the compliance folks but then again I don't pay too much attention to that stuff.

Just now, MSHoosier said:

Scott, I get we don't know what the loopholes are, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Just like my accountant knows a little more than I do about tax breaks.  I'll you what, I live in SEC country. Go find on the internet where some USC blogger got a list of all the Bama recruits posing with their new cars. Some 30 pictures were posted of Bama football  players posing with cars that are more expensive than I own. Now Bama has never even been investigated, mush less cited. It is common understanding here that Bama has their lawyers making sure that there is no question they meet NCAA regulations. Maybe you would call that cheating, everyone down here calls it "grey area."

Getting cars are not loopholes that is out right cheating

2 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

Hmmm...some of us read Season on the Brink and had the opposite reaction...if I was worth a crap at the game, would have loved it...just like I enjoyed boot camp

Knowing you're being trained to be a part of something bigger and better than you is a chance of a lifetime.    Sign me up.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree mostly with what you are saying. However, your example of Barnes getting Durant to come to Texas, in my opinion is the same as Crean getting both Vonleh and Bryant to come to Bloomington.

So, in those two recruitments, did the administration look the other way? Did Crean cross the line from the gray area? 

We are squeaky compared to everyone else. Literally nobody else does what we did to Sampson. It was an embarrassing overreaction.

35 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

We are squeaky compared to everyone else. Literally nobody else does what we did to Sampson. It was an embarrassing overreaction.

The reason why we was so bad after that had nothing to do with how we handled phone calls.  Those players were kicked off the team or left because of their off court problems.  They were drug abusers, Pimps and never went to class. If it was about just phone calls it wouldn't have killed us since we gave up a couple of scholarships.  If everyone could have came back and kept the recruiting class Crean first year would have been a very good one.  To say our program was killed by how we handled phone calls are not correct.  It was the bad characters that Sampson brought in was what killed IU

54 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Who are you comparing us to? Everyone else?

This board is just all conjecture. No one posting on here really knows anything. 

You don’t know that we are “squeaky clean.” I don’t either. You have an opinion. You state it as fact. It’s not. Not necessarily. You might be right. But you can’t prove it.

I postulated that bringing in a couple of highly ranked East Coast kids might raise some eyebrows, similar to the example given with Durant to Texas. @BGleashas no idea if that recruitment was shady, nor do I with the recruiting of Vonleh and Bryant. However, the similarities are there, and since this board is steeped in conjecture, I have no issues in suggesting that Crean may not have been as clean as he appeared.

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This board is just all conjecture. No one posting on here really knows anything. 

You don’t know that we are “squeaky clean.” I don’t either. You have an opinion. You state it as fact. It’s not. Not necessarily. You might be right. But you can’t prove it.

I postulated that bringing in a couple of highly ranked East Coast kids might raise some eyebrows, similar to the example given with Durant to Texas. @BGleashas no idea if that recruitment was shady, nor do I with the recruiting of Vonleh and Bryant. However, the similarities are there, and since this board is steeped in conjecture, I have no issues in suggesting that Crean may not have been as clean as he appeared.

I have read that Crean could have been a little shady; however, not sure that there is any proof.  Thomas Bryant falls into the Romeo Langford category with Syracuse and Louisville being under investigations and/or sanctions at the time.  The Vonleh recruitment is the one that baffles me.  That was out of blue.  Who was the lead recruiter for him? 

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Crean showed up on the same list as Drew of dirtiest coaches. It's interesting that some people take the Drew votes as gospel yet dismiss the Crean votes. 

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Bryant was a nice recruit, Vonleh was top 10, but I wouldn't compare either to Durant. With that said, I don't have any illusions that Crean was squeaky clean and have said that several times. I think Crean was as clean as could be, until his back was against the wall. 

Remember when he was really struggling at one point, I think 2013-14 when the team was playing really bad and they were free falling in February, and out of the blue 2-3 top notch recruits (including Thon Maker) randomly (I say randomly because there was no report of their visit until right before the game when they got there) showed up at the same game on a Saturday in February. 

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

So the rumor over on banners is a Dolson presser is scheduled for tomorrow 3pm? 

Imagine him taking the mic to say “we realize we aren’t where we want to be at as a men’s basketball program, but we believe Archie will get us there are fully support his continued leadership of our program moving forward.”

(crickets)

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Imagine him taking the mic to say “we realize we aren’t where we want to be at as a men’s basketball program, but we believe Archie will get us there are fully support his continued leadership of our program moving forward.”

(crickets)

And tries to say that without laughing. 

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Drew?

i'm good with Drew, but i buy into the theory that it ain't happenin due to the Perea thing and how it has made his relationships with IN AAU coaches.  also that he is thought to be dirty in general.  at the same time, if we get him, i'll be excited.  

Archived