Potential replacement coaches

36 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Ngl, his comments were extremely insulting. “I’m not a kid anymore”, like jeez dude why don’t you double down and spit in Scott Dolson’s face while you’re at it. Sorry that we reached out and bothered you with an insane offer and wanted to treat you like a god 🙄

im bitter rn but enjoy your fellow “massholes” you aligned yourself with today asking for your resignation for the next 3 months. 

Yeah...I think a few folks heard and learned some things from his comments.  I was surprised after so many positive stories and comments about him were shared here and on BTB over the last few days.  My opinion of him changed, that's for sure.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I wonder now if it gets out that IU is offering 7-8mm/year if someone like Donvovan or Bennett makes contact?   Unlikely, but $$ talks. 

Hopefully we at reach out to the top coaches.  Offer Donovan, Wright, Few, or Bennett $7-8 million and make them actually say no.  They're each extremely unlikely for multiple reasons, but for that kind of money, you never know.  Most or all of those conversations would never become public anyways, so nothing to lose.

Also, if it did come out that we got turned down a few times, I doubt someone like Musselman would turn us down just because he was option 5.  He's making $2.5 million right now.  We double that (or more), and I doubt he'd care.  Also, could a coach like Musselman really blame a school for reaching out to some of the top 5 coaches of the last 10 years?

Start at the top of the list and work down.  Never assume the top of the list is out of reach, no matter how unlikely it is.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Hopefully we at reach out to the top coaches.  Offer Donovan, Wright, Few, or Bennett $7-8 million and make them actually say no.  They're each extremely unlikely for multiple reasons, but for that kind of money, you never know.  Most or all of those conversations would never become public anyways, so nothing to lose.

Also, if it did come out that we got turned down a few times, I doubt someone like Musselman would turn us down just because he was option 5.  He's making $2.5 million right now.  We double that (or more), and I doubt he'd care.  Also, could a coach like Musselman really blame a school for reaching out to some of the top 5 coaches of the last 10 years?

Start at the top of the list and work down.  Never assume the top of the list is out of reach, no matter how unlikely it is.

Yup. Or if you “settle” for Beard at $5.5mm or so ... not bad.  Musselman is definitely intriguing. He also coached with Smart before - I wonder if he’d lobby for the job with that angle.  Either way - his payday is coming whether here, Arkansas, or somewhere soon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Ngl, his comments were extremely insulting. “I’m not a kid anymore”, like jeez dude why don’t you double down and spit in Scott Dolson’s face while you’re at it. Sorry that we reached out and bothered you with an insane offer and wanted to treat you like a god 🙄

im bitter rn but enjoy your fellow “massholes” you aligned yourself with today asking for your resignation for the next 3 months. 

Honestly, hope he gets fired from the Celtics at some point and ends up in some place like OKC.  

His comments were insulting.  To me, he basically called the IU fanbase kids. 

I thought he was better than that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Beard, Pitino, Musselman, Beilein & Drew.  Give me Beard or Pitino.

I’d guess beard and/or musselman are the next two candidates.    Then there’s a big drop off to the next group - which I suspect it wouldn’t get there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bustout said:

I’d guess beard and/or musselman are the next two candidates.    Then there’s a big drop off to the next group - which I suspect it wouldn’t get there. 

With the caveat of now it’s known that IU will spend 7-8mm/year allegedly ... do they float something to Donovan, Wright and Bennett for a whiff?

Just now, Bustout said:

I’m not sure about that. I don’t think Dolson is going after Beard, Drew, or Musselman. I also don’t think it’ll be an IU guy, Beilein, or Matta. 

Just now, DC2345 said:

I’m not sure about that. I don’t think Dolson is going after Beard, Drew, or Musselman. I also don’t think it’ll be an IU guy, Beilein, or Matta. 

I definitely don’t think Drew.  But you don’t think he’ll talk to Beard nor Musselman?  

I see beilien as option 4 - complete last resort. 

who do you think then?

8 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I definitely don’t think Drew.  But you don’t think he’ll talk to Beard nor Musselman?  

I see beilien as option 4 - complete last resort. 

who do you think then?

I’ve heard they aren’t plan B and that plan B is likely in the tournament. That’s all I know and I’ve hear that couple of different places. That said who knows after today.

Edited by DC2345

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Where did the $7-$8 M info come from?  Is it reliable?  I was busy and didn’t read every page of these threads.  Is it good info?

I don't think we're going to throw Brad Stevens money at people not named Brad Stevens.  

$6 million for Beard, $5 million at Musselman would be my guess at what we would look to offer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I’ve heard they aren’t plan B and that plan B is likely in the tournament. That’s all I know and I’ve hear that couple of different places. That said who knows after today.

In my mind, that is Wright.  Don't tell me I'm wrong.  I need something new to get excited about lol.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

In my mind, that is Wright.  Don't tell me I'm wrong.  I need something new to get excited about lol.

It’s not Bennett I don’t think so maybe. I haven’t been able to figure it out. 

Edited by DC2345