Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well we made plenty of coaching changes and AD's changes.  It appears this time the excuse of the administration standing in the way is not valid.  So what else is there that could be keeping coaches from wanting to coach here

When you have presidents of Universities standing at the mic saying they’ll fix your program” and they’re doing it because THEY are feeling the heat publicly everywhere from social media to talk radio, to articles, etc...then you know you’ve got their attention. You just don’t quit till it’s fixed. Period. If bad coaching hires fire the AD. If bad AD hired fire the president. Replace the BOT. Fans need to take their program back. It’s theirs...not some stiffs in a room collecting 7 figures in some cases.

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

When you have presidents of Universities standing at the mic saying they’ll fix your program” and they’re doing it because THEY are feeling the heat publicly everywhere from social media to talk radio, to articles, etc...then you know you’ve got their attention. You just don’t quit till it’s fixed. Period. If bad coaching hires fire the AD. If bad AD hired fire the president. Replace the BOT. Fans need to take their program back. It’s theirs...not some stiffs in a room collecting 7 figures in some cases.

Just keep firing people is not the answer and there is a deeper problem.  I think us fans are the only one that views IU basketball as an elite program.  I know we don't like to hear it from outsiders when they talk about the IU fans but maybe they see things we don't want to see.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just keep firing people is not the answer and there is a deeper problem.  I think us fans are the only one that views IU basketball as an elite program.  I know we don't like to hear it from outsiders when they talk about the IU fans but maybe they see things we don't want to see.

I get it. And some will believe that. I don’t. And even to this day, educated badger fans I talk to can’t grasp how we can’t be at least close to the IU of old.

10 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I think we are a program on its death bed.  The people who remember what we were are getting older.  That old money won't be around omforever and the new money is certainly not seeing anything that would cause them to dump money into this sh*t show.  In one more decade I am in my 50's.  I was a senior when Knight was fired.  This next hire doesn't get it done then this program is toast.  We'll be like Dakich says, just like everyone else.  Because the only people who will remember when the program was worth a damn will all be approaching retirement.  To everyone younger than me, we're Iowa.  And Iowa doesn't move the needle.  IU will be behind the Colts, Pacers, and Notre Dame football.  We already fell behind the Colts.

We wasted 20 years.  That's basically a generation.  That is going to be doom for this program if this hire is not the right one.

5 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I get it. And some will believe that. I don’t. And even to this day, educated badger fans I talk to can’t grasp how we can’t be at least close to the IU of old.

Maybe the problem we worry touch about being what we use to.  I think one thing the AD could do is get away from Addias and go with Nike.

I also think we as fans need to get away from the old way of things like the candy stripes or putting names on the back of the jersey.  I think the band had worn the same uniforms from the 70's so maybe modernize something's could help.  Maybe update the game day experience in Assembly Hall would help as well.

Last night Indiana Sports Beat had a IU player round table with John Laskowski, Joe Hillman, AJ Guyton and Kurt Haston.  They all said if you can't get guys like Stevens you need to start over with an IU and to get back to that winning Culture.  I know at the end of the RMK eta I was time for a change but in hindsight I was wrong.  Even at the end we were still making the tournament every year and finishing in the top half of the conference.

They all said what we have seen from the last 4 coaches is not acceptable and think the problem is none of them knew what Indiana basketball really meant.  

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Dolson went balls to the wall to get get Stevens. He and a rich donor got together and this donor paid CAMs buyout.  

Turns out Brad Stevens(Judas) initials is an appropriate moniker.  BS(Bulls##t)  was stroking his ego and leading us on.

So screw you Brad #Masshole. Hope you crash and burn. Not because you didn't take take the job, but the shit you talked about us Hoosiers.  

Sour grapes. What did he say that was so offensive? He praised the state and the university, but didn't want to coach the team because he's content with staying in the NBA. And because he's the Celtics coach, and the majority of his fanbase is centered around Boston, he's merely placating them by calling himself that term.

I'm disappointed as well, but it's not the end of the world. We don't really know what the negotiation(s) truly looked like, and can only speculate... nothing wrong with him making a decision that is best for him.

And so we move on.

9 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Sour grapes. What did he say that was so offensive? He praised the state and the university, but didn't want to coach the team because he's content with staying in the NBA. And because he's the Celtics coach, and the majority of his fanbase is centered around Boston, he's merely placating them by calling himself that term.

I'm disappointed as well, but it's not the end of the world. We don't really know what the negotiation(s) truly looked like, and can only speculate... nothing wrong with him making a decision that is best for him.

And so we move on.

Go to page 95 in this thread and go from there. 

He called himself a Masshole in a press conference.  And pretty denigrated our fanbase calling us little kids. 

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last night Indiana Sports Beat had a IU player round table with John Laskowski, Joe Hillman, AJ Guyton and Kurt Haston.  They all said if you can't get guys like Stevens you need to start over with an IU and to get back to that winning Culture.  I know at the end of the RMK eta I was time for a change but in hindsight I was wrong.  Even at the end we were still making the tournament every year and finishing in the top half of the conference.

They all said what we have seen from the last 4 coaches is not acceptable and think the problem is none of them knew what Indiana basketball really meant.  

Is to say, who do they want is the better question. 

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Is to say, who do they want is the better question. 

They didn't mind getting Beilein and paring him with a guy like Fife or Lewis and Calbert.  They said that Beard would be a bad hire with his first to RMK. At the time they said Stevens would be great but this was Thursday night before all of this happened today.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Do you know where we could listen to that broadcast? Thank you. 

5 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think we are a program on its death bed.  The people who remember what we were are getting older.  That old money won't be around omforever and the new money is certainly not seeing anything that would cause them to dump money into this sh*t show.  In one more decade I am in my 50's.  I was a senior when Knight was fired.  This next hire doesn't get it done then this program is toast.  We'll be like Dakich says, just like everyone else.  Because the only people who will remember when the program was worth a damn will all be approaching retirement.  To everyone younger than me, we're Iowa.  And Iowa doesn't move the needle.  IU will be behind the Colts, Pacers, and Notre Dame football.  We already fell behind the Colts.

We wasted 20 years.  That's basically a generation.  That is going to be doom for this program if this hire is not the right one.

Agree with this 100%.  And it is why I argued they should have fired Davis after the national championship run.  The university has destroyed its most valuable asset.  For 20 years they have turned the keys of a Ferrari over to people who don’t know how to drive.  At some point in time, that Ferrari can’t be fixed and is only held together with Bondo.  

I don't think BS screwed us or demeaned us.  I think he did have some interest and Dolson went for it.  BS had to decide whether he would stay with the Celts or go home to his roots.  He has had success in the NBA, but he is the coach of one of the most iconic sports teams in history.  You are measured in NBA championships and not just that you were successful.  In that way IU is in a similar category.  It is not (and never has been) in the same category of coaching job as the Celtics, but not that far off.  Coaches at IU just like in Boston are measured by winning the big one just not being successful.  BS has been struggling.  He's not one the big one.  He hasn't even played for it.  His team is struggling even more this year.  He had to decide whether to leave or stay.  He decided to stay.  Lots of really great college coaches have not won the big one in the NBA.  He made his choice to stay with the pros.  That may be the wrong one.  The fact the he loves Boston and the organization is not enough.  He has to win an NBA Championship and soon or he's done there.  He still may wind up back in the college ranks.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

I don't think BS screwed us or demeaned us.  I think he did have some interest and Dolson went for it.  BS had to decide whether he would stay with the Celts or go home to his roots.  He has had success in the NBA, but he is the coach of one of the most iconic sports teams in history.  You are measured in NBA championships and not just that you were successful.  In that way IU is in a similar category.  It is not (and never has been) in the same category of coaching job as the Celtics, but not that far off.  Coaches at IU just like in Boston are measured by winning the big one just not being successful.  BS has been struggling.  He's not one the big one.  He hasn't even played for it.  His team is struggling even more this year.  He had to decide whether to leave or stay.  He decided to stay.  Lots of really great college coaches have not won the big one in the NBA.  He made his choice to stay with the pros.  That may be the wrong one.  The fact the he loves Boston and the organization is not enough.  He has to win an NBA Championship and soon or he's done there.  He still may wind up back in the college ranks.

This is petty, I will say that up front, but I hope the rest of his stay with the Massholes resembles last night.  Losing games and having all those people he "loves" doxxing his house they love him so much.  He chose his bed, I hope he gets his nose rubbed in it.  Then when he is in some NBA backwater like Oklahoma City at some point in the future, I hope he and the Mrs. sit around and wonder "what if...." sometime. And I hope the people that run IU never darken his door again.  If even a small percentage of how this went down is true, that guy can <expletive deleted> right off.

Petty?  Yep.  But so was his press conference.  

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is petty, I will say that up front, but I hope the rest of his stay with the Massholes resembles last night.  Losing games and having all those people he "loves" doxxing his house they love him so much.  He chose his bed, I hope he gets his nose rubbed in it.  Then when he is in some NBA backwater like Oklahoma City at some point in the future, I hope he and the Mrs. sit around and wonder "what if...." sometime. And I hope the people that run IU never darken his door again.  If even a small percentage of how this went down is true, that guy can <expletive deleted> right off.

Petty?  Yep.  But so was his press conference.  

I'm not quite that virulent in my opinion of Stevens and how this went down, but I'm not that far away from it either...I do think there will come a day when he regrets this decision...and if he ever takes a UNC or Duke type job, then the gloves are off...

That said, I wonder what all of the "flattered" and "I understand" talk concerning Indiana folks was about...was it just so we wouldn't hate him, or was he trying to keep a foot in the door?

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not quite that virulent in my opinion of Stevens and how this went down, but I'm not that far away from it either...I do think there will come a day when he regrets this decision...and if he ever takes a UNC or Duke type job, then the gloves are off...

That said, I wonder what all of the "flattered" and "I understand" talk concerning Indiana folks was about...was it just so we wouldn't hate him, or was he trying to keep a foot in the door?

I think he is a dick who used Dolson for another pay raise at a place where he isn't performing.  He thinks he is too cool for us now that he is at the cool kids table.  What he doesn't understand is that the one guy at that table that wants him there won't be able to stave off the hoarde that is asking why he is letting this nerd eat with him.

He'll get another NBA job after that, but chances of it being in a status area that he and his wife feel they are in now is quite a bit lower.  They are just as likely to end up in a Milwaukee as they are a Miami, LA, or New York....

The only truly available coach who has a dynamic offensive scheme is Beilen.  I don't care about the "thug" comment, that was the NBA, this is college.  His Michigan teams WON.  A LOT.  That is what IU needs.  After the BS pass it's a no-brainer.  

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, it might be that's how he feels.  I can't be sure, but I think it is.

So you're a very good coach and you take over as coach of one of the most iconic teams in all sports history.  You also love the college team that has made a very serious and lucrative offer because you went to their games with your family during a period when that team was one of the best with a rich history.  Are you going to say"I hate that college team" when it's not true?  Are you going to say "I hate the team I'm coaching" when you don't?  The guy had to make a choice, but it wasn't the one we wanted.  It's his choice not ours.

Won't try and pretend the events leading up to yesterday don't have me a tad ticked. With that said we took a mighty swing and missed. That's all we can ask is that we took the swing to begin with.

I'm starting to lean more towards Beilein right now....although I'd be very happy with Beard or Musselman too....but I'm just going to sit out the who will it be speculation until his body is in front of mic accepting the job. 

Archived