Potential replacement coaches

11 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Well, it might be that's how he feels.  I can't be sure, but I think it is.

So you're a very good coach and you take over as coach of one of the most iconic teams in all sports history.  You also love the college team that has made a very serious and lucrative offer because you went to their games with your family during a period when that team was one of the best with a rich history.  Are you going to say"I hate that college team" when it's not true?  Are you going to say "I hate the team I'm coaching" when you don't?  The guy had to make a choice, but it wasn't the one we wanted.  It's his choice not ours.

I understand all that, but if he so adamantly felt the way he expressed during that press conference yesterday from the beginning he should never have played footsies will Dolson...

SOMETHING made Dolson think he had a shot...

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Won't try and pretend the events leading up to yesterday don't have me a tad ticked. With that said we took a mighty swing and missed. That's all we can ask is that we took the swing to begin with.

I'm starting to lean more towards Beilein right now....although I'd be very happy with Beard or Musselman too....but I'm just going to sit out the who will it be speculation until his body is in front of mic accepting the job. 

I am not thrilled with beard but I couldn’t agree more on Beilein and Musselman 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand all that, but if he so adamantly felt the way he expressed during that press conference yesterday from the beginning he should never have played footsies will Dolson...

SOMETHING made Dolson think he had a shot...

Biggest positive from yesterday is that IU fans can now move on from the Brad Stevens fantasy. 

Plenty of very good coaches out there, time to go get one. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Won't try and pretend the events leading up to yesterday don't have me a tad ticked. With that said we took a mighty swing and missed. That's all we can ask is that we took the swing to begin with.

I'm starting to lean more towards Beilein right now....although I'd be very happy with Beard or Musselman too....but I'm just going to sit out the who will it be speculation until his body is in front of mic accepting the job. 

I agree. I’ve gone from level 10 excitement to 2. And if we hire anyone it’ll probably come up to 4-5, and if we hire someone on our second tier it’ll probably end up a 6-7.

• Like 1

I'm just throwing this out there as a genuine question for discussion...

If IU is legitimately willing to pay over 7 million dollars a year for a new coach, does anyone think this next hire will come out of left field? I don't mean that as in a bad way, but maybe if other coaches realize IU is serious and willing to pay accordingly and make the next coach one of the top 5 paid coaches in college, would it make some coaches (agents) reach out?

I still think Beard/Drew/Musselman are the most likely, but someone already suggested that Mack reached out that he was willing to listen to IU's pitch (I understand that is just an insider rumor, so I'm just using him as an example), so what are the odds a big name "home run" coach reaches out through back channels to Dolson?

Honestly, this would not shock me at all. There are legit questions surrounding the top names being thrown around.

I personally would be happy with Scott Drew, but I know some consider him "slimy" and there was the Hanner incident. Would Dolson still consider him? I have heard that he would listen to IU and strongly consider if they came with strong offer.

Many love Beard because he was with Knight at Texas Tech, but will he leave the state of Texas? Some are concerned about his lack of offense. I believe he would cost the most of these three.

Musselman has done well in short order at his college stops and he would be the most affordable (most likely), however, would he jump ship to the NBA ASAP? Would his antics drive the powers that be or the fans crazy?

OR is there an NBA coach or sleeper NCAA coach who would be intrigued by IU and the salary being offered?

I've mentioned some of this in the Fife thread already, but wanted to put it out here as well. I don't think Few will ever leave Gonzaga for anywhere, and I don't think Bennett will ever come to IU due to the hard feelings over his sister.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

If IU is legitimately willing to pay over 7 million dollars a year for a new coach, does anyone think this next hire will come out of left field? I don't mean that as in a bad way, but maybe if other coaches realize IU is serious and willing to pay accordingly and make the next coach one of the top 5 paid coaches in college, would it make some coaches (agents) reach out?

I still think Beard/Drew/Musselman are the most likely, but someone already suggested that Mack reached out that he was willing to listen to IU's pitch (I understand that is just an insider rumor, so I'm just using him as an example), so what are the odds a big name "home run" coach reaches out through back channels to Dolson?

Honestly, this would not shock me at all. There are legit questions surrounding the top names being thrown around.

I personally would be happy with Scott Drew, but I know some consider him "slimy" and there was the Hanner incident. Would Dolson still consider him? I have heard that he would listen to IU and strongly consider if they came with strong offer.

Many love Beard because he was with Knight at Texas Tech, but will he leave the state of Texas? Some are concerned about his lack of offense. I believe he would cost the most of these three.

Musselman has done well in short order at his college stops and he would be the most affordable (most likely), however, would he jump ship to the NBA ASAP? Would his antics drive the powers that be or the fans crazy?

OR is there an NBA coach or sleeper NCAA coach who would be intrigued by IU and the salary being offered?

I've mentioned some of this in the Fife thread already, but wanted to put it out here as well. I don't think Few will ever leave Gonzaga for anywhere, and I don't think Bennett will ever come to IU due to the hard feelings over his sister.

Completely agree. We just offered one of the best coaches in the sport more money than all but a couple basketball coaches in the world make.

There are a ton of coaches between Stevens and Beard.  No reason to not check interest in that group of coaches before we get down to the names being listed here.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I don't think you pay $7 million just because.  Who else out there do you think is worth that kind of a pay off?  To me, to offer that kind of money, you have to be pretty darn confident you have the surest of sure things.  Who do you think fits that category that isn't coaching at a school on par with us (i.e. Duke, UNC, etc.)

Edit it to add:  By on par I mean a school with the ability and desire to offer the kind of money we are talking.  We are not on par with the schools I listed from a winning standpoint, not anymore.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't think you pay $7 million just because.  Who else out there do you think is worth that kind of a pay off?  To me, to offer that kind of money, you have to be pretty darn confident you have the surest of sure things.  Who do you think fits that category that isn't coaching at a school on par with us (i.e. Duke, UNC, etc.)

Edit it to add:  By on par I mean a school with the ability and desire to offer the kind of money we are talking.  We are not on par with the schools I listed from a winning standpoint, not anymore.

Yeah, I don't think IU would offer 7 million to just anybody. I do think if Dolson wants Beard it will cost him significant cash...I'm just speculating, but I would guess he would ask for over 6 million a year. Drew...probably not quite as high, but still much more than Archie made.  My question is does anyone think there is a dark horse coach who might approach IU if they hear the checkbook is open?

Just for kicks I will throw out Jay Wright. He is making 4.4 million a year at Villanova. He is an East Coast guy and might not care about the money...but maybe he does. I would offer him 6-7 million a year, were I Dolson.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Feathery said:

So if an attractive style is a requirement for Dolson, wouldn’t that mean Oats, Drew, and Musselman are the 3 most likely candidates in question? I do like Chris Beard but his offense is not attractive to recruits. 

I like that Beard's defense is more aggressive than Archie's.  I like how they force a lot more turnovers, but even with those turnovers and more chances for quick, easy transition points, their offense hasn't been that great.  Better than what Archie's was here, but that tempo is ugly for how aggressive they play defense.  Always top 20 in turnover %, and pretty low in tempo every year.  I think we would have a lot of issues with his offense, and it doesn't seem like that attractive of a style.

And don't get me wrong, I'd be pretty happy with hiring him, and think he's an upgrade, but he's pretty low on my list of reasonable candidates.

Offense (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)

Archie - 66, 54, 82, 92

Beard - 33, 47, 25, 50

Defense

43, 32, 32, 65

20, 9, 1, 4

Turnover %

17.3, 17.4, 17.7, 19.3

23.2, 22.6,  22.3, 21.3

Tempo

292, 188, 215, 251

317, 236, 231, 247

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Would you offer the same amount to try and get Jay Wright as you would for BS? I think I would just dont see him going anywhere though 

You can try I guess...But I'm more sure that Wright would turn it down than I was on Stevens...He's a Philly guy and wants to stay at Villanova for life...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You can try I guess...But I'm more sure that Wright would turn it down than I was on Stevens...He's a Philly guy and wants to stay at Villanova for life...

I agree. Are Wright and BS on that same level of pay. I think so but feel after thoseb2 it drops quite a bit to Beard and company but will it take that type of offer to lure them. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I like that Beard's defense is more aggressive than Archie's.  I like how they force a lot more turnovers, but even with those turnovers and more chances for quick, easy transition points, their offense hasn't been that great.  Better than what Archie's was here, but that tempo is ugly for how aggressive they play defense.  Always top 20 in turnover %, and pretty low in tempo every year.  I think we would have a lot of issues with his offense, and it doesn't seem like that attractive of a style.

And don't get me wrong, I'd be pretty happy with hiring him, and think he's an upgrade, but he's pretty low on my list of reasonable candidates.

Offense (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)

Archie - 66, 54, 82, 92

Beard - 33, 47, 25, 50

Defense

43, 32, 32, 65

20, 9, 1, 4

Turnover %

17.3, 17.4, 17.7, 19.3

23.2, 22.6,  22.3, 21.3

Tempo

292, 188, 215, 251

317, 236, 231, 247

Good stuff. I also think the terrible offensive style by Archie is why Purdue has started to take the lead in state for recruits. 

• Like 1

Is anyone else not convinced that this stuff with stevens actually happened? 

Also, I'd be happy with the stevens hire, but still wouldn't completely trust a guy who's been in the nba for 8 years. Not too mention he came off as a complete elitist jerk in the last interview. Enjoy getting fired in a year or two at most, and going to a crappier nba team.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. Are Wright and BS on that same level of pay. I think so but feel after thoseb2 it drops quite a bit to Beard and company but will it take that type of offer to lure them. 

Yeah, isn't Beard already making $6M? Would probably be Stevens money to get him.