Potential replacement coaches

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Your opinion isn't the dishonest part, it's the statistics you're citing. It's as dishonest about the reality of what you're saying as people saying Archie missed the tournament every year at IU. 

At least the people saying Archie missed the tournament every year are technically right, you're trying to pass off a 6 seed and an 11 seed as comparable seasons. Come on, man. 

Well, I'm certainly not following your line of thinking...

I put the statistics out there to back the position that the two seasons are certainly comparable...Seeding aside, the numbers speak for themselves...More total wins...more quality out of conference wins, and slightly below .500 in a conference that was going to get 9-10 teams in the dance...and to further my point, IU's SOS was 14th in 2019-20, as where TT's was 68th this year...

You said at the beginning of this I was validating my stance "because I said so."

So far, it's you that hasn't brought anything to back up what you're saying...Just because you "say so."

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I didn't see what started the conversation, so I might have missed parts of it, but a couple differences between hiring Allen and hiring an assistant basketball coach to be head coach.

In football, assistants have 10x the responsibility as what most assistants in basketball have.  Much easier to see in football when an assistant will be a good head coach.

With Allen, we also had him on staff for a season, so we could see what we had.  Extremely hard/impossible to see that from an outside perspective.  Sure, people knew he did a great job as a DC, but nobody from the outside would have known his personality like we would have.  We don't have anybody on the basketball staff to step in like that.

I don't have any inside info on it, but I would bet a lot of money that a big part of the reason Wilson was let go was because we knew what we had in Allen and thought we were going to lose him.

I'll simply defer to the Juwan Howard point...

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I didn't see what started the conversation, so I might have missed parts of it, but a couple differences between hiring Allen and hiring an assistant basketball coach to be head coach.

In football, assistants have 10x the responsibility as what most assistants in basketball have.  Much easier to see in football when an assistant will be a good head coach.

With Allen, we also had him on staff for a season, so we could see what we had.  Extremely hard/impossible to see that from an outside perspective.  Sure, people knew he did a great job as a DC, but nobody from the outside would have known his personality like we would have.  We don't have anybody on the basketball staff to step in like that.

I don't have any inside info on it, but I would bet a lot of money that a big part of the reason Wilson was let go was because we knew what we had in Allen and thought we were going to lose him.

Depends on the coach and his/her program philosophy.  I know of some who give full recruiting responsibilities to assistants for example. Also, dealing with parents at times.  Also, the office staff to some basically run the operations.  Some have the director of basketball position as an honorary role, gameplaning role, some have that person run the show basically.

To me, if you can motivate, do the pr circuit, and teach you can easily make the transition from assistant to head coach.  

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, I'm certainly not following your line of thinking...

I put the statistics out there to back the position that the two seasons are certainly comparable...Seeding aside, the numbers speak for themselves...More total wins...more quality out of conference wins, and slightly below .500 in a conference that was going to get 9-10 teams in the dance...and to further my point, IU's SOS was 14th in 2019-20, as where TT's was 68th this year...

You said at the beginning of this I was validating my stance "because I said so."

So far, it's you that hasn't brought anything to back up what you're saying...Just because you "say so."

That's just it though, no neutral party agrees with your interpretation of the numbers. There's a reason the seeds are so off, there's a reason the KenPom is so off, and it isn't because they're comparable seasons. 

Beard, taking Covid out of the equation, would be averaging 25 wins per year over 4 years and very well make the second weekend of the tournament in every tournament. If you can't see how that's a massive upgrade from our past four years where we didn't in any single season what he is averaging I'm not sure what to tell you. 

• Like 2

Beard sounds good to me. I like the RMK ties and his attitude. He gets it I think!

Don’t poo poo Andy Enfield though  he was very well liked here in SW Fla when he coached FGCU and took them to Sweet16.  His players love him and he’s a master teacher of shooting  I think he still holds the NCAA free throw shooting percentage record himself when he played at Johns Hopkins  I think it was 92%.  He’s doing good think at USC which isn’t exactly a basketball school if ya know what I mean.  And his wife was a super model!  Lol  good guy!  We will see them play at4:30 today.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, NaplesHoosier said:

Beard sounds good to me. I like the RMK ties and his attitude. He gets it I think!

Don’t poo poo Andy Enfield though  he was very well liked here in SW Fla when he coached FGCU and took them to Sweet16.  His players love him and he’s a master teacher of shooting  I think he still holds the NCAA free throw shooting percentage record himself when he played at Johns Hopkins  I think it was 92%.  He’s doing good think at USC which isn’t exactly a basketball school if ya know what I mean.  And his wife was a super model!  Lol  good guy!  We will see them play at4:30 today.

Enfield is highly unlikely:

In December 2019, USC received a notice of allegations from the NCAA related to former assistant coach Tony Bland, who was sentenced to two years of probation after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit bribery. Bland admitted to accepting a bribe to direct recruits to a specific advisor during their recruitment.

Asked if that investigation would play a role in deciding whether to extend Enfield’s contract, Bohn said, “I think that you have to look at all those aspects. We’ll see how all those different pieces come together, but again, I think what Andy and his staff and these players have done is a special season and I think it’s really important to focus on that.”

2 hours ago, Bustout said:

If muss relies on transfers - this is probably the year to hire him.   But every candidate comes with risk like you all mentioned... would Muss leave for NBA?  Would Beard take Texas job if Shaka went sideways again?  

Is there anyway for certain we can say they won’t? I mean probably not. Everyone keeps saying beard is a Texas guy so how can we say he won’t leave for that job? And muss has coached in the nba before so we can’t say he won’t leave either. So who knows. I mean how do we know if we had gotten stevens after he did really really well here that he wouldn’t go back to the nba? There’s always chance. 

8 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Is there anyway for certain we can say they won’t? I mean probably not. Everyone keeps saying beard is a Texas guy so how can we say he won’t leave for that job? And muss has coached in the nba before so we can’t say he won’t leave either. So who knows. I mean how do we know if we had gotten stevens after he did really really well here that he wouldn’t go back to the nba? There’s always chance. 

All true. Which, if all the rumors about Stevens were so close blah blah blah only to fall apart at the 11th hour, maybe the door isn’t completely shut.   

But as someone mentioned, it probably means someone built IU back up pretty good for them to leave.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In December 2019, USC received a notice of allegations from the NCAA related to former assistant coach Tony Bland, who was sentenced to two years of probation after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit bribery. Bland admitted to accepting a bribe to direct recruits to a specific advisor during their recruitment.

Asked if that investigation would play a role in deciding whether to extend Enfield’s contract, Bohn said, “I think that you have to look at all those aspects. We’ll see how all those different pieces come together, but again, I think what Andy and his staff and these players have done is a special season and I think it’s really important to focus on that.”

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Rumor he Enfield had gotten a feeler.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bustout said:

All true. Which, if all the rumors about Stevens were so close blah blah blah only to fall apart at the 11th hour, maybe the door isn’t completely shut.   

But as someone mentioned, it probably means someone built IU back up pretty good for them to leave.  

That’s the only good thing I guess. If they are leaving for the nba that means they have built our program up to where it should be and we should be able to hire a great replacement. 

• Like 2

Long post warning!  Sorry

i watched the round table with guyton Las, Hillman and haston.  The former players are frustrated that the storied program they played in and helped develop has fallen so far.  Also, it seemed they feel almost forgotten, and not really part of the program.  

That is why they were pushing an IU guy to re-establish the culture.  but Las also wanted a coach with power 5 success.  Not many, if any IU guys Exist with power 5 success.

beard may help please and reconnect the knight era players, but I’m not sure his style is cutting edge as being sought  By dolson.

musselman has no IU ties, but has an attractive style of play and the personality to engage The fan base and ALL former players (not just knight era).  I also think he will be very creative in the potential changes with transfers and $ for college players.

At this point I think musselman with guyton and maybe Cheaney on his bench would be great for the program.   

Thanks for reading!  And I am thankful for this forum to help keep me interested in our beloved program over the past few years!

4 minutes ago, Threedom said:

i watched the round table with guyton Las, Hillman and haston.  The former players are frustrated that the storied program they played in and helped develop has fallen so far.  Also, it seemed they feel almost forgotten, and not really part of the program.  

That is why they were pushing an IU guy to re-establish the culture.  but Las also wanted a coach with power 5 success.  Not many, if any IU guys Exist with power 5 success.

beard may help please and reconnect the knight era players, but I’m not sure his style is cutting edge as being sought  By dolson.

musselman has no IU ties, but has an attractive style of play and the personality to engage The fan base and ALL former players (not just knight era).  I also think he will be very creative in the potential changes with transfers and $ for college players.

At this point I think musselman with guyton and maybe Cheaney on his bench would be great for the program.   

Thanks for reading!  And I am thankful for this forum to help keep me interested in our beloved program over the past few years!

I'd look for Smart as the former IU player on the bench for Muss. THey have a connection already. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Las also said he had talked to Beilein over the years and said Beilein knows and loves the history at IU.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd look for Smart as the former IU player on the bench for Muss. THey have a connection already. 

Plus - Muss is from Ohio, dad coached in B1G, so he knows what IU b-ball represents.  And his Smart connection is definitely intriguing.   No direct ties per se, but it’s not like he’s born and raised in New York.  

on the other hand, I’m sure Pat Knight is recruiting Beard to IU.  They are best buds.  

Personally, I’m just overly sensitive to the fact IU just brought in a defensive guy in Archie.  I know Beards success in the Big 12 far outweighs any A10 success, but Muss NBA experience and offense-focused approach has me more intrigued for some reason.   I’m probably over analyzing.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Think you offer Beard/Drew/Pitino/Musselman +6 million a year and go from there.

Sounds like Drew has too many skeletons in the Indy area.  Also why Glass never sniffed him 4 years ago. 

And not sure Pitino gets a chance here with his background. 

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

Plus - Muss is from Ohio, dad coached in B1G, so he knows what IU b-ball represents.  And his Smart connection is definitely intriguing.   No direct ties per se, but it’s not like he’s born and raised in New York.  

on the other hand, I’m sure Pat Knight is recruiting Beard to IU.  They are best buds.  

Personally, I’m just overly sensitive to the fact IU just brought in a defensive guy in Archie.  I know Beards success in the Big 12 far outweighs any A10 success, but Muss NBA experience and offense-focused approach has me more intrigued for some reason.   I’m probably over analyzing.   

I agree with everything you said. I prefer Muss, but I'd be thrilled with Beard. Either one would be great, but I like the approach of Muss a bit more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NaplesHoosier said:

USC is shooting 64% from the foul line this year which is like 310th in the country. 

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with everything you said. I prefer Muss, but I'd be thrilled with Beard. Either one would be great, but I like the approach of Muss a bit more. 

Given their respective track records, I could see Beard being a safer play today - which, given the fragile state of IU and really needing a sure thing this time around - may not be the worst.   

But it wouldn’t surprise me down the road if Muss has more success than Beard.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I think you're pretty close.

Dolson says he wants a "cutting edge" exciting offense, and his remarks indicates he means NBA type.  That would cut against Beard though Dolson said he's willing to work with a coach on that issue, but it seems a deal breaker if the coach doesn't want to go that way.

That would tell me that someone like Musselman and Enfield would be prime targets.  Don't sleep on Keith Smart.  He has no college coaching experience but lots of NBA experience.  Keith is a charismatic person, and he started his coaching career in Fort Wayne.  I've read he's a good developer of talent, and he has lots of connections.  He's now with Miami.  He would be a popular choice with the fan base.

I wonder if Dolson sees a trend in college basketball to an NBA offense.  Look at UM and Howard.  Yes, I know it's only one case, and he's been there only a short period of time.  BTW Howard was an assistant at MIami with Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1