Potential replacement coaches

13 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I think you're pretty close.

Dolson says he wants a "cutting edge" exciting offense, and his remarks indicates he means NBA type.  That would cut against Beard though Dolson said he's willing to work with a coach on that issue, but it seems a deal breaker if the coach doesn't want to go that way.

That would tell me that someone like Musselman and Enfield would be prime targets.  Don't sleep on Keith Smart.  He has no college coaching experience but lots of NBA experience.  Keith is a charismatic person, and he started his coaching career in Fort Wayne.  I've read he's a good developer of talent, and he has lots of connections.  He's now with Miami.  He would be a popular choice with the fan base.

I wonder if Dolson sees a trend in college basketball to an NBA offense.  Look at UM and Howard.  Yes, I know it's only one case, and he's been there only a short period of time.  BTW Howard was an assistant at MIami with Keith.

I do not follow the NBA much. But, if Smart can coach up players and get them ready for the NBA he would seem to be a pretty sweet to me.

You cannot convince that Smart would not be able to recruit in the state of Indiana...

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I think you're pretty close.

Dolson says he wants a "cutting edge" exciting offense, and his remarks indicates he means NBA type.  That would cut against Beard though Dolson said he's willing to work with a coach on that issue, but it seems a deal breaker if the coach doesn't want to go that way.

That would tell me that someone like Musselman and Enfield would be prime targets.  Don't sleep on Keith Smart.  He has no college coaching experience but lots of NBA experience.  Keith is a charismatic person, and he started his coaching career in Fort Wayne.  I've read he's a good developer of talent, and he has lots of connections.  He's now with Miami.  He would be a popular choice with the fan base.

I wonder if Dolson sees a trend in college basketball to an NBA offense.  Look at UM and Howard.  Yes, I know it's only one case, and he's been there only a short period of time.  BTW Howard was an assistant at MIami with Keith.

200 (3).gif

1 minute ago, Sea Turtle said:

I would take Pitino in a heartbeat. You know he has a chip on his shoulder and would be beyond careful with his last chance at a big time job.  He can flat out coach.

I just don't think Dolson or the boosters would give him a chance.

Pitino is the best coach we can get if that's all we are looking at. I'm including Brad Stevens in that.

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I change my mind every five minutes lol.  Let’s see how their schemes react  to each other tomorrow and maybe that will give us an idea.   I think.....if I truly just got to pick one....it would be Beard.   I just like the toughness, competitiveness, and attitude of his teams.  

How about you or anyone else?

I think the thing that’s bothered me about IU teams over the last several years is their lack of toughness. Sure, shooting has been horrible as well, but you can bring in shooters - don’t know why we haven’t focused on that, but that’s the past. 

But toughness can carry you far in every facet of the game, especially late game. I’ve watched too many IU games in the last decade where the other team just seemed like they wanted it more. They were more fired up. They had more passion, effort, and it led to results on the scoreboard. 

F#*k that. We should be imposing our will on other teams with attitude and toughness every single game. I want a coach that teaches that. 

I’ve never been the smartest, best looking, or biggest person in most rooms. But I know how to work harder than the other people in the room. I know how hard you have to push. That translates to results. Let’s get back to doing that. 

For me if we can't get Stevens, Beard or Drew the best thing for IU is getting Beilein.  He has been the best coach in the big ten the last decade and two years ago was 30-7.  I know his age but don't care one bit about that because I feel he is one of the best offensive minds in the game.  I thi l if everyone stays including TJD this team is better than Beilein first couple teams at UM.  If he brings in the assistant he had at UM that was his defensive coordinator then we will be good.  Also bring in an assistant like Cheaney or Fife to be groomed to be the next coach.  Painter had 1 year of HC experience at S. Illinois when he came to Purdue to be coach in waiting.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me if we can't get Stevens, Beard or Drew the best thing for IU is getting Beilein.  He has been the best coach in the big ten the lady decade and two years ago was 30-7.  I know his age but don't care one bit about that because I feel he is one of the best offensive minds in the game.  I thi l if everyone stays including TJD this team is better than Beilein first couple teams at UM.  If he brings in the assistant he had at UM that was his defensive coordinator then we will be good.  Also bring in an assistant like Cheaney or Fife to be groomed to be the next coach.  Painter had 1 year of HC experience at S. Illinois when he came to Purdue to be coach in waiting.

I think Beilein is the go to as well. Even if we talk about his age and not staying 8 years that is fine. He can stabilize the program and show positive success. Then we can move to the next HC.

5 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Pitino & Beilein would be the two best coaches we could get.  Beard, Musselman, Oates, Matta & Drew is a step below (still 100 steps above Archie & Crean).  Fife and the other IU guys are well below the group above.

Wtf has Drew done to be 100 steps above Crean? 

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me if we can't get Stevens, Beard or Drew the best thing for IU is getting Beilein.  He has been the best coach in the big ten the lady decade and two years ago was 30-7.  I know his age but don't care one bit about that because I feel he is one of the best offensive minds in the game.  I thi l if everyone stays including TJD this team is better than Beilein first couple teams at UM.  If he brings in the assistant he had at UM that was his defensive coordinator then we will be good.  Also bring in an assistant like Cheaney or Fife to be groomed to be the next coach.  Painter had 1 year of HC experience at S. Illinois when he came to Purdue to be coach in waiting.

Read your response wrong. ***

Stevens, Beard, or Drew*

Beard, 14 millon buy out which drops to 7 millon if he leaves the state. $4.5 million a year. Is from Texas, all his family is in Texas. Kids in school, IN TEXAS. No state tax in Texas. Do I need to go on? Are we really going to pay 17 million in buy outs? I think we can count this one out.

8 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Waaaay more consistent.  Crean's results were/are all over the place.  Crean is just all over the place in general.

Zero chance he's 100 steps above him. I mean maybe you can say better... I would say that. 100 steps? Nahh.. not close. 

14 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Beard, 14 millon buy out which drops to 7 millon if he leaves the state. $4.5 million a year. Is from Texas, all his family is in Texas. Kids in school, IN TEXAS. No state tax in Texas. Do I need to go on? Are we really going to pay 17 million in buy outs? I think we can count this one out.

What’s your source?  Everything I’ve read is his buyout is $3 M outside conference.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What’s your source?  Everything I’ve read is his buyout is $3 M outside conference.  

I've also read that at least one of his two kids is in college (Columbia in NY), so that may not be an issue at all. 

Archived