Potential replacement coaches

58 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What’s your source?  Everything I’ve read is his buyout is $3 M outside conference.  

Same. Plus, like you said, kids are getting older, Lubbock is a dump, and I’m sure Pat Knight is recruiting him like crazy.    

His offense is my biggest concern personally. 

• Like 2

This is gonna be a little outside the box, and I am sure that it would never happen, but if I was the AD... 

I would have every HC candidate sit down with Don Fischer for a couple of hours. Not the sole criteria, but I know damn well that Fisch would be able to determine whether the guy gets what it means to lead this program. Don has been around forever, and has seen it all. I would totally trust his opinions and feedback.

As I said, would never happen...but I think it should.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This is gonna be a little outside the box, and I am sure that it would never happen, but if I was the AD... 

I would have every HC candidate sit down with Don Fischer for a couple of hours. Not the sole criteria, but I know damn well that Fisch would be able to determine whether the guy gets what it means to lead this program. Don has been around forever, and has seen it all. I would totally trust his opinions and feedback.

Brilliant. This is one of the best suggestions I have ever seen.  Well done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Theo Epstein had Cubs candidates do mock press conferences and media sessions.  Similar idea.    

Not that I see it happening, but Bennett is probably the last coach I would want IU to hire.  He's basically the entire B1G conference on steroids.  Slow, efficient, physical, and terrible in the tournament.  Yeah, I know he had the championship run, but that was a fluke.  They had a really good team that year, but they had no business winning some of those games.  Props to them for doing it, but I don't see that happening again for him.

With Bennett, I could see us doing great in the regular season, and flaming out in the tournament.  8-10 years of solid results with disappointing endings.  I'd rather take a chance on a mid-major who might be great or might flame out.  Not to mention, his games are about as exciting as getting punched in the face.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Talk on TV.

He’s at $2.5 M and it drops to $2 M on April 1 according to Inside the Hall. I’ve read elsewhere that it’s at $3 M.  Either way, it’s manageable IMO.  There’s a poison pill if he stays in conference but that’s immaterial to us.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

His system is too vulnerable to tournament upsets. His title team was a bit of a fluke because it was his highest scoring team. Bracketed with first round upsets as a 1 and 4 seed

And not just this year and their loss as a 1 seed.  Outside of their championship run, he's been upset almost every single year he's been in the tournament.  Multiple losses to much worse seeds, and multiple blowout losses.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

His system is too vulnerable to tournament upsets. His title team was a bit of a fluke because it was his highest scoring team. Bracketed with first round upsets as a 1 and 4 seed

What system isn't vulnerable? I'm not sure you can call a title team a "fluke".

Just now, ephul said:

What system isn't vulnerable? I'm not sure you can call a title team a "fluke".

His teams play at such a slow pace it allows lower seeded teams to hang around. His title team was an unusually high scoring team for Bennett, so their margin for error was less than his typical teams. They still should have lost to Purdue 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

And not just this year and their loss as a 1 seed.  Outside of their championship run, he's been upset almost every single year he's been in the tournament.  Multiple losses to much worse seeds, and multiple blowout losses.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure Purdue had them beat the year they won the title.  Glad Purdue lost though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

His teams play at such a slow pace it allows lower seeded teams to hang around. His title team was an unusually high scoring team for Bennett, so their margin for error was less than his typical teams. They still should have lost to Purdue 

It's going to help you at times and hurt you at times, as will any system. And it'll moreso help being that it is the tempo they want to play at and are used to.

Teams that love to get out and run typically have issues when they get slowed down. Look at some of Tom Crean's teams and many SEC teams. Half court offense isn't a strong suit. 

They should've lost, but they didn't. And they went on to win it all with that system.

Fast teams are susceptible to turnovers, which can let a team back in a game in a heartbeat.

Chris Beard's defense vs Musselman's offense will be interesting. Never watched Musselmans offense. What happens when they get slowed down?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

Bennett’s team pace is so slow. Your usually going to be in every game, but so is your opponent🤦‍♂️

Never been a fan of his or his style.  Dude can coach no doubt, but he’s just a better version of what Archie does.  Plus he isn’t coming anyway I doubt.

• Like 3