Potential replacement coaches

48 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Not that I see it happening, but Bennett is probably the last coach I would want IU to hire.  He's basically the entire B1G conference on steroids.  Slow, efficient, physical, and terrible in the tournament.  Yeah, I know he had the championship run, but that was a fluke.  They had a really good team that year, but they had no business winning some of those games.  Props to them for doing it, but I don't see that happening again for him.

With Bennett, I could see us doing great in the regular season, and flaming out in the tournament.  8-10 years of solid results with disappointing endings.  I'd rather take a chance on a mid-major who might be great or might flame out.  Not to mention, his games are about as exciting as getting punched in the face.

I would take Bennett in a heartbeat and finish in the top of the conference every year.  I rather have 3 months of really good results over bring able to make a run in the tournament every few years 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would take Bennett in a heartbeat and finish in the top of the conference every year.  I rather have 3 months of really good results over bring able to make a run in the tournament every few years 

My issue is that I feel like with him, he'd be good enough to stay for 10 years, but not have the tournament success we want.  Then we'd be looking back and saying it's been 45 years since we won a championship, and we have a coach who is too good to fire, but not good enough to get the results we want.  Obviously a lot of speculation in that, but he's just terrible in the tournament outside of those few lucky games in a row.

I have faith we'd consistently be towards the top of the conference, but I also have faith we'd consistently be the most boring team in the country, and flame out in the tournament.  I'd rather take a flyer on an exciting coach who will either be the long term answer or be bad enough to get fired.  Home run or strike out.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

My issue is that I feel like with him, he'd be good enough to stay for 10 years, but not have the tournament success we want.  Then we'd be looking back and saying it's been 45 years since we won a championship, and we have a coach who is too good to fire, but not good enough to get the results we want.  Obviously a lot of speculation in that, but he's just terrible in the tournament outside of those few lucky games in a row.

I have faith we'd consistently be towards the top of the conference, but I also have faith we'd consistently be the most boring team in the country, and flame out in the tournament.  I'd rather take a flyer on an exciting coach who will either be the long term answer or be bad enough to get fired.  Home run or strike out.

So in the next 10 years if  you could win 5 conference championships, 2 conference tournament championships and 1 national championship would you take it.  Also if we could be a #1 seed 3 times and make it the sweet 16 4 times would you take it.  As long as we win I don't care if it is 64-50 or 94-80.  Also would you take a 74 percent winning percentage in that time

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So in the next 10 years if  you could win 5 conference championships, 2 conference tournament championships and 1 national championship would you take it.  Also if we could be a #1 seed 3 times and make it the sweet 16 4 times would you take it.  As long as we win I don't care if it is 64-50 or 94-80.  Also would you take a 74 percent winning percentage in that time

I would take that, but what I'm saying is I don't see him having that championship run here, or at Virginia again.  That year was by far the outlier in his tournament resume, and it took an insane amount of luck to happen.

Also, if I only cared about winning even if it was boring, I'd go find some good soccer team to follow. I like to enjoy watching the product while it is winning.

It doesn't really matter anyways. He's probably on the exact opposite end of the style Dolson said he was looking for, and I don't think he come here even of we did want him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I would take that, but what I'm saying is I don't see him having that championship run here, or at Virginia again.  That year was by far the outlier in his tournament resume, and it took an insane amount of luck to happen.

Also, if I only cared about winning even if it was boring, I'd go find some good soccer team to follow. I like to enjoy watching the product while it is winning.

It doesn't really matter anyways. He's probably on the exact opposite end of the style Dolson said he was looking for, and I don't think he come here even of we did want him. 

I take substance over style any day.  Like you said Bennett, Beard or Drew doesn't fit the offensive style Dolson was talking about

Edited by IU Scott

10 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Keep hearing Mike Woodson as a serious candidate...Mike White could be one also

Why would White leave Florida?  He’s from there and making over $3mm.  I feel like he’s regressed in recent years.  

Woodson has been brought up before.  But would you pay a $10mm buyout to get him?  I realize it gets offset- but it’s a bold statement- for Woodson?

I ain’t going to lie...I’m so done with this search. Everyone has flaws..even the holy grail Stevens. All we want to do is tear down every guy that comes up. Predicting right now a lot of people are going to be upset with the hire. We hired a good coach last time and he still flopped. Who knows what will happen but these discussions just goes round and round like a dog chasing it’s tail. It’s exhausting. I don’t really care who it is anymore. I just hope to find a guy that makes us relevant and gives me a reason to care come March because not having a dog in the fight kills any joy in watching the tournament.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I take substance over style any day.  Like you said Bennett, Beard or Drew really fits the offensive style Dolson was talking about

Bennett’s and Beards offense fits what Dolson is looking for?  I thought he said he wants something more modern, attractive to today’s players nationally ... ie - Not Archie.   Archie didn’t land any big recruits outside of the state because his offense was not attractive.       

Unless I am not understanding what you are saying?  I view Beard and Bennett as very defense first type guys.    Musselman, however, as an Offense first type guy. 

5 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Bennett’s and Beards offense fits what Dolson is looking for?  I thought he said he wants something more modern, attractive to today’s players nationally ... ie - Not Archie.   Archie didn’t land any big recruits outside of the state because his offense was not attractive.       

Unless I am not understanding what you are saying?  I view Beard and Bennett as very defense first type guys.    Musselman, however, as an Offense first type guy. 

I said None of those fit what Dolson is looking for offensively.  Actually not to many out there in college fits that discriptiom.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I ain’t going to lie...I’m so done with this search. Everyone has flaws..even the holy grail Stevens. All we want to do is tear down every guy that comes up. Predicting right now a lot of people are going to be upset with the hire. We hired a good coach last time and he still flopped. Who knows what will happen but these discussions just goes round and round like a dog chasing it’s tail. It’s exhausting. I don’t really care who it is anymore. I just hope to find a guy that makes us relevant and gives me a reason to care come March because not having a dog in the fight kills any joy in watching the tournament.

I know once this search is over there will be people complaining no matter who we get.  All I know is that I don't care what others say about the hire. If they hire someone I really like but others don't I couldn't care less what others think.  I will back the next coach no matter who it is and hope every fan would do the same.  I saw some guy on BtownBanner say if they hire Beilein he will stop supporting IU.  I just never understand that kind of thinking especially about a coach like Beilein.  I could see it if it was Sampson or Calapari

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

They should have lost to Auburn too, but got bailed out when they fouled Guy with under a second left.  

Don't forget the terrible missed double dribble right before that. UVA was gifted the title - luck against PU and terrible calls at the end against Auburn and TT. 

• Like 2