Potential replacement coaches

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

But I never compared Miller's overall record to Beard. That's what @KoB2011 isn't seeing. I highlighted one year of Archie's (last year) to one years of Beard's (this year) to support my opinion that Beard was not a "home run" hire. There are very few of those out there, and we're not even in the running for any of them.

Is Beard a better coach than Archie? Based on results at P6 schools I think you'd have to give him the edge. I don't think he's a "massive upgrade." He's had a few mediocre years. 

And I think for the amount of money we'd have to throw at him to get him to Bloomington, which would get his salary at the level of the "home runs" we're not getting the sure thing some believe.

Yeah that's just the thing, you're the only person on the planet who doesn't think 25 wins/year and an E8, Runner Up, cancelled tournament, and what could very well be an E8 again this year isn't a massive upgrade over Archie. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah that's just the thing, you're the only person on the planet who doesn't think 25 wins/year and an E8, Runner Up, cancelled tournament, and what could very well be an E8 again this year isn't a massive upgrade over Archie. 

I posted yesterday that I'd be worried about Beard's offense, but even I would say he'd be a homerun hire.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I posted yesterday that I'd be worried about Beard's offense, but even I would say he'd be a homerun hire.

I think it's fair to have concerns about any candidate, but you don't have to be a perfect candidate to be a massive upgrade from the four years we just had. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

25 wins a year?

18, 18, 27, 31, and 18...

Talk about dishonest...in his 5 years he's reach 25+ wins twice...bundling it into an average doesn't tell the whole story...

But it was never about if Beard was a better coach than Archie (I gave Beard the edge in the post you quoted) it was about whether he was a sure thing hire. 

He's getting paid more than all but 3 coaches...Coach K, Calipari, and Jay Wright...those are the sure things...does his record stack up to theirs?

The "home run" thing is semantics. In another thread @BGleas says "the Archie hire was widely considered the best hire of the cycle." But he didn't call Archie a " home run" or " sure thing." If  you had used that term upon Archie's hire, you'd be staring at a pop up to short right now.

And I would agree that at this point Chris Beard probably is the best name left in this hiring cycle. Whether he's s "home run" or "can't miss" would remain to be seen...

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He's had two good tournament appearances. Otherwise, very pedestrian record. Fired after four seasons at ILL ST when he was above .500 once. Only 187-140 at LC

Took loyola to a final four, won the mvc the last 3 years, has a bunch of non 4 and 5 stars making illinois look silly. Clearly this team is well coached. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

25 wins a year?

Talk about dishonest...in his 5 years he's reach 25+ wins twice...bundling it into an average doesn't tell the whole story...

But it was never about if Beard was a better coach than Archie (I gave Beard the edge in the post you quoted) it was about whether he was a sure thing hire. 

He's getting paid more than all but 3 coaches...Coach K, Calipari, and Jay Wright...those are the sure things...does his record stack up to theirs?

The "home run" thing is semantics. In another thread @BGleas says "the Archie hire was widely considered the best hire of the cycle." But he didn't call Archie a " home run" or " sure thing." If  you had used that term upon Archie's hire, you'd be staring at a pop up to short right now.

And I would agree that at this point Chris Beard probably is the best name left in this hiring cycle. Whether he's s "home run" or "can't miss" would remain to be seen...

Archie was the best hire of the year, but it was pretty much all mid major hires. He was the most sought after of all of those mid majors, but everyone from that year is below most of the names being discussed for the job this year. 

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

25 wins a year?

He is currently at 94 wins over the last four years, this year he had 3 games (two against TCU) cancelled because of the Texas storm and then last year he had two tournaments cancelled due to Covid. I'm pretty comfortable saying he would average 24-25 wins a year over a 4 year stretch in normal circumstances. 

Yes, mid 20s wins and deep tournament runs nearly every year would be considered about as close to a home run as you can get. I don't get why this is hard for you other than you still can't accept that Archie didn't work out. You like to harp on people for disingenuous arguments yet you've really dug in on one here. JUST STOP! 

Seriously man, Beard and Archie don't have comparable resumes in any way. Even your cherry picked years Beard was significantly better than Archie by every neutral measure (16 vs 34 in KenPom, 6 seed vs 11, etc). 

43 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Minnesota already knows who they’re hiring. That job search is already narrowed down.

If you don't think Dolson knows who he wants I don't know what to tell you. The guessing is for message boards. Dolson knows.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Took loyola to a final four, won the mvc the last 3 years, has a bunch of non 4 and 5 stars making illinois look silly. Clearly this team is well coached. 

Oh no doubt. He can coach. His teams are great to watch. I just don't know that he could get the talent level, and get them to play the same way, to consistently compete in the B1G. I think they are just very difficult to play against in a tournament format, but once they've been scouted repeatedly by the same conference coaches, not so sure.

• Like 2