Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This coaching search is WILD. We went from Hail Mary attempt with Brad Stevens to “we need an IU guy” with Mike Woodson.

Does anyone know if that’s true that they can’t make a deal with a coach currently in the tournament? Cuz it happens in football, just look at our coaching staff before our bowl game...starting to wonder if we put all of our eggs in one basket and now are scrambling.

Mussleman is as old as I would want. I would be ok with him as long Dolson had a talk about wanting to stay somewhere and build something special and get paid handsomely for doing so.

But if there is a sense that he will bolt back to the NBA asap then I'd pass.

Enfield is growing on me as well. 

Beard is my favorite right now.  

Id really like to know Thad Mattas health status. Not claiming he’s my top choice by any stretch of the imagination but his resume speaks for itself and heard he was considering coming back to coaching. 

I know people mentioned he has back and foot issues. Maybe I’m the worlds biggest idiot but what’s preventing him from practicing/coaching in a wheelchair? Heck, Archie practically coached every game on one knee lol. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

He is currently at 94 wins over the last four years, this year he had 3 games (two against TCU) cancelled because of the Texas storm and then last year he had two tournaments cancelled due to Covid. I'm pretty comfortable saying he would average 24-25 wins a year over a 4 year stretch in normal circumstances. 

Yes, mid 20s wins and deep tournament runs nearly every year would be considered about as close to a home run as you can get. I don't get why this is hard for you other than you still can't accept that Archie didn't work out. You like to harp on people for disingenuous arguments yet you've really dug in on one here. JUST STOP! 

Seriously man, Beard and Archie don't have comparable resumes in any way. Even your cherry picked years Beard was significantly better than Archie by every neutral measure (16 vs 34 in KenPom, 6 seed vs 11, etc). 

Again, I never compared the overall resumes of Beard and Miller. I compared 1 season for each saying they were comparable, and no matter how hard you kick and scream, they are...

And, again, since you're not grasping it, that is NOT a comparison to overall records or coaching records.

My OPINION is that Beard is not a "sure thing." That's it...and you want to for some reason say it's a defense of Archie Miller (which it's not) and that I can't "get over" the fact he was fired. I was "over it" 2 minutes after it happened. 

You simply can't accept that someone has an opinion that's different from yours. And that's your cross to bear.

34 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Id really like to know Thad Mattas health status. Not claiming he’s my top choice by any stretch of the imagination but his resume speaks for itself and heard he was considering coming back to coaching. 

I know people mentioned he has back and foot issues. Maybe I’m the worlds biggest idiot but what’s preventing him from practicing/coaching in a wheelchair? Heck, Archie practically coached every game on one knee lol. 

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-shift-in-indiana-coaching-chatter-turns-to-thad-matta/article_9287d1a6-8a73-11eb-ba8c-8befa49543d4.html

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Again, I never compared the overall resumes of Beard and Miller. I compared 1 season for each saying they were comparable, and no matter how hard you kick and scream, they are...

And, again, since you're not grasping it, that is NOT a comparison to overall records or coaching records.

My OPINION is that Beard is not a "sure thing." That's it...and you want to for some reason say it's a defense of Archie Miller (which it's not) and that I can't "get over" the fact he was fired. I was "over it" 2 minutes after it happened. 

You simply can't accept that someone has an opinion that's different from yours. And that's your cross to bear.

My last post with you on this....

It's not an opinion that Beard this season and Archie last season aren't comparable. It's a fact, you just can't grasp it. My issue with you on this is that when other people similarly tried to twist facts with Archie you through a fit, and now you're doing the same. 

Comparing Texas Tech this season and Indiana last season....

BPI: Texas Tech is 8, Indiana is 35.

KenPom: Texas Tech is 16, Indiana is 34.

NCAA Seed: Texas Tech is a 6, Indiana likely an 11.

NET: Texas Tech is 16, Indiana is 56.

What exactly is comparable about those two seasons? 

5 minutes ago, IU247 said:

They going to pay him $3mm to coach and $3mm for a Vicodin addiction?   This seems risky on so many levels.  I feel terrible for him.   But why take a risk here when there are other candidates who are equally as likely to succeed with less risk?  I guess zoom/pandemic can help with recruiting, but still.  

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

My last post with you on this....

It's not an opinion that Beard this season and Archie last season aren't comparable. It's a fact, you just can't grasp it. My issue with you on this is that when other people similarly tried to twist facts with Archie you through a fit, and now you're doing the same. 

Comparing Texas Tech this season and Indiana last season....

BPI: Texas Tech is 8, Indiana is 35.

KenPom: Texas Tech is 16, Indiana is 34.

NCAA Seed: Texas Tech is a 6, Indiana likely an 11.

NET: Texas Tech is 16, Indiana is 56.

What exactly is comparable about those two seasons? 

It’s not worth it. He can’t see it. Trust me. He’s what picking up finger jello with chopsticks looks like.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Does anyone really think Scott Dolson wants to bet his career as an AD on Mike Woodson? You can be wrong about a Beard, Musselman, Drew, etc. and survive. But you can't take that big of a chance and be wrong if you want to keep your job, IMO. 

Another Woodson. I was told yesterday by 4 people don't be shocked if its Woodson. 1 said Dolson wants to make former players happy while getting someone that knows the NBA because thats what kids of today care about.

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Another Woodson. I was told yesterday by 4 people don't be shocked if its Woodson. 1 said Dolson wants to make former players happy while getting someone that knows the NBA because thats what kids of today care about.

I would think that Dolson would strongly consider Musselman if that were the case. I feel like names are getting thrown out all over the place at this point and we won't know until it is official.

Maybe the sequence is just that guys that are free to interview are getting interviewed.  That keeps Beard and Muss on deck because they are still playing.  This may all just be due diligence. Remember Fred, without a basketball background, admitted he honed in on Archie early.  He hardly did a scorched earth search. Dolson is kicking the tires all over the place.  

I assume what’s obvious to us is obvious to him.  Beard and Muss can still have their turn.  

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I would think that Dolson would strongly consider Musselman if that were the case. I feel like names are getting thrown out all over the place at this point and we won't know until it is official.

He interviewed Woodson yesterday. Its not just a name being thrown around.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Maybe the sequence is just that guys that are free to interview are getting interviewed.  That keeps Beard and Muss on deck because they are still playing.  This may all just be due diligence. Remember Fred, without a basketball background, admitted he honed in on Archie early.  He hardly did a scorched earth search. Dolson is kicking the tires all over the place.  

I assume what’s obvious to us is obvious to him.  Beard and Muss can still have their turn.  

If this is true that would be great. Like you mentioned, I don't want to have Dolson fixated on one candidate once Brad turned us down ala Fred and Donovan/Archie.

2 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I wouldn’t have a problem with Drew. Minus the Perea thing, Drew would be a good option, and watching Wisconsin get whooped like they deserve is fun. 

If we hired Drew forget getting any kid from an Indy AAU program, they all hate him. Which might not be a bad thing.

Archived