Potential replacement coaches

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There’s talk that Dolson has his man. There was a guy in the peegs chat last night that said this and that Dolson has don’t it right. Fans need to trust Dolson. He said it was a higher profile coach. So process of elimination is where the Bennett talk came from I would guess.

I sent a message to someone else this weekend or late last week that I heard Bennett was talking to IU.  There was some questions coming to AAU coaches about it.  This is probably what people are hearing l. 

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

totally with you here.  if we believe that a deal is almost done and could have an announcement Weds, then i think we're looking at:

Bennett

Beilien

Beard

Matta

Woodson

All good with me other than Woodson!

I don't throw Woodson, Smart, Fife, etc. into the beggars/choosers category - they fall into the 'Hoosier nepotistic category' because we'd be granting them a position based on alumni status vs. success on the court. 

If I were a betting man, I'm throwing my money on either Beilein or Matta. Not saying they are my first choices, but they seem to be the most realistic based on all the factors. I'd be super happy with either one. 

• Like 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

I don't throw Woodson, Smart, Fife, etc. into the beggars/choosers category - they fall into the 'Hoosier nepotistic category' because we'd be granting them a position based on alumni status vs. success on the court. 

If I were a betting man, I'm throwing my money on either Beilein or Matta. Not saying they are my first choices, but they seem to be the most realistic based on all the factors. I'd be super happy with either one. 

I don't see it.  Dolson just isn't that dumb.   You spend $10M to hire Beilein or Matta.  Matta has major health issues and Beilein is a half step from the home.  Also, the thugs comment won't fly in the woke BLM era.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

I don't think there's any chance Bennett comes but the offense he runs is different than Archie's. They're consistently a top 15 offensive efficiency team. If you watched them this year, they played a lot of 5 out offenses. They're really slow but it's not the crowded mess that Archie runs. They are always very good shooting teams and a high percentage of their shots come from 3. It's not a modern offense in terms of pace but it is in terms of shot selection. 

Agree. I doubt it's him, but people need to separate pace with good/bad offense. 

Pace is an entirely different thing. Bennett's title team was great on offense, they just played at a slow pace. 

You can be fast and put up a lot of points because of that pace but still be a bad offensive team (see Crean, Tom at times), and you can be really slow and low-scoring but be a great, efficient offensive team. 

Is it my favorite style? No. But the guy is a winner. Again though, I'd be shocked if it was Bennett. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

I sent a message to someone else this weekend or late last week that I heard Bennett was talking to IU.  There was some questions coming to AAU coaches about it.  This is probably what people are hearing l. 

That would make sense. It would explain why Kendrick heard.

• Like 1

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

He may know his stuff but he hasn't said anything.  Indiana could literally hire anyone at this point and he could justify it as being a homerun hire even if he has no clue who it is going to be.

We don't always have to assume there's a conspiracy theory lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He may know his stuff but he hasn't said anything.  Indiana could literally hire anyone at this point and he could justify it as being a homerun hire even if he has no clue who it is going to be.

He might not want to burn bridges by saying who it is by name. He runs an AAU program so that would be a bad look to out the new coach before he wants it announced.

Winning cures a lot of things regardless of how an offense is run. I don’t care if the offense is the same style as CAM as long as the team is winning I don’t care. 

Winning gets this team back to consistent NCAA tournament appearances as well as finishing in the top half of the Big Ten. Recruits will take notice and be even more attracted to IU. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We don't always have to assume there's a conspiracy theory lol 

No conspiracy, the guy literally said nothing.  Hey guys, I am hearing a hire that is a complete homerun.  Gonna be awesome if we land this person.

Indiana lands John Beilein.

This man was running the BIG for years.  I told you this was a homerun.  He will have us back competitive and in 5 to 10 years this job is going to he super desirable.

Indiana hires Thad Matta.

This man was running the BIG before the back took him out.  He can recruit the best in this state, has a pedigree for putting players in the league.  This is great.

Indiana hires Beard.

List off his accomplishments and why he is a homerun.

I am just saying that everyone is in a tizzy about a tweet where he did not really say anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't see it.  Dolson just isn't that dumb.   You spend $10M to hire Beilein or Matta.  Matta has major health issues and Beilein is a half step from the home.  Also, the thugs comment won't fly in the woke BLM era.

You may be right. I think it's safe to assume we're all pretty much guessing at this point. These check boxes I speak of:

- on court success: check
- Modern style of play: check
- Recruiting chops: check
- capable leaders of big time programs: check
- familiarity with the conference and region: check
- no buyouts: check
- won't demand top dollar: check
- Availability: double check

Prying current coaches away from their current schools has to be the biggest obstacle he's facing and he won't face it with Matta and Beilein. 

Again, other than age (Beilein) and health (Matta - which will be vetted) what other candidates can check all these boxes? not many. I don't agree that Dolson would be 'dumb' to make this decision.

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He might not want to burn bridges by saying who it is by name. He runs an AAU program so that would be a bad look to out the new coach before he wants it announced.

Then actually say nothing as opposed to going for social media cred by...saying nothing other than "I got info you don't."

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No conspiracy, the guy literally said nothing.  Hey guys, I am hearing a hire that is a complete homerun.  Gonna be awesome if we land this person.

Indiana lands John Beilein.

This man was running the BIG for years.  I told you this was a homerun.  He will have us back competitive and in 5 to 10 years this job is going to he super desirable.

Indiana hires Thad Matta.

This man was running the BIG before the back took him out.  He can recruit the best in this state, has a pedigree for putting players in the league.  This is great.

Indiana hires Beard.

List off his accomplishments and why he is a homerun.

I am just saying that everyone is in a tizzy about a tweet where he did not really say anything.

Sure. But this guy does not care about the "fame". 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I probably sound like a broken record, and my last post saying this - I really want Mike Woodson.  My reasons, stated before.  I hope that ship hasn't sailed.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1