Potential replacement coaches

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

You don't think they're capable of a screw up like that?  You've obviously been asleep for 21 years.  They've done far worse.

I don't view that as a screw up in the first place.  I view it as the athletic department doing their due diligence before actually hiring someone.  I'm saying I would like to confirm something to be accurate before I trash someone.  Obviously, you don't care about that.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How is it even a screw up.  We say Thad, we're interested in you as a coach, but we need you to pass a physical to be certain before we sign a contract.  It's like a baseball team conditionally trading for a pitcher who has a high ceiling but is coming off an arm issue.  If healthy, worth the risk.  If not, trade never happens.  

Because you don't do a 10 million dollar buyout to hire a coach who hasn't coached in 5 years and has severe health issues.

Just now, Sea Turtle said:

Because you don't do a 10 million dollar buyout to hire a coach who hasn't coached in 5 years and has severe health issues.

It's not your ,money.  You're reacting like somehow how the $10 million dollars was used is an affront to you.  It's not.  It's the right of the guy smart enough to make that much money to use it however he sees fit.  Why do you even care?  

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Jim Coyle is a well respected radio journalist here in Indiana.  If that's his real account, then who knows.  What makes me suspicious is Jeff Goodman's photo with Matta being posted on Social Media literally minutes before then.  Is Goodman trolling?

That is coyle’s real account. 

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m ready to roll with Fife and Lewis tandem.  Big names aren’t coming here, that seems pretty obvious now.  

It just depends on if you believe all these different reports for the last week, which I don't. From the looks of it nobody knows what Dolson is doing and who he is going after since there has been no word from him.

Jeff Goodman, Purdue Fans, UK fans, 35 year old social rejects still living in mom's basement, etc.  There are people out there trolling IU.  Let's step up as a fan base and not fall for it.  Wait until Dolson speaks again.  We look ridiculous.  smh.

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m ready to roll with Fife and Lewis tandem.  Big names aren’t coming here, that seems pretty obvious now.  

Beilein would need to be the HC and either of them as assistants for a few years. Neither are ready to just jump in. 

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Beilein would need to be the HC and either of them as assistants for a few years. Neither are ready to just jump in. 

Fife was a head coach already and been at MSU several years.  Lewis been all around the country coaching college.  They are as ready as anyone.  

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If I’m Matta, I’m royally ticked off at Coyle.  His allegedly failing a physical—even if it were true, which it apparently is not— is probably a medical issue covered by confidentiality.  And for good reasons. This could make Matta toxic to future employers.  Don’t be surprised if his attorney writes a letter to Coyle demanding a public retraction.  Coyle looks like a total clown. 

Something's screwy. This is Coyle's tweet:

**I have spoken with multiple sources today who told me Thad Matta had reached an agreement to become Indiana's basketball coach but failed his physical exam.. #iubb

He cites multiple sources. So how close were those sources to the IU athletic department? Sometimes multiple sources means one person told another person who told another person and they are all reporting the same info, so that's possible, but still.  Either there was something to this story and IU is doing damage control or Coyle is incompetent.

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The 10 million dollar buyout was because we got duped, by Brad Stevens.  If not for that we’d still have Archie 

Did your source think we were hiring Matta ? Curious to which part you think is true. Matta said yes but bad physical or no deal was ever made? Maybe just some feelers? 
Goodman maybe trolling us?

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly why does a coach require a physical exam?  If so, how did someone like Rick Majerus ever get hired?  

Dolson said the next time we see him would be when he's introducing our new coach...

He should have said "see OR hear from me."

And I don't see the Tony Bennett talk at all. He didn't come here the first time because he didn't want to live in the fishbowl a big time program creates...and there was also the issues with his sister allegedly being treated poorly... 

No reason for him to leave UVA...

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

Did your source think we were hiring Matta ? Curious to which part you think is true. Matta said yes but bad physical or no deal was ever made? Maybe just some feelers? 
Goodman maybe trolling us?

That’s a lie.  They have talked to a ton of coaches and IU isn’t the brand it use to be.  Had all their eggs in one basket and that usually doesn’t work well, and it didnt

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The 10 million dollar buyout was because we got duped, by Brad Stevens.  If not for that we’d still have Archie 

You really think we got duped?  The program seemed in neutral.  The lack of an offensive product was not attractive to national recruits.   Given the free agency year, former player disappointment/frustration, etc - I think Dolson realized a change needed to be made.  

Now I’m sure Stevens may have said he’d listen ... but do you really think a hand shake deal was in place and fell apart at the 11th hour?

Archived