Potential replacement coaches

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If I’m Matta, I’m royally ticked off at Coyle.  His allegedly failing a physical—even if it were true, which it apparently is not— is probably a medical issue covered by confidentiality.  And for good reasons. This could make Matta toxic to future employers.  Don’t be surprised if his attorney writes a letter to Coyle demanding a public retraction.  Coyle looks like a total clown. 

Yeah, if this is true, people would most likely lose their job for leaking this information. But last night some one posted “home run hire” and Lander made a mysterious happy post. But again if this was leaked, we’re not going to hear much more about any other deals. That would be two pretty bad leaks. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

Did anyone watch the last game tonight? USC is legit. I think Andy Enfield should seriously be considered if we miss on our top targets. They said he used to be a shooting coach for a couple NBA teams early on in his career and let's be honest, we could use someone that can help us SHOOT! 

• Like 5

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t know anything about Altman’s issues. But if it’s true, I agree with you.  We don’t need that BS.  

I know there were 2 separate incidents. First involved one layer and the second incident involved 3 players. I don't remember the details but I recall he lied during the investigation about what he knew and when he knew it. That way the players could play in tourney games so the team wouldn't be shorthanded. A little moral ambiguity when it comes to sexual assault versus winning from what I recall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Not necessarily a suggestion for our next head coach, but let's not leave any stone unturned. Has anyone mentioned Greg McDermott from Creighton on here?

He's only in his 50's I believe, seems to always have good teams in the Big East. Last year's team was ranked 7th and this year's team is Top 20. I'm no expert so I'm more just curious what everyone thinks.

This would have been an intriguing suggestion one month ago. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

There are different types of leaders but its usually the hard charges that get things done. Think George Washington, Old Hickory Andrew Jackson, US Grant, Sherman, Patton. 

Its uncomfortable but it takes aholes to get things done. Not always but probably 85% of the time. 

I am confident Knight studied all those guys in great detail. Plus was greatly impacted by hobnobbing with the brass at West Point.  He was also the first coach I ever heard mention the old Chinese book the Art of War.  Now you hear that cited all the time.  It’s interesting when you hear the interviews with ex players like Hillman, they now see what he was doing in terms of tactics.  Like he kicked them all out of practice a few days before a big game.  But Hillman now realizes he wanted to put them under pressure but be rested.  The days before the game they got super focused.  I think this was the 1987 final four before Vegas. 

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am confident Knight studied all those guys in great detail. Plus was greatly impacted by hobnobbing with the brass at West Point.  He was also the first coach I ever heard mention the old Chinese book the Art of War.  Now you hear that cited all the time.  It’s interesting when you hear the interviews with ex players like Hillman, they now see what he was doing in terms of tactics.  Like he kicked them all out of practice a few days before a big game.  But Hillman now realizes he wanted to put them under pressure but be rested.  The days before the game they got super focused.  I think this was the 1987 final four before Vegas. 

I come from a family of veterans.  I started reading history from a very early age. I really like it but knew it wouldn't make me $$$.

Very familiar with Sun Zus Art of War. 

RMK wasn't only a coach, he taught history too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DunkinDipo said:

Did anyone watch the last game tonight? USC is legit. I think Andy Enfield should seriously be considered if we miss on our top targets. They said he used to be a shooting coach for a couple NBA teams early on in his career and let's be honest, we could use someone that can help us SHOOT! 

He should have taught them to shoot free throws.

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I heard you failed a physical, liked being a Masshole, and did not have any previous head-coaching experience outside of Biddy Ball at the YMCA.

Hey now!  Thats all the experience ive got and ive not been turned down yet. 

And btw, coaching biddy ball isnt easy. Its like hearding a bunch of methed out cats durring a laser light show.  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, BenZIU said:

Back to the original post, watching all these games these past 4 days has convinced me more than even last week that firing Archie had to be done regardless of who is hired for the next coach.  Our offensive execution has been embarrassing for the past four years.  Some of these teams make it look like we are playing a different sport.  

I'll say one other thing. These games have made very clear to me that the Big 10 needs to only hire referees who work in the PAC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

When Howard was hired Michigan faithful were less than excited, go look at their boards from back then.  It was UGLY. I do think Fife could, I also think Fife could fall flat on his face.  I mean yeah if they are ok working under Beilien then that’s a great idea.  Just not sure how you present that without it coming across as a slap in the face.  Especially to Fife who’s been a HC and has worked for someone probably better than Belien for several years.

mainly agree with you on the maybe or maybe not thing, but again don't like the risk and i still say Howard is much different.  part of a complete culture of bball back in his day.  way more famous and still have to think Martelli and the program he inherited has more to do with it.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IUfan93 said:

Couldnt have said it any better. I get the feeling we are going to be really disappointed with the new hire. I do believe it’s a sleeping giant but unfortunately I don’t think coaches view it as this. I think putting all of the eggs in the BS basket likely hurt us. And if we are getting turned down by Thad Matta...😳🤔

Thank you for all the info you do bring to the board. 

Where in this thread does it say Thad Matta turned us down.  The rumor says he failed a physical.  That is a long way from turning down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Hey guys, I honestly think that this hire is going to be fantastic for the program. I do believe it will be an Indiana guy. 

Personally, I like the idea of bringing in Woodson and Cheaney; not because it worked for Michigan, but it could most definitely heal the disconnect between former players and the program, while reestablishing the Indiana brand. Not to mention the NBA  pedigree and appeal to young recruits. 

Although some may not like the hire, I think that I’m buying into the idea. It may not be the splash that several want, but winning at this level is more often than not, about having the right fit. 

No.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

My apologies to everyone last night, I may not want to drink 3 days in a row again.  I didn’t mean to derail this thread. Wowsers!!!😳🤦‍♂️

It's all good.  Now just tell us this has been Dolson's plan all along and he's got a home run hire in the bag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

So I put the iPad down last night with the knowledge that the Matta report was wrong. I wake this morning and look to see if I missed anything and apparently I missed the Battle of Gettysburg part II, the vetting of Dana Altman, and another revisiting of RMK.  I am going to have to quit sleeping. 

Demographics getting the least amount of sleep right now: Accountants and IU fans on message boards.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Fans of Ohio State were wishing death on players last week.  This "OMG the IU fans are the mostest terrible and no one would want to play for that" nonsense is just that, nonsense.

20 years of this and people are shocked that the fanbase is pissed.  Let Duke go through 20 years like this after Kryzewski gets fired and we can interview Bilas about how patient they should be.

Duke fans have actually wanted K gone off and on the last few years.  I hear it in NC frequently.  

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Since others seem to have had their last word, and now new folks have come on here to criticize, I am gonna say my last piece and then I am going to bed.

When someone on here posts information and positions themselves to be an “insider “ their posts tend to hold a lot of weight. When they make a statement without using a qualifier like “in my opinion “, based on previous posts, that doesn’t come across as an opinion. Because a poster has positioned themselves to be considered an insider, posts are considered to be “in the know.”

When a post is made that multiple coaches have said IU isn’t the job it used to be, that’s a pretty significant comment. 

In my opinion would clear up a lot, in my opinion 

i get what you're saying, but if you have any inside sources, you probably can't come out and say, "Well, my source is ........ and he says...."  that person wouldn't be your source for long!