Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’d be happy with Beard, Muss, or Matta.  I’d be happy with JB if the correct assistant coaches and coach in waiting were hired.  I’d also be ok with Fife with a good staff that included Michael Lewis behind him.  That’s just me though.  

I would also be happy with Bennett although not excited about his offensive scheme but he wins a ton of games.

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Just a personal opinion, but I'm hoping the coach is not announced to after the tournament. 

I've seen multiple posts saying they hope it's this Wednesday. I just have to ask: why? Many of the candidates we want still have teams they are coaching in the tournament. Even if it's not one of them, I'd still prefer Dolson to do his homework and interview multiple candidates. Being patient sucks but being thorough is better in the long run. 

That said, I will ignore rumors until April 6th. 

pretty much what i was trying to say in what i just posted in the Beard thread.  if Beard or Bennett is his #1 target right now and they agree, then fine.  pull the trigger.  if he wants to talk with Muss or Altman or whoever before making his decision, that's great too.    

• Like 2

This is Dolson's signature hire. He knows the importance of it and I don't care if he takes weeks to find the right person.

With zero on campus recruiting allowed....time is on his side for at least another month for a coach to hit transfer market. 

I'll also add this. I was dead wrong on Dolson. Thought he was a company guy type....but everything he's done so far has my confidence in him growing. Headed off to chase a little white ball before rain comes. I know you guys can get this up to 163 pages when I check back in tonight!

• Like 1

This may be my fault, guys. I've always been a football-first fan. Over the years, I've said that if I had to choose, I would rather have a good football team than a good basketball team. It seems someone in power was listening.

My bad. (I still love Tom Allen and the football team.)

Edited by Kodos
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Im to the point that I'd be happy with Belien and Fife as Associate Head coach with the agreement he takes over in 5 years or less

i would definitely be okay with this.  it just seems unlikely.  i keep asking because i don't know - is there any relationship between the two?  if not, i just can't see the conversation selling to either guy.  telling a guy we want you, but not for long (even if it seems obvious) seems weird.  telling a guy to leave MSU to come to IU with the "promise" of taking over in like 5 years seems weird too.  telling them to work together under this plan if they don't know each other seems really weird.  i'd be all for it if they are though!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i would definitely be okay with this.  it just seems unlikely.  i keep asking because i don't know - is there any relationship between the two?  if not, i just can't see the conversation selling to either guy.  telling a guy we want you, but not for long (even if it seems obvious) seems weird.  telling a guy to leave MSU to come to IU with the "promise" of taking over in like 5 years seems weird too.  telling them to work together under this plan if they don't know each other seems really weird.  i'd be all for it if they are though!

That I’m not sure about.  Someone mentioned that JB’s health isn’t all that great in this thread I thought.  Hope it isn’t true.

8 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Im to the point that I'd be happy with Belien and Fife as Associate Head coach with the agreement he takes over in 5 years or less

I think fife has spent enough time under a quality coach if hes the guy for the future I say give it to him now

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

That I’m not sure about.  Someone mentioned that JB’s health isn’t all that great in this thread I thought.  Hope it isn’t true.

i think it's pretty much common sense that he wouldn't be up to coaching more than about 5 years, so i get the wanting Fife to be attached to the deal.  i just think it's a strange conversation with both guys if you think about it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharp75 said:

I think fife has spent enough time under a quality coach if hes the guy for the future I say give it to him now

too big of a risk.  could be great!  could be the next Archie Miller.  we can't afford the odds of it working out.  another 4-5 years of crap would be devastating.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

too big of a risk.  could be great!  could be the next Archie Miller.  we can't afford the odds of it working out.  another 4-5 years of crap would be devastating.  

Yeah I totally get that and agree that's why beard would be my first choice but I suspect Dane is going to be a really good coach some day and I think he would be passionate about the IU job

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Probably very unlikely...but i wouldnt want Belien, then be doing a coaching search 4 years later with out some type of plan...Fife may not even be interested at all  for all i know.

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Rabby said yesterday there’s been some weird conversations about Beilein the last couple days that have clouded how much interest IU really has had in him. Could be health related.

Been trying to be nice about it, but after Stevens turned us down, any fan that has expected an announcement before now or is unhappy because there has not been one is being stupid.  You want a coach who's good enough to still have a team playing.  Now, Beard has lost, but it's not like that would be announced 5 minutes after the game.

My money is that we wont hear anything until a couple of days after Arkansas loses.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Been trying to be nice about it, but after Stevens turned us down, any fan that has expected an announcement before now or is unhappy because there has not been one is being stupid.  You want a coach who's good enough to still have a team playing.  Now, Beard has lost, but it's not like that would be announced 5 minutes after the game.

My money is that we wont hear anything until a couple of days after Arkansas loses.

agreed.  makes a ton of sense.  

42 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Just a personal opinion, but I'm hoping the coach is not announced to after the tournament. 

I've seen multiple posts saying they hope it's this Wednesday. I just have to ask: why? Many of the candidates we want still have teams they are coaching in the tournament. Even if it's not one of them, I'd still prefer Dolson to do his homework and interview multiple candidates. Being patient sucks but being thorough is better in the long run. 

That said, I will ignore rumors until April 6th. 

Totally.  I am in no hurry.  A guy like Muss is still coaching.  I’d let it play out and maybe we get to the point that we are picking one of 2-3 really good candidates.  I sense the people that are in a hurry are in full blown panic mode.  That’s no way to handle business of any kind.  Maybe Dolson will flop but I’m giving him a chance.  I was very impressed with his press conference.  He seemed like a guy aligned with our thinking.  Let’s see what he comes up with.  We know less than 10% of what’s happening.   

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sharp75 said:

I think it also matters when Izzo is planning on retiring... let’s say JB is hired and they call fife and say hey the IU job is yours in 4 years come be an assistant. He technically already has that in Michigan Stare but we don’t know the timeline. The issue is the Jim Boeheim example. They had a coach in waiting who was promised the job and Boeheim gave a timeline of retiring them Boeheim changed his mind and the coach left. What if JB does the same thing when getting here I’d hate to burn bridges with Fife. So in a coach in waiting scenario like JB/Fife it has to be executed to a T

I'm just think we are all looking in the wrong direction. I think Dolson wants an NBA  guy not a college coach. He said in his presser thats what kids these days focus on and he wants someone to draw kids to IU. Its going to be an NBA Head coach. Who ever that is. My gut feeling.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Well they did, I was told Brad was done deal.  I can’t see that one in particular being done on purpose or any for that matter.  If they don’t won’t stuff to leak out, it’s pretty simple to zip the lip.  

Makes sense because if that was a “smoke screen” it makes the whole thing worse. You don’t walk in a super model on a possible blind date to have her walk past and follow up with an “8” that would’ve made your jaw drop and now you’re like “oh hi you’re pretty.”

Just now, Indykev said:

I'm just think we are all looking in the wrong direction. I think Dolson wants an NBA  guy not a college coach. He said in his presser thats what kids these days focus on and he wants someone to draw kids to IU. Its going to be an NBA Head coach. Who ever that is. My gut feeling.

Any guesses? I would say it wouldn't shock me if it’s totally out of left field.

46 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

pretty much what i was trying to say in what i just posted in the Beard thread.  if Beard or Bennett is his #1 target right now and they agree, then fine.  pull the trigger.  if he wants to talk with Muss or Altman or whoever before making his decision, that's great too.    

Exactly, we don't have to rush this. We zeroed in on our guy four years ago apparently and that did not work out well. 

• Like 1