Potential replacement coaches

44 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Curious, while everyone wants the Stevens and Kerrs of the world, is more realistic to look at a former Head Coach or an up can coming NBA assistant.  Maybe similar to what Michigan did with Howard, though we may not necessarily look for an IU guy but someone on an up and coming NBA head coach list?

What about this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Gates

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU247 said:

I also heard that Obama is the Next coach for IU. 

that’s just as likely as the above. 

his name has already been shot down multiple times. 

He won’t get the job and hasn’t been connected. That said Dolson could contact him and it would stay quiet easier than others. 

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm terrified at the idea of Woodson, but would also support him.

Would one of y'all like to talk me into not liking Woodson without using his losing record at the Hawks or whatever trash nba team he took over?  

I'm so far from it has to be an Indiana guy but for some reason I like the idea of Mike Lewis being here and getting it in the next 5 years or so.  He just has that tenacity.  So start me a staff with Woodson and Lewis and whoever else Woodson has up his sleeve with 30 years of nba connections and let's roll.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Would one of y'all like to talk me into not liking Woodson without using his losing record at the Hawks or whatever trash nba team he took over?  

I'm so far from it has to be an Indiana guy but for some reason I like the idea of Mike Lewis being here and getting it in the next 5 years or so.  He just has that tenacity.  So start me a staff with Woodson and Lewis and whoever else Woodson has up his sleeve with 30 years of nba connections and let's roll.  

To me I don’t care about the losing record... my problem is his no nonsense attitude... that’s the exact same thing that hurt Archie. Yes winning cures everything but Archie didn’t win with the same personality and his track record in college was more successful. Indiana needs passion, fire, high energy, great recruit, and knows how to win. Woodson doesn’t check those boxes to me.

• Like 3

I get that Oats has a huge buyout and has said he isn't interested (as if a coach saying that really matters), but he's definitely moved to the top of the "realistic" candidates for me.  I think a guy like Lander would absolutely dominate in his offense.  Get out and run, guys ready to shoot all over the court, more open space for him to create.

There was also a quote from Oats during their game last night that he barely has to recruit.  With the system he runs, he has a ton of recruits who want to play in it.  I think he'd be able to recruit incredibly well here.

I get that the odds of getting him are really low, I just want to have a few days of make believe to feel good haha.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Has anybody talked to Lewis and Fife and asked them if they are all on board while we are making these plans?  Asking for a friend.

I think Lewis would be good to have on staff but someone posted on one of the other forums that his brother Brian said he was not interested in coming back to be an assistant at IU....

His current team is in the Sweet 16 and he is already an assistant there.  It is also another "old money" type of team.  I just don't think there is this guarantee that Woodson is going to pull a Lewis with him.

25 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m starting to worry it’s Woodson, nothing more than a gut feeling.  I’ll support him but his leash is likely, from a fans aspect, going to be shorter than Archies if he’s hired.

Well that would be the disappointment of disappointments.  You think you're having surf n turf but at the last minute are handed a can of Spam instead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

it's not just the not winning in the NBA.  he has mainly been a career NBA assistant and is 63.  i've never heard people get all excited about him outside this one scenario.  i just don't see why today's kids are going to get all excited about IU or "get the old IU culture" because a guy like this comes in to coach.  i also find it hard to believe he is just going to bring all of these former IU players in as assistants.  he'd need a relationship with them and they'd have to be willing to leave their current situation.  again, if he's the hire, i will NOT be excited, but i will watch every game and support him and hope i am wrong about him!  gonna be tough with what he has to work with next year and no stud recruits on the horizon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

To me I don’t care about the losing record... my problem is his no nonsense attitude... that’s the exact same thing that hurt Archie. Yes winning cures everything but Archie didn’t win with the same personality and his track record in college was more successful. Indiana needs passion, fire, high energy, great recruit, and knows how to win. Woodson doesn’t check those boxes to me.

I mean does Izzo or Underwood have a no nonsense attitude?  I really don't know this guy from any of you standing on the street without googling him.  

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Has anybody talked to Lewis and Fife and asked them if they are all on board while we are making these plans?  Asking for a friend.

I think Lewis would be good to have on staff but someone posted on one of the other forums that his brother Brian said he was not interested in coming back to be an assistant at IU....

His current team is in the Sweet 16 and he is already an assistant there.  It is also another "old money" type of team.  I just don't think there is this guarantee that Woodson is going to pull a Lewis with him.

And I've heard people say lewis would crawl on his elbow throw glass across the entire country to coach at indiana but maybe that was for the head coaching position.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And I've heard people say lewis would crawl on his elbow throw glass across the entire country to coach at indiana but maybe that was for the head coaching position.  

He might be more interested if the hire is an older coach that might give him a good shot in a few years.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That would be a hire that would require a lot of explanation and when you’re explaining you’re losing the case

In Dolsons defense, hiring Brad Stevens is legit the only candidate I’ve seen our fan base collectively rally around. Anyone else is going to give us mixed feedback.

• Like 7