Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My god guys why do you flip out with every little tidbiton a message board.  Also nobody on here or any fan out there has no clue how a coach will do in any situation.  Most people said Archie was a home run and couldn't see a way he would failed.  We have no idea if Beard, Musselman or Oats would do any better here than anyone else.

I wish people would stop saying every name thrown out there would be a disaster.  It would be nice seeing people go in with an open mind instead of going into with a negative outlook.  Could this be some of the reason we might not get certain coaches.

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good heavens, that’s a hard pass.  I can’t imagine Dolson would do that.  I really don’t think he would.  

Cheaney is my favorite player all time.  I would not want that hire.  I am surprised he even came up because all I have ever heard about him is that A)his wife does not want to live in Bloomington and B)he did not want the hassle involved with that kind of a job.

If we are going the IU guy route there are 4 names in my mind that make sense:  Woodson, Alford, Fife, and Lewis...maybe honorable mention to Keith Smart.  I could at least make some case for one of the above but we just do not have a deep bench when it comes to former players coaching.

That being said, I think we are in the "throw anything against the wall for clicks" portion of the hiring process.  I talk to a few people who have some contacts at IU and they are all saying they don't know anything.  

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Cheaney is my favorite player all time.  I would not want that hire.  I am surprised he even came up because all I have ever heard about him is that A)his wife does not want to live in Bloomington and B)he did not want the hassle involved with that kind of a job.

If we are going the IU guy route there are 4 names in my mind that make sense:  Woodson, Alford, Fife, and Lewis...maybe honorable mention to Keith Smart.  I could at least make some case for one of the above but we just do not have a deep bench when it comes to former players coaching.

My list from the IU player fraternity is much smaller than yours.  I wouldn’t prefer it but I wouldn’t even get past Woodson on that list.  I wouldn’t agree with any of the others. Not at this time. 

Any chance the subterfuge leads to an amazing hire?  So much noise, but nothing confirmed.  Props to S Dolson for keeping this maddeningly quite.  

I am going to hope for the very best and adjust if necessary.  Have developed several new, twitchy habits the last week.  Know patience is the best route, and yet use every digital resource available to find out the latest wild goose chase.  Argh!

1 minute ago, Fundamentals said:

Any chance the subterfuge leads to an amazing hire?  So much noise, but nothing confirmed.  Props to S Dolson for keeping this maddeningly quite.  

I am going to hope for the very best and adjust if necessary.  Have developed several new, twitchy habits the last week.  Know patience is the best route, and yet use every digital resource available to find out the latest wild goose chase.  Argh!

I hope so.  I keep saying it but I don’t think anyone knows anything.  Dolson is on lockdown and I agree with that.   Some of the rumors defy common sense.  

I’m convinced that it will not matter who we hire, people will complain and ridicule the new coach. The only way that the majority of the fanbase would be happy is if it were Brad Stevens. 

The names that are being mentioned are solid. 

Even the Indiana guys, which is what much of our program has wanted for nearly two decades, are intriguing. A lot of former players think it’s going to be an Indiana guy/former player. 

Regardless of how we feel about whoever gets the job, every single one of us had better back them... because the rest of the world will be watching our reaction. 

2 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I’m convinced that it will not matter who we hire, people will complain and ridicule the new coach. The only way that the majority of the fanbase would be happy is if it were Brad Stevens. 

The names that are being mentioned are solid. 

Even the Indiana guys, which is what much of our program has wanted for nearly two decades, are intriguing. A lot of former players think it’s going to be an Indiana guy/former player. 

Regardless of how we feel about whoever gets the job, every single one of us had better back them... because the rest of the world will be watching our reaction. 

Just listened to the last part of JMV interview with Rabby.  First he said Matta and IU talked but nothing beyond that and there were no offer or physical and he said he heard that from a lot of people..  Also he said just because you hear names doesn't mean it is more than just a call to check on things.

13 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I really don’t think anyone knows anything. 

Correct. We’re at the point where every coach is being linked to the job. Everyone is speculating because Dolson isn’t saying ANYTHING.  Read: Dolson is doing his job. 

And the fans are mad.  But, if he hired someone tonight that we didn’t all love, we’d all complain he didn’t wait long enough.   

We are literally creating our own narratives and sabotaging ourselves and fighting amongst ourselves while Dolson is doing his job.  

The guy raised $10 milli for a buyout.  He knows how important this hire is.  Let’s let the process play out. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just listened to the last part of JMV interview with Rabby.  First he said Matta and IU talked but nothing beyond that and there were no offer or physical and he said he heard that from a lot of people..  Also he said just because you hear names doesn't mean it is more than just a call to check on things.

I think Dolson is actually doing what he's supposed to do, listening to candidates and their "pitches" etc. I would have to think he has a list and he wants to talk with everyone. Part of this is how well they are going to get along as well. As the flagship program, Dolson and whomever he hires will need to be in lockstep. So even if he has favorites, they have to mesh. 

6 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Whoever the next coach is, I hope they build a team and system that will compete for National championships. That means go away from the big ten style!  We have to be able to stretch the floor at every position

The Big Ten should look at two things.
1.  Upgrade the officiating.  Just as a simple example, the rough housing that a guy like Garza (or everyone on Wisconsin) got away with conditions the league away from the degree of movement you see with good teams around the country.  
2.  Stop playing a 20 game schedule. Need more exposure to teams from other leagues.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The Big Ten should look at two things.
1.  Upgrade the officiating.  Just as a simple example, the rough housing that a guy like Garza (or everyone on Wisconsin) got away with conditions the league away from the degree of movement you see with good teams around the country.  
2.  Stop playing a 20 game schedule. Need more exposure to other leagues. 

Yeah I'm almost positive Painter builds his teams to succeed in the crappy big ten officiating.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

These guys are friends. I’m sure matta has no problem sharing ideas with Dolson and saying things like “here’s where offenses are going, here’s what nba teams look for, etc”. Almost like a consultant.  

Thinking further on the 20 game schedule, historically we played a round Robin 18 game schedule.  It was fair.  Then the league expanded to 11 and so on.  A conference tournament was added.  When the tourney was added we went to a 16 game schedule plus tourney.  The problem now is that if you instituted fewer games you would have a woefully imbalanced schedule.  

I would argue they should settle on another solution than the crazy 20 games plus a tourney.  With how physical it is, that’s a pounding and these are college kids not 28 year old men, except for obviously the Davison kid from Wisconsin.  It’s suicidal to beat up on each other that often.  

I say you start the conference after January 1 as God intended it to be and fit as many games as makes sense. I believe that number is 16.   Then it’s the tourney.  That leaves some open games in December. That way you can get exposure to some other teams.  

As for the imbalanced schedule, that’s a necessary evil once you expanded so much. Think of it like the AFC in the NFL. Figure out a way to schedule it fairly.  Use divisions, whatever. 

I just think the intense pounding for 20 games PLUS the tourney is over the top. 

Archived