Potential replacement coaches

14 minutes ago, Bustout said:

These guys are friends. I’m sure matta has no problem sharing ideas with Dolson and saying things like “here’s where offenses are going, here’s what nba teams look for, etc”. Almost like a consultant.  

I didn't know these guys were friends. That's interesting. So he knew ahead of time that he would or wouldn't be interested when he canned Archie.

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I didn't know these guys were friends. That's interesting. So he knew ahead of time that he would or wouldn't be interested when he canned Archie.

Perhaps not best buddies, but these small tight-knit sports/fraternity type groups.  Their paths have definitely crossed before and especially if Matta is done coaching (which I’m not positive) then he’d definitely have nothing to lose.  But either way, he’d be open to a general conversation with Dolson about a lot of topics. 

I saw and article headlined all the next coach at Indiana needs to do is make  the fans happy. That's the most stupid statement I have ever heard. Know way you make all the fans happy. I the next coach needs to do is WIN baby. Everything else takes care of it's self. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Calbert?  Saying on BB he might be the guy.  Would be a disaster imo.

Can I ask an honest question - how can you say that?  Calbert might be the perfect hire.  He is beloved by players, is known as a great mentor, coached with Jim Crews, been in the NBA, in the NBA now, loves IU, everyone knows who he is - but he wouldn't work?  I think he would be great and I would purchase tickets right away and drive 6 hours on gameday to support him.

2021 is for creativity and high ceiling.  Get it to market fast.  Calbert, Mike would be awesome and I hope they go after one of these great human beings and basketball minds.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

My god guys why do you flip out with every little tidbiton a message board.  Also nobody on here or any fan out there has no clue how a coach will do in any situation.  Most people said Archie was a home run and couldn't see a way he would failed.  We have no idea if Beard, Musselman or Oats would do any better here than anyone else.

I wish people would stop saying every name thrown out there would be a disaster.  It would be nice seeing people go in with an open mind instead of going into with a negative outlook.  Could this be some of the reason we might not get certain coaches.

Ok then....

Sampson

Will Wade

Drew

Self

Pitino

How about those?

I am sure you would be very open minded about each and would have no problem with any of them.

Edited by JugRox

My least favorite word going is source.  Unless I see a report from guys like Woj, Scheftner or those kind of insiders I will take it as a grain of salt.  If it is from some blogger or podcaster I will not believe it.  I will have an opening mind until we hear from Dolson who the hire is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

They are also successful and proven college guys... Woodson is strictly an NBA guy with zero college experience. Yes I understand Juwan Howard is having success but Juwan Howard also offers a name, respect, and likeability due to him being younger that Woodson doesn’t have. Juwan Howard, Izzo, and Underwood are all guys you would know if you’re standing next to them. Woodson you would have no idea as you said above.

I'd think leading college age kids would be nirvana compared to the NBA divas, and according to the video @addictedtoIU provided, there seemed to be a healthy respect from the players toward Woody. Treat them like men but hold them accountable...that's leadership today in a nutshell...

And to be honest, although I think Beard is a good coach, the spittle flinging tirade he went into during a timeout versus Arkansas (and I've seen him do that more than once this year... Maybe why he has his share of transfers) I don't think fits in with Dolson's vision of leadership in the 21st century. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I saw and article headlined all the next coach at Indiana needs to do is make  the fans happy. That's the most stupid statement I have ever heard. Know way you make all the fans happy. I the next coach needs to do is WIN baby. Everything else takes care of it's self. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

No one knows a thing.

Nope, props to Dolson. 

And I'll give whoever Dolson picks the benefit of the doubt, for two reasons:

-He quickly and wisely canned Archie, despite being his predecessor's proud pick

-He didn't hire a search committee. That tells me has confidence in making the hire and knows what he's looking for.

Dolson knows basketball. This isn't an AD with a baseball background making an IU basketball hire. Hiring a search committee allows an AD to escape blame for a bad hire and take credit for a good one. Give me an AD with the stones to take responsibility and do it himself

• Like 7

Some of us are acting as though because it’s possible a coach with inexperience or a bad résumé could pan out and become great that all candidates are equal. That’s like saying hiring some Val Victorian high school kid to be the CEO of Disney could still pan out! Correct. But it’s not likely. that’s why our athletic director is in the position that he is in and that’s why his neck is on the line in this hire.

it is correct that whoever is hired we need to support. But if Dawson rolls out some coach who has a bad résumé and does not inspire a reasonable person to believe that the person has a chance to be successful… Then we should all expect that a large percentage of the base will be very pessimistic. That’s just common sense.

so yes I will back whoever he hires but that’s not going to change an initial perception on my part as to whether or not he did a good job or not based on the persons résumé.

if you pay $10 million for a buyout and roll out a former player with squat for head-coaching experience and pay them $2 million a year because he “knows what Indiana basketball is“ you get an F for your hiring job as an athletic director and you darn well better hope he pans out in a big way! because you just hired a kid fresh out of college to lead a major corporation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Some of us are acting as though because it’s possible a coach with inexperience or a bad résumé could pan out and become great that all candidates are equal. That’s like saying hiring some Val Victorian high school kid to be the CEO of Disney could still pan out! Correct. But it’s not likely. that’s why our athletic director is in the position that he is in and that’s why his neck is on the line in this hire.

it is correct that whoever is hired we need to support. But if Dawson rolls out some coach who has a bad résumé and does not inspire a reasonable person to believe that the person has a chance to be successful… Then we should all expect that a large percentage of the base will be very pessimistic. That’s just common sense.

so yes I will back whoever he hires but that’s not going to change an initial perception on my part as to whether or not he did a good job or not based on the persons résumé.

if you pay $10 million for a buyout and roll out a former player with squat for head-coaching experience and pay them $2 million a year because he “knows what Indiana basketball is“ you get an F for your hiring job as an athletic director and you darn well better hope he pans out in a big way! because you just hired a kid fresh out of college to lead a major corporation.

Why do you grade a hire before one game.  I didn't like the Archie hire but I gave him half way through his 4th year to grade him.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Why do you grade a hire before one game.  I didn't like the Archie hire but I gave him half way through his 4th year to grade him.

We live in a world of startups and incubators and all we want is the known.  I want the unknown who can do it!  Best hire would be after doing all the HW hiring who would be best.  I don't care if that person every coached college game.

Bob Knight once said Doc Colleson (spell??l) could coach any sport and do well at it.

When you got it, you got it.  

There is a reason why some are not in the NBA.  Yes, by choice, but also maybe because of other reasons. 

If we can go the opposite- wow!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thinking further on the 20 game schedule, historically we played a round Robin 18 game schedule.  It was fair.  Then the league expanded to 11 and so on.  A conference tournament was added.  When the tourney was added we went to a 16 game schedule plus tourney.  The problem now is that if you instituted fewer games you would have a woefully imbalanced schedule.  

I would argue they should settle on another solution than the crazy 20 games plus a tourney.  With how physical it is, that’s a pounding and these are college kids not 28 year old men, except for obviously the Davison kid from Wisconsin.  It’s suicidal to beat up on each other that often.  

I say you start the conference after January 1 as God intended it to be and fit as many games as makes sense. I believe that number is 16.   Then it’s the tourney.  That leaves some open games in December. That way you can get exposure to some other teams.  

As for the imbalanced schedule, that’s a necessary evil once you expanded so much. Think of it like the AFC in the NFL. Figure out a way to schedule it fairly.  Use divisions, whatever. 

I just think the intense pounding for 20 games PLUS the tourney is over the top. 

They could change it easily if they wanted to.  But it would do away with a B1G regular season champion.

11 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Who's Val Victorian, and what's his/her coaching creds?

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said I will get behind whoever he hires. And I will admit it’s possible even some HS coach could succeed here. POSSIBLE. And any fans bashing the guy who boycotting or whatever will take whatever that possible chance is and take it to zero. So it doesn’t pay to throw a fit. It’ll be what it is at that point. 

But we also can’t expect someone with very little evidence to back the notion of success to inspire “excitement.” There’s a big difference between trashing an incoming coach and awkward silence. 

The more silence with a hire the more the target is on Dolson’s back. If the consensus for the majority is “this guy is bound to be successful here” and he doesn’t pan out, it’s not as much pressure on the AD as him hiring some former player with zero head coaching experience and that person not panning out. If he has some “gut” feeling on someone fine...go with it and we’ll support. And if doesn’t work show him the door in a NY Minute.

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

We live in a world of startups and incubators and all we want is the known.  I want the unknown who can do it!  Best hire would be after doing all the HW hiring who would be best.  I don't care if that person every coached college game.

Bob Knight once said Doc Colleson (spell??l) could coach any sport and do well at it.

When you got it, you got it.  

There is a reason why some are not in the NBA.  Yes, by choice, but also maybe because of other reasons. 

If we can go the opposite- wow!

I want a coach who fits IU basketball and know what it takes to win here