Potential replacement coaches

11 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Well Alford has also never shown that he has the ability to be some great coach. He has coached a long time and made how many sweet sixteens? I think it's 5 or something like that.

I don’t want Alford although he would be an up grade over Miller! I am talking about some successful coaches who aren’t perfect oh what a terrible thought and some people change 

• Like 1

I'm all over the place on what I want. That ship sailed last week so I keep coming back to Beilein and Musselman. Beilein for a 5-6 year stop gap and get the program grounded again. People bring up the age deal. Guess what. Saban is a year older. 

Musselman is an intriguing coach, very energetic, plays social media perfectly....might be a really good match for style of play and the type of coach needed at IU. This hire has to win the fans over....and I guess I feel like if we bring back an IU guy we've created a problem or division within IU fans of which IU guy got the job. 

Personally I don't want an IU guy....because of all the candidates I don't see one that is better than the other.

• Like 3

I just feel like Dolson is looking for the right fit, not the biggest splash. Now it may end up being a big splash, because absolutely everyone is in the dark on this matter. 

I remember the Michigan people flipping out about Howard having zero head coaching experience, but now they’re eating crow. And I’m not saying that would make bringing in Cheaney, Woodson, Fife, Lewis etc. an equalizer because we obviously don’t have any clue. 

I think that Dolson is looking for these specific 😜 prerequisites:

1. A firm understanding of Indiana fans and our(reasonable) expectations.

- competing for a B1G championship on an annual basis. Top 5 average finish.
- consistently getting into the NCAA Tournament. 

2. Recruiting not only the state well, but expanding our brand nationally.

3. Keeping the former players close to the program. This is an asset that neither Archie or Crean took advantage of often. 

4. Indiana guys on staff(this could be one of the top priorities). 

5. Win, and do it often. 

6. Wash, rinse and repeat.

The order of said prerequisites may need to be shuffled, but I feel like those are all imperative. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would much rather the right guy be hired a week/two weeks/ month from now than to have a rash decision made because fans are getting antsy.

To my knowledge, not one poster on this or any IU message board is going to be adversely affected if this plays out for a bit.

I liked the advice one of the mods gave last week when the board went down, and I think it applies here as well...Go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather, and if it’s not nice, go read a book.

Time to step back and let the process play out. We have no impact in this decision and stressing about it will only hurt those who can’t 

I think we actually agree here!😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think I'm moving to the point that I'm just so impressed with how Scott Dolson is handling this that I'm just going to trust that he knows what he's doing. If it's a hire that I'm not blown away by, I'm going to assume that he went through his process of vetting, etc., and has really good reasons on whoever he selects. 

This. Like I said before, this isn't a baseball guy making a basketball hire. This guy has been around the game. And the way he's running this thing has been with the utmost professionalism.

Good or bad, he stuck his neck out there and did the hiring himself. Props to him, and I'm behind his hire 100%. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think I'm moving to the point that I'm just so impressed with how Scott Dolson is handling this that I'm just going to trust that he knows what he's doing. If it's a hire that I'm not blown away by, I'm going to assume that he went through his process of vetting, etc., and has really good reasons on whoever he selects. 

And this is the part I hope people understand as well. All the noise is us. I'm comfortable with Dolson being a one man show.

I'll just pose a question again just for the message board crowd....but why isn't a guy like Fred Hoiberg being discussed? I think he should be higher up on the wish list. Just needs a bigger stage. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How the hell does the NBA trade deadline effect IU basketball

I'm guessing they are saying they have info that there will be an announcement on that date, and they don't like the hire.

And they probably don't know what they are talking about.