Potential replacement coaches

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Since the ISP quatrain is being discussed, let me dredge up something related from last Friday, shortly before the Stevens rumors were put to rest:  One of the two "insiders" (I don't remember which one or on what board) said something about a new round of denials coming up but it might be a few days or weeks before it happens and to not get discouraged (very much paraphrased).

As someone who can be prone to over-analyzing things I've thought back to that post several times since.  My pessimist side tells me to knock it off. 🤨

I recall the same message.  Just a theory, but let's say the deal with BS is still in the works, but Boston wanted the insider flow of information and social media chatter to stop. Whether the reason for that is related to potential trades at the deadline,  or trying to keep the team engaged until the Celtics decide on leadership moving forward, who knows.  Once again, just a fun theory since nobody knows anything concrete anyway.

18 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Since the ISP quatrain is being discussed, let me dredge up something related from last Friday, shortly before the Stevens rumors were put to rest:  One of the two "insiders" (I don't remember which one or on what board) said something about a new round of denials coming up but it might be a few days or weeks before it happens and to not get discouraged (very much paraphrased).

As someone who can be prone to over-analyzing things I've thought back to that post several times since.  My pessimist side tells me to knock it off. 🤨

It was 0708.  After the firm denial he said it was over.  The denial was much more strident then they were expecting and that the ship has sailed.

I think we are all best to move on from Steven's.  If by some crazy turn of events he ends up here, a bunch of people will be over the moon.  In the much, much, much more likely event that he is truly staying in Boston, continuing to pine after this guy just throws a wet blanket over whomever does get hired.

He said he was a Masshole, personally after the press conference I think he added one letter too many.  Time to let this die.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It was 0708.  After the firm denial he said it was over.  The denial was much more strident then they were expecting and that the ship has sailed.

I think we are all best to move on from Steven's.  If by some crazy turn of events he ends up here, a bunch of people will be over the moon.  In the much, much, much more likely event that he is truly staying in Boston, continuing to pine after this guy just throws a wet blanket over whomever does get hired.

He said he was a Masshole, personally after the press conference I think he added one letter too many.  Time to let this die.

+1 I agree with everything except the last paragraph. I think this was a tough decision for BS and I still respect him.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I recall the same message.  Just a theory, but let's say the deal with BS is still in the works, but Boston wanted the insider flow of information and social media chatter to stop. Whether the reason for that is related to potential trades at the deadline,  or trying to keep the team engaged until the Celtics decide on leadership moving forward, who knows.  Once again, just a fun theory since nobody knows anything concrete anyway.

I do think that’s an interesting take.  If the Celtics were to become sellers did they maybe think for some reason not having Brad there would decrease their trade values?  Not sure that makes complete sense but maybe they feel having Brad still there would give them more leverage on potential trades.  As in this is not a complete rebuild but an adjustment that we don’t have to do so you better give us the value we expect.

I don’t think that’s the case but it’s an interesting to consider.

Edited by iuthruandthru
Random iPhone placed words
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

+1 I agree with everything except the last paragraph. I think this was a tough decision for BS and I still respect him.

It turned me off pretty good.  Brad Stevens isn't the only good to great coach out there.  Maybe Indiana people in general have crowned how m too early?  His runs at Butler did include a great deal of luck.  He also had a few pros on the first team and was it one pro guard on the 2nd team?  Do I want him?  Heck yes.  He's still my number 1-100 choice but there are others who can right this ship.  I think I trust Dolson for now.  

• Like 4

Just now, iuthruandthru said:

I do think that’s an interesting take.  If the Celtics were to become sellers did they maybe think for some reason not having Brad there would feminist their trade values?  Not sure that makes complete sense but maybe they feel having Brad still there would give them more leverage on potential trades.  As in this is not a complete rebuild but an adjustment that we don’t have to do so you better give us the value we expect.

Yep.  It's fun to speculate and theorize, no matter how preposterous.  What else are we gonna do? It's fun.  Basically amounts to mental masturbation 😳

I know pretty much nothing about how this search is going, but I'm relatively certain that whoever is the chosen one, it will be someone who has been mentioned on one of the boards.  It has to be - I think half the names in the phone book have come up at least once!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I respect him as a basketball mind.  I have never had reason to root for his success though.  I saw Butler as direct competition to Indiana when he was there and his success was detrimental to ours.  Then he went to the NBA and became a coach in an area that I despise on multiple levels.  I will always root for Boston area teams to lose.  Always.

If he doesn't want to be a part of what we got going on here, then he becomes a nobody to me.  He might as well be Luke Walton.

Edited by IUCrazy2

12 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I do think that’s an interesting take.  If the Celtics were to become sellers did they maybe think for some reason not having Brad there would decrease their trade values?  Not sure that makes complete sense but maybe they feel having Brad still there would give them more leverage on potential trades.  As in this is not a complete rebuild but an adjustment that we don’t have to do so you better give us the value we expect.

This could all be completely viable... However, what NBA team would buy or sell players during the trade deadline with out a committed head coach. I would be one pi$$ed player if I came to Boston, thinking Brads the coach,.....only to find out he had plans to leave. 

18 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yep.  It's fun to speculate and theorize, no matter how preposterous.  What else are we gonna do? It's fun.  Basically amounts to mental masturbation 😳

I know pretty much nothing about how this search is going, but I'm relatively certain that whoever is the chosen one, it will be someone who has been mentioned on one of the boards.  It has to be - I think half the names in the phone book have come up at least once!

you changed your Avatar.  I do not approve.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

My thought with that is that if other teams KNOW you’re blowing up your roster to “reboot” then they’re gonna be a little more apt to low ball you in trades or maybe even not trade and hope you release, also it’s possible if some of your players know you’re “giving up” they might demand a trade or want to be released, etc.

35 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It turned me off pretty good.  Brad Stevens isn't the only good to great coach out there.  Maybe Indiana people in general have crowned how m too early?  His runs at Butler did include a great deal of luck.  He also had a few pros on the first team and was it one pro guard on the 2nd team?  Do I want him?  Heck yes.  He's still my number 1-100 choice but there are others who can right this ship.  I think I trust Dolson for now.  

We all have to admit though, on paper and in public, Brad Stevens checks all boxes of a dream coach. Not a red flag in site. He’s Indiana born and bread, young, very intelligent, collected, X’s & O’s guy, “squeaky clean” etc. That’s why the love affair. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I do not know where you stand on both of these related topics. But as a board us IU fans are incoherent: 

• One hand: Stevens doesn't want to take IU job despite being from Indiana - what a jerk. He should respect the state he came from. 
  • Other hand: The fact that Coach Woodson is from Indiana and went to IU should not play any role in whether he is considered for the position. 

RESPECT IS A TWO WAY STREET. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I do not know where you stand on both of these related topics. But as a board us IU fans are incoherent: 

• One hand: Stevens doesn't want to take IU job despite being from Indiana - what a jerk. He should respect the state he came from. 
  • Other hand: The fact that Coach Woodson is from Indiana and went to IU should not play any role in whether he is considered for the position. 

You’re going to find gobs of inconsistencies IF you compare views collectively on the board. But the majority of fans I’ve read seem to be consistent in their particular positions. Even guys like IU Scott I disagree with on a lot I respect because he’s consistent. 

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

You’re going to find gobs of inconsistencies IF you compare views collectively on the board. But the majority of fans I’ve read seem to be consistent in their particular positions. Even guys like IU Scott I disagree with on a lot I respect because he’s consistent. 

Agreed - the board as a whole should not be coherent! And this is definitely not the place to find a majority of people willing to discuss the topics in subtle manner. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

It isn't about respect.  It is about qualifications.  Stevens is well qualified to take over IU (the fact he is from Indiana and viewed IU as a dream school makes people believe he should jump at the chance to coach here).  Woodson with no college/recruiting experience is a questionable hire in the face of more qualified candidates even though he is from IU/played for IU and is begging for the job.  I  respect both of them, but only want one of them for head basketball coach.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, iucane said:

It isn't about respect.  It is about qualifications.  Stevens is well qualified to take over IU (the fact he is from Indiana and viewed IU as a dream school makes people believe he should jump at the chance to coach here).  Woodson with no college/recruiting experience is a questionable hire in the face of more qualified candidates even though he is from IU/played for IU and is begging for the job.  I  respect both of them, but only want one of them for head basketball coach.

If I were in a position to hire someone, for any job, this is a no brainer. Passion for what you are doing will make you more successful in the long run, imo. Stevens' heart is not in it, based on his comments. Woodson, on the other hand, appears as though he'd give his right arm to coach at his alma mater.

As much as Stevens appears, on paper to be the superior candidate, if he doesn't have the passion for the job, he's not the right fit.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

you changed your Avatar.  I do not approve.  

Lol.  It's still Chuck.  It's from a video I found on YT from when he did televised wrestling.  He's interviewing Dick the Bruiser in that one.  I may need to see If I can find the video of when he played "Kedso the Clown".

I'll probably bring back the Classic Chuck from the Bob Knight Show.  Just having some fun (I had a short-lived "Chuck Stevens" on here for a couple of days).

58 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Selling Brad kind of short? LOL  I mean the 'Dawgs were one Hayward shot away from winning a title and went back to the same game the following year without Gordon.  Matt Howard was the glue of both teams.  Tough kid.  Hayward along with Shelvin Mack were the NBA guys.  They were #5 and #8 seeds for those years.  And fwiw good coached teams routinely win close  games.  

29 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I would forgive Stevens and want him over Woodson.

I would be just fine with Woodson and have been sort of advocating for him in a few posts the last few days.