Potential replacement coaches

5 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

If we are down that far it’s about shutting the program down or at least save tax payer money and go higher the best HS Coach in the state and pay them $500,000 a year.

i said it before, i am an IU guy.  1992-1997.  yes, took me 5 years as i had more fun than i attended classes.  i love IU and really want the job.  i have coached bball for 28 years.  i'm currently a school teacher.  i'll do it for $250,000.  no hard feelings when they fire me after 1 year.  then we can hire Stevens?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i was really hoping absolute worst case scenario was Beilein or Matta.  i can't even wrap my brain around which "IU guy" i would want as a fallback.  Woodson doesn't excite me at all.  i feel like Lewis or Fife could become a great coach one day, but who knows?  just can't even imagine Cheaney who has never been a head coach or even a #1 assistant.  i might take Fife i guess?

Hopefully Dolson is just doing his due diligence, because none of these former IU guys is who we need right now. Fife and Lewis MIGHT one day be good coaches but I don't think IU can take that chance right now.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i was really hoping absolute worst case scenario was Beilein or Matta.  i can't even wrap my brain around which "IU guy" i would want as a fallback.  Woodson doesn't excite me at all.  i feel like Lewis or Fife could become a great coach one day, but who knows?  just can't even imagine Cheaney who has never been a head coach or even a #1 assistant.  i might take Fife i guess?

Exactly. This would be an AWFUL fall back situation.

Think for a minute if they set out to try and get a head coaching gig anywhere they could, the level of program that would hire them, and the contract they’d get...

Folks these are NOT viable options for any semi big D1 school who isn’t just saying “I’ll take a big gamble.”

Take a Northwestern. Look at their past several hires and compare them to a resume of a Calvert, Fife, etc. 😳😫

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i said it before, i am an IU guy.  1992-1997.  yes, took me 5 years as i had more fun than i attended classes.  i love IU and really want the job.  i have coached bball for 28 years.  i'm currently a school teacher.  i'll do it for $250,000.  no hard feelings when they fire me after 1 year.  then we can hire Stevens?

If we can’t take Stevens you’re hired :)

• Like 1

I finally joined the fray. Sent Dolson an email this morning. Told I don't the IU guy is the right approach because it will now create division amongst fans saying we should have hired this IU guy not that one. 

If we can't hit any of the big targets....I'm still getting intrigued more and more with Hoiberg. He and Musselman are my long term guys. If we choose a stop gap approach I'm cool with Beilein. That is if any of them would like to come here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I finally joined the fray. Sent Dolson an email this morning. Told I don't the IU guy is the right approach because it will now create division amongst fans saying we should have hired this IU guy not that one. 

If we can't hit any of the big targets....I'm still getting intrigued more and more with Hoiberg. He and Musselman are my long term guys. If we choose a stop gap approach I'm cool with Beilein. That is if any of them would like to come here.

Hoiberg...I feel I have done my fair share of time wasting trying to keep up with this Coaching search, but this is the first I have seen this mention.  And I don’t mind it.  Unfortunately for the mayor, the Senator will get it (yep...Stevens)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow I think you’re very right in that angle. Well put.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Wow I think you’re very right in that angle. Well put.

Was playing golf with a few guys yesterday and 1 said Fife, 1 said Smart, 1 said Alford....and I said before I knock down this putt the madness is already starting. Everyone will say they wanted this or that IU guy. At least Dolson has my email and he knows we contribute. 

I think a few on here have mentioned Hoiberg....but the more I look at things the more I think he's right there with some of our targets. Just needs a stage. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Figure we might see Hoiberg go back to Iowa St where he is the mayor of Ames

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He loved his time in Indy I can say that. I'm sure Iowa St has the intrigue but just a name I've been thinking about for a week. I've always like the way he coaches, he can recruit and obviously knows the game. I think he'd win and win quickly here.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Was playing golf with a few guys yesterday and 1 said Fife, 1 said Smart, 1 said Alford....and I said before I knock down this putt the madness is already starting. Everyone will say they wanted this or that IU guy. At least Dolson has my email and he knows we contribute. 

I think a few on here have mentioned Hoiberg....but the more I look at things the more I think he's right there with some of our targets. Just needs a stage. 

We have people trashing Woodson's record on here because he could not turn some of the worst franchises in NBA history into perennial powers overnight and now we are discussing a coach that went 14-45 at Nebraska... 

We ARE WAY down the rabbit hole.

Edited by GaloisGroupe
grammar
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hoiberg?!...the only thing that comes to mind about him is the last night of basketball last year in the btt and how he looked like he was dying...he did build his Iowa State teams off of transfers...but I wouldn't be excited if we hired him...

1 minute ago, GaloisGroupe said:

We have people trashing Woodson's record on here because he could not turn some of the worst franchises in NBA history into perennial powers overnight and now we discussing a coach that went 14-45 at Nebraska... 

We ARE WAY down the rabbit hole.

Understand. He made 4 of 5 tourneys in Ames though in short order. That's far better than us. I don't count Nebraska. Their entire athletic department is a cess pool. 

26 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

If we can’t take Stevens you’re hired :)

i would very likely bench guys often for attitude/effort.  i wouldn't sub much either.  i'm not talking to the press at half time ever.  a little nervous what i'll say after a loss too.  if i know i'm going out after 1 year, i'll probably throw a chair in my last game just to say i did it.  oh and lastly, my son isn't tall enough to be a B1G guard, but he would graduate a year early like Lander did and come with me.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JcityHoosier said:

Hoiberg?!...the only thing that comes to mind about him is the last night of basketball last year in the btt and how he looked like he was dying...he did build his Iowa State teams off of transfers...but I wouldn't be excited if we hired him...

I don't think he is a good fit here

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i would very likely bench guys often for attitude/effort.  i wouldn't sub much either.  i'm not talking to the press at half time ever.  a little nervous what i'll say after a loss too.  if i know i'm going out after 1 year, i'll probably throw a chair in my last game just to say i did it.  oh and lastly, my son isn't tall enough to be a B1G guard, but he would graduate a year early like Lander did and come with me.  

I thought you would go undefeated since everyone on here is the best coach in the country

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. He made 4 of 5 tourneys in Ames though in short order. That's far better than us. I don't count Nebraska. Their entire athletic department is a cess pool. 

I have nothing against Hoiberg. I am just saying any argument defending Hoiberg's time at Nebraska should be applied to Woodson. 

In two and half years as the head coach of the Knicks: 109 - 79 for a 57.98%.

Games with any coach other than Woodson over the past 10 seasons: 207-393 for a 34.50%.

The Knicks are the Nebraska of NBA franchises.