Potential replacement coaches

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yeags is a former soccer player that is a on the coaching staff at IU soccer now. He played for Jerry Yeagley.  Not saying what he says is gospel but he is inside the athletic department.  

How long has he been there? Milehiiu (R.I.P.) had a source who worked in the athletic department, would tell him what recruits were going to commit and when, and was never wrong with any of them. Occasionally mile would share some of those tidbits with me. It's a shame he's gone now. I wonder if that was his source. 

15 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Stevens isn't coming to IU.

And if wanted to, he won't be well-received, as he's 'alienated' too many people by calling himself a Masshole.

Yaaaaaaaaaah.... I don’t think so. IF he were to come... people would receive him with open arms. Not not because he called himself a masshole. People want coaches that have faaaaaar more baggage than calling themselves a masshole. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

How long has he been there? Milehiiu (R.I.P.) had a source who worked in the athletic department, would tell him what recruits were going to commit and when, and was never wrong with any of them. Occasionally mile would share some of those tidbits with me. It's a shame he's gone now. I wonder if that was his source. 

I’m not sure.  I know his name but I’m sorry, I’m not sharing that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They added a guy that averages 20ppg?

To be honest I don't think getting him is going to move the needle for them much. I think they have a lot more problems then what Fournier can bring. Whenever I watch the Celtics it's like they have no fire in them, they seem to play lethargic most of the time. They need to play more like they did in the fourth quarter of yesterdays game.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

On an awful team.  Evan Fournier doesn’t move the needle, sorry BGleas.  Aaron Gordon makes me think you are serious, Evan not so much.  That’s just my opinion though.

They're not asking him to be the star player. They just acquired a guy that averages 20ppg and shoots from 3, and he'll be there 4thcor 5th best player. That's a pretty solid pickup. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

They're not asking him to be the star player. They just acquired a guy that averages 20ppg and shoots from 3, and he'll be there 4thcor 5th best player. That's a pretty solid pickup. 

When I say doesn’t move the needle I should’ve said that it’s not getting them much if any higher in the standings.  If Stevens wants out now is the perfect timing because they are way  behind the Nets, Bucks, Heat, and some others.  Again that’s a big if. Fournier is a nice pickup but not a great one I guess would be the simplest for me to put it.  Enough NBA talk for me.  

• Like 3

I'm curious what everyone thinks about two things...

1. Where is the line drawn that "if we get any one of these coaches, we'll be fine" and most of the guys that are in the transfer portal will come back, vs "any one of those coaches, we'll probably be starting over and lose the transfers"?

2. Stevens is my first choice out of all the options that have been discussed. But, let's say we get him and he just doesn't get the job done, similar results as Miller. How bad would that be for the program if in 4-5 years we're again wondering if we need to find another new coach? Personally, I think it could be devastating, and that's what I really hope doesn't happen.

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yeags is a former soccer player that is a on the coaching staff at IU soccer now. He played for Jerry Yeagley.  Not saying what he says is gospel but he is inside the athletic department.  

Knowing what I know about the soccer program I have a pretty good idea who that would be.   

Heck knowing that makes me want to create an account over there to try and get some insider info on the soccer program. Lol 

I was talking about the state of the program with a friend earlier, and who might become the next coach etc. 

Anyway, we both remembered being ho-hum about the Archie hire. Then when it was announced that Ed Schilling was going to be joining the staff, we remembered  getting excited about that. We had momentum in recruiting and someone who(dare I say it) was an “Indiana guy.” We felt like this was ultimately the beginning of the end for Archie. I’m not positive... but he was in large part responsible for us landing Romeo, and securing a commitment from TJD, before his abrupt departure from the program.

We both agreed that the only hire that would please almost everyone would be Stevens. Anyone else will have some form of backlash. Although I think most would get over it if it were Beard or Drew. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I was talking about the state of the program with a friend earlier, and who might become the next coach etc. 

Anyway, we both remembered being ho-hum about the Archie hire. Then when it was announced that Ed Schilling was going to be joining the staff, we remembered  getting excited about that. We had momentum in recruiting and someone who(dare I say it) was an “Indiana guy.” We felt like this was ultimately the beginning of the end for Archie. I’m not positive... but he was in large part responsible for us landing Romeo, and securing a commitment from TJD, before his abrupt departure from the program.

We both agreed that the only hire that would please almost everyone would be Stevens. Anyone else will have some form of backlash. Although I think most would get over it if it were Beard or Drew. 

Ostrom took over lead recruiting on TJD and I think Romeo.  Schilling was integral in getting Archie into some right doors but his crappy system would have shut them with or without Schilling