Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And there is absolutely zero chance Brad Stevens is named IU's next coach.  None.  Nada.  Zilch.  

Not happening.  No hope.  No sliver of a chance.  There is no smoke because there is no flame. 

NO.  JUST NO.

No chance, like 1 in 1,000?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree that Marquette is a better job for Moser. 

That said, I don’t understand why some national guys think IU firing CAM is unreasonable. He finished in the bottom half of the league all 4 years and never played a game in the tournament. His on the court product looked horrible and never showed improvement in the areas we struggled in from day 1. Marquette would fire Archie too if they were in a similar situation and had a donor willing to front the cash for a buyout. How long is a program supposed to wait until they fire a coach with subpar results? 5 years? 7 years?  10 years? 

I supported CAM getting a 5th year, and even I don’t think firing him was unreasonable. It really just boils down to that the media thinks we should accept mediocrity. In their eyes Crean should have never been fired since he won 2 Big Ten championships and made the S16 twice.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, madmax said:

I supported CAM getting a 5th year, and even I don’t think firing him was unreasonable. It really just boils down to that the media thinks we should accept mediocrity. In their eyes Crean should have never been fired since he won 2 Big Ten championships and made the S16 twice.

But they were just fine with guys like Ollie, Matta, Tubby, Weber, etc getting fired.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madmax said:

They have more of an argument with Crean than they do with CAM though. However, most didn’t know (as we found out later) the degree that Crean lost the state and burned bridges amongst high school and AAU coaches. 

Mike Davis even said he wasn’t ready for the job after he was fired, and the fact that Sampson was even brought up in the article to support their point was grasping. 

8 hours ago, Bustout said:

For $21mm, I bet 10 of us on here can design an offense to shoot 35 threes per game.   

That's the thing.. you have 4/5 dudes on the court, consistently, that can flick it.. you don't have to really design much offense. 

Find a ball screen. Everything else just flows. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

What is the ROI for National Title for a school like IU?  Anyone know how much money is made by a school from boosters, alumni, recruiting, sales, admissions, etc...  

Not sure National Titles are the primary determining factor. Does it help, sure. But if you look at the top 10 most valuable programs in the article below that was written about this time last year, 4 B1G teams in the top 10 and the only B1G team to win a National Title in the past 20 years is ranked behind IU and O$U.

Most of the Top 10 are B1G and ACC teams (premier basketball conferences) with Kentucky and Kansas. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2020/03/19/college-basketball-most-valuable-teams-ncaa-march-madness/?sh=2f34d9285d0d

43 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree that Marquette is a better job for Moser. 

That said, I don’t understand why some national guys think IU firing CAM is unreasonable. He finished in the bottom half of the league all 4 years and never played a game in the tournament. His on the court product looked horrible and never showed improvement in the areas we struggled in from day 1. Marquette would fire Archie too if they were in a similar situation and had a donor willing to front the cash for a buyout. How long is a program supposed to wait until they fire a coach with subpar results? 5 years? 7 years?  10 years? 

They all said it was a great hire too.  Maybe they had a little invested in Miller being the guy here too.  So instead of admitting they were wrong, they can bash Indiana.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I continue to tell myself (and so far working) this is NOT going to happen.

Pretty soon I’ll be white knuckling keeping my excitement down. But still in full command of my emotions. 💪🏻

No chance it happens, but I would love to be proven wrong with BS signature on the contract.

5 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Smart to Marquette.... now for my big huge prediction.....

Cal to Texas. 

Yes, you heard it here first.

That would be interesting. I figure it will be Beard. But you bring up a solid point, Texas has the money to get Calipari and better recruiting grounds. Interesting thought. Well done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I mean, devastating as in worse than not scoring for the last 9 minutes of a game, in a must win game? Missing the tournament for at least 3 of the last 4 years? Giving up a home NIT game because you're concerned about how the fans will react to your lame duck coach? Having to completely gut the program because you trusted a coach with a checkered past? This program is currently a very average one nation-wide, has been for a couple of decades, and that's probably being a little bit generous.

I guess what I'm saying is, it can get worse? At least if Stevens doesn't work out, you know that you've hired the absolute best person to turn everything around, someone that checks ALL of the boxes. Besides, by that point, we would have already won a national championship in football and are officially a football school. 

Agreed on the thought that hiring Stevens means we got the absolute best candidate, checks all the boxes, etc.

But no I wasn't saying it could get worse. All I'm saying is, what if even with Stevens, the results don't get better. If that were to happen, would that take the state of the program into an even darker period of discontent? I just don't want to think about what the mindset of the program would be if we end up at the point of, "We hired the guy we wanted, the best option, and it didn't work. What the hell do we do now?!"

• Like 1