Potential replacement coaches

56 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The last post was kind of tongue in cheek, but seriously though, I hope we get this hire figured out soon.  I know everyone is saying that we can throw a team together from the transfer portal, but if we get on these guys late, I kind of get the impression that we are going to be picking out of the bargain bin at Walmart.

When our next coach is still coaching in the NCAA tournament, there is not a whole lot we can do at this point.  I know Armaan at least talked to Dolson.  I hope the other guys have done that as well.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I hope we announce soon! If it’s someone still coaching great! But at least tell the players! 

That would be totally unfair to the coach and the players on his current team who are trying to win a championship and don't need the distraction.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When our next coach is still coaching in the NCAA tournament, there is not a whole lot we can do at this point.  I know Armaan at least talked to Dolson.  I hope the other guys have done that as well.  

Yeah, that better be the case.  If our next hire is not 1 of 17 people, I am going to be interested in an explanation of what took so long.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That would be totally unfair to the coach and the players on her current team who are trying to win a championship and don't need the distraction.

So you think it is going to be Teri Moren taking over the Men's basketball program?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madmax said:

Yes. As far as I’m concerned, a winning coach is worth up to the highest amount the boosters are willing to pay. $50 million of someone else’s money if it means we win? Count me in.

I am also willing to spend however much of someone else's money it takes to hire a great coach and turn IU into a winning program again.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Then you are settling and we will be right back here 4 years from now.  Let things run the course.  If we lose a couple of players who can't be patient, so be it.  Getting the right coach is far more critical than any individual player.  

No, I want the best person for the job. Just would like to know who that person is sooner rather than later. Fans are allowed to be impatient.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wonder why Dana Altman hasn’t gotten more traction? Is it his age? Oregon plays a pretty efficient game offensively and guy has been as successful as any of the other coaches in our search.

He has a similar history to Alford in regards to handling of a sexual assault case.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wonder why Dana Altman hasn’t gotten more traction? Is it his age? Oregon plays a pretty efficient game offensively and guy has been as successful as any of the other coaches in our search.

He's old and has baggage.  If he was 55 and no baggage he'd be a solid hire.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He's old and has baggage.  If he was 55 and no baggage he'd be a solid hire.

So Beilein is older and has baggage...hmm just wondering. I’ve liked what he has built at Oregon. Last year had possibly a final four team...could have been back to back.

I’m terrified to ask, but what’s the working theory on why we’ve worked it out with Stevens for awhile but they are delaying an announcement? The trade deadline wouldn’t and didn’t change anything.  If Larranaga took over for the C’s, they still would have made the same deals.  Short of a drastic change in heart, nothing makes sense here.  

With Beard, Texas is now open.  Perfect storm has formed.  Texas has been the worry with him all long.  If he’s out for IU, I wonder if we have good back channel info on someone still coaching, like Muss or Oats?  If it’s Oats, somebody has deep pockets to pay the $12.5 M buyout.  The second donor is paying transition costs for the new coach and that’s always been an interesting clue.  That’s not a term I recall from earlier searches.  It’s as if something significant was referenced there.  I mean, it’s not to pay Mayflower to get the new coach’s stuff.  This is presumably a significant line item.  So, why?

• Like 5

Just now, Muckraker said:

What's his baggage? 

Nba thugs comments. That sits even worse today then when it happened. Going to make recruiting even more difficult which wasn’t his strong suit to begin with. Combine that with the states history with the KKK and well not a good look for IU.

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m terrified to ask, but what’s the working theory on why we’ve worked it out with Stevens for awhile but they are delaying an announcement? The trade deadline wouldn’t and didn’t change anything.  If Larranaga took over for the C’s, they still would have made the same deals.  Short of a drastic change in heart, nothing makes sense here.  

With Beard, Texas is now open.  Perfect storm has formed.  Texas has been the worry with him all long.  If he’s out for IU, I wonder if we have good back channel info on someone still coaching, like Muss or Oats?  If it’s Oats, somebody has deep pockets to pay the $12.5 M buyout.  The second donor is paying transition costs for the new coach and that’s always been an interesting clue.  That’s not a term I recall from earlier searches.  It’s as if something significant was referenced there.  I mean, it’s not to pay Mayflower to get the new coach’s stuff.  This is presumably a significant line item.  So, why?

We'll see.  There's a guy on Peegs who's been saying before Archie was even fired that Stevens is the guy and it will be announced on March 27.  50 years to the day of RMKs hiring. 

If nothing happens tomorrow start getting worried.  Yeah maybe Dolson has been after Drew or Musselman all along and that's fine as long as he gets them.  But it's also possible that he doesn't know what he's doing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yep more and more programs are going to be vying for top coaches services. Wonder where this is headed.

• Like 1