Potential replacement coaches

3 minutes ago, TargaFlorio said:

That sounds a lot like Doyel's source was Holtmann himself, wouldn't surprise me.  He would have a closer relationship to Holtmann than people on the IU beat.  

Think about it, why in the hell would Dolson make a run at Holtmann after interviewing Woodson and Cheaney one week after OSU was eliminated from the tournament.

Makes absolutely no sense.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TargaFlorio said:

That sounds a lot like Doyel's source was Holtmann himself, wouldn't surprise me.  He would have a closer relationship to Holtmann than people on the IU beat.  

I think people forget how long Rabby has been at this. He's had Holtmann on speed dial years before Doyel. Not that it matters but I love it when reporters are puffing themselves up as unimpeachable when half their work is citing unnamed sources.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TargaFlorio said:

And I don't think anyone at Ohio State is beyond leaking incorrect information in order to make IU look bad and perhaps even put a bug in the OSU athletic departments ear about needing to re-up their commitment to coach Holtmann. 

OSU's athletic department is vicious and territorial. They have sued other schools for using "OSU", they have made sure that radio talk show hosts were fired for implying anything negative about their football program (Bruce Hooley, his nephew was a student and track athlete of mine, I know exactly what happened). OSU has a ton of money and people dedicated to the job of controlling information...a ton of propaganda comes out of that place...I wouldn't at all be surprised if this were part of it...

plus, Doyel is nothing more than a shock jock...He is willing to say just about anything and will not own his mistakes...He says terrible things about players all season long, his critique of players and coaches often borders on personal attacks, calling the program a dumpster fire, and then acts like it is fans that make IU a hard place to play...he's a snake.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

And I don't think anyone at Ohio State is beyond leaking incorrect information in order to make IU look bad and perhaps even put a bug in the OSU athletic departments ear about needing to re-up their commitment to coach Holtmann. 

OSU's athletic department is vicious and territorial. They have sued other schools for using "OSU", they have made sure that radio talk show hosts were fired for implying anything negative about their football program (Bruce Hooley, his nephew was a student and track athlete of mine, I know exactly what happened). OSU has a ton of money and people dedicated to the job of controlling information...a ton of propaganda comes out of that place...I wouldn't at all be surprised if this were part of it...

plus, Doyel is nothing more than a shock jock...He is willing to say just about anything and will not own his mistakes...He says terrible things about players all season long, his critique of players and coaches often borders on personal attacks, calling the program a dumpster fire, and then acts like it is fans that make IU a hard place to play...he's a snake.

Doyel is going to regret this past hour. He jumped in and basically said I'm right at the top of his lungs. People who are right don't need to yell anything. Rabby response was perfect. 

Now back to business. This search needs to get some clarity soon because no matter if it's false because of media,etc.....it appears to be going crazy and no matter how much we say differently it will reflect poorly on IU and our fans. Fair or unfair it just will.

• Like 3

Lmfao, so this is what, the third coach we’ve had inconsistent “intel” from “sources” within the media (Stevens, Matta, Holtmann)? 

And these people want us to pay for their content?!?! This isn’t journalism any longer, it’s becoming who can fling crap at the wall and when one turd finally sticks that person can say “told you so!”

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Doyel is going to regret this past hour. He jumped in and basically said I'm right at the top of his lungs. People who are right don't need to yell anything. Rabby response was perfect. 

Now back to business. This search needs to get some clarity soon because no matter if it's false because of media,etc.....it appears to be going crazy and no matter how much we say differently it will reflect poorly on IU and our fans. Fair or unfair it just will.

I agree with this...It is infinitely better to hire Michael Lewis five days after the job opens and sell it as bringing home and IU guy who has great pedigree and connections than it is to hire Michael Lewis 25 days after the job opens and have to fend off accusations that we couldn't get anyone else...

The tournament still going is a complicating factor in all of this...OSU and a few other schools doing poorly in the tournament made that even harder because those potential candidates are not coaching right now so their names can be tossed around freely...

I think that soon IU will need to embrace the underdog role and say here is our coach, he's a fighter, he recruits fighters, and it doesn't matter what the media says, we are going to fight like mad and win games...To me, that was the IU I grew up on. We certainly had great recruits, but we were underdogs compared to the UNLVs and the Michigans of the world...we fought like mad and won games...I don't want blue blood arguments, I want blue collar work ethic and gym rats that will do whatever it takes to win as a team...If that means Lewis, great, if that means Musselman, great, if that means Oats, great. No more halfway though. No more preaching about being hard working but never defending or screening or running the floor or being tough around the basket.

On this I agree with Dakitch, we need to develop an IU vs the world mindset...including getting behind our next coach the way our fanbase ought to...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The Texas job impacts Beard and no one else on our wish list.  At this point, you might as well say we are competing against Texas Tech.  

I’d say Texas is attractive to any coach. Money/facilities...fertile recruiting grounds. Drew would likely get looked at too I bet.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully Holtmann was just another name on Dolson’s list and nothing more than that.  It would be very odd for Dolson to think about coaches except literally all of the favorites in Beard, Oats, Muss, and Drew.   We are hopefully simply just not hearing anything on them but there is interest.

PS Holtmann is probably the source.  He loves to flap his lips about not wanting the IU job lol.  He’s like the girl you say “hi” to who thinks you have a crush on her.   Calm down.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Hopefully Holtmann was just another name on Dolson’s list and nothing more than that.  It would be very odd for Dolson to think about coaches except literally all of the favorites in Beard, Oats, Muss, and Drew.   

PS Holtmann is probably the source.  He loves to flap his lips about not wanting the IU job lol.  He’s like the girl you say “hi” to who thinks you have a crush on her.   Calm down.  

The source was some clowns key board,