Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HoosierMama said:

I guess some guy on Peegs has been saying it’s Stevens and it would be announced at noon on 3/27.  Sounds like he’s been saying this since before Archie was even fired and hasn’t wavered.  

I know in my head he’s likely not coming but I just don’t want to give up yet.  If we have an underwhelming hire I’ll be sad and I just want to be happy for a little longer.  Even if I’m in fantasy land 😂

Totally with you on this 😂 Of course I'll support our new coach, no matter what.  But just that little thought in my head that doesn't go away... what if....

If IU were to land their “guy,” in Stevens or Beard, does Dolson win the troll of a lifetime award? Whoever, and whatever has been said to IU fans from media muppets can expect unrelenting backlash on the largest scale imaginable. Which I hope to be the case, because if not... oh boy.  

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think the Holman thing went like this. IU person calls Chris, hey Chris you interested in the Indiana job? No ok thank you just want to make people think Indiana is desperate and still looking. Thanks for your time

Let’s hope that is the case. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think the Holman thing went like this. IU person calls Chris, hey Chris you interested in the Indiana job? No ok thank you just want to make people think Indiana is desperate and still looking. Thanks for your time

Or more like it went like this

Holtmann to his agent, hey lets see if I  can get a raise. His agent, ok lets leak that other schools have inquired about you. We will start by saying IU contacted you about their opening, that should get the ball rolling.

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

At this point I'm about ready to roll with Alford and Lewis.  At least those guys would love to be here and would fight like hell with a chip on their shoulder.  

27 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

At this point I'm about ready to roll with Alford and Lewis.  At least those guys would love to be here and would fight like hell with a chip on their shoulder.  

So, you don't even give someone like Musselman a chance?  How do you know he would not love to be here?  Is he supposed to just quit on his current team right before the Sweet 16 because IU fans are impatient?

I look at the coaching search like this. The longer it goes on (within reason), probably the better off IU will be. In 3 years from now if IU hires a "homerun" coach, will anyone even remember or care that it took 3 weeks for the search to conclude instead of 7-10 days? I will continue to trust in Dolson until he gives me a reason to doubt him.

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, you don't even give someone like Musselman a chance?  How do you know he would not love to be here?  Is he supposed to just quit on his current team right before the Sweet 16 because IU fans are impatient?

Of course.  Make the call.  But if he and Drew say no.

17 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Call me crazy but I think Wade and Bosh, and trying to win a championship, had more to do with LeBrons move to Florida than the states tax policy. If the tax rate meant so much to LeBron why in the world would he then go to California?

You're right. He tried to get Bosh to sign with him in Cleveland. When he refused, they both went to MIA. The no income tax in FL was just one bonus to going there.

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Of course.  Make the call.  But if he and Drew say no.

I realize he is controversial to some, but Drew would not say no if IU offered anywhere near what they did (supposedly) for Brad. And I'm not guessing on that. Unfortunately, I don't think IU will reach out and make that offer.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I am not 100% sold on the Alford part of that equation, but I could definitely buy into the idea of Lewis heading up a young and hungry staff, especially if you could convince a Wittman or a Woodson to be on the staff as a mentor...I honestly feel like you could fill out a staff with IU guys that could really recruit and develop players and would have a really strong background in Xs and Os...

Pull from a list of Cheaney, Moye, Fife, Guyton, Woodson, Wittman to get your lead assistants all the way through DOBO and put Lewis at the helm, and I could be sold on it...

I am sure that it would be a hard sell to get those guys as assistants, but they would fight like mad and would have 100 years experience between them...

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

If that is true Holtman is a piece of crap. Just say not interested and move on instead of trying to get more money or damage the image and reputation of another school. 

6 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I am not 100% sold on the Alford part of that equation, but I could definitely buy into the idea of Lewis heading up a young and hungry staff, especially if you could convince a Wittman or a Woodson to be on the staff as a mentor...I honestly feel like you could fill out a staff with IU guys that could really recruit and develop players and would have a really strong background in Xs and Os...

Pull from a list of Cheaney, Moye, Fife, Guyton, Woodson, Wittman to get your lead assistants all the way through DOBO and put Lewis at the helm, and I could be sold on it...

I am sure that it would be a hard sell to get those guys as assistants, but they would fight like mad and would have 100 years experience between them...

I do NOT want this situation but I’d NOT want Alford 1000x more.

But the reason I think a big staff of former players would never work is that they all would want to be the guy to turn it around. They’d all have a HUGE emotional connection to fixing it (positive), that I can’t fathom them being close chemistry wise when it came to issues they disagreed with (HUGE negative). Particularly since they didn’t even play together on same teams. They’re from different eras. Most I think anyway. 🤔 

IMO it would be a recipe for disaster...besides the lack of cred in the eyes of recruits, lack of experience and lack of a resume.

But it might “feel warm and fuzzy” to have a bunch of people we have sentimental attachment to leading the program even if there wouldn’t be a single mid major program who’d EVER hire that staff.🤦🏻‍♂️

Archived