Potential replacement coaches

4 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Ok so I’m not for Moser or against Moser I’m just along for the ride honestly. With that being said people keep mentioning two tourneys in 17 years. It’s been said that he changed his philosophy 4 years ago and that’s what brought him success. So let me ask this question. If I’m fat for 13 years and I try things to lose weight but I’m still fat and then I change my habits and now for the last 4 years I lose all the weight and become skinny and I know if I keep this same philosophy are people going to say well you were only skinny for 4 years and fat for 13 so you’re still fat? No they are going to say what did you do you look great. So instead of Judging Moser for his career look at him since he made his change. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🙈🕺

I don’t think they pay $10 mil to get Moser. But I agree that Moser has drastically improved over the last 4 seasons. People going back 12 years is a bit ridiculous. The high school seniors were just starting kindergarten then. Lol. He has improved as a coach and continues to develop. If we end up with Moser, then I’ll support him. He isn’t Archie Miller. I think that comparison is lazy and false. Would I rather of Eric Musselman? Yes. But I’ll support whoever the next coach without judging W/L’s for the first 3 years. Year 4 is decision time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Well I spoke to a couple of players. They are being kept in the dark. They know nothing. One was pretty upset with whats going on and how things were handled. He said the media found out before Dolson told them that Archie was fired. Not going to say who they were and I'm just going to end it here before i say some bad stuff.

One of the rumors on another site was that Coach Miller was telling players he was gone well before anything came out?  Someone had to leak the media, and usually it comes from the camp of the person who was let go.  

Anyhow, when dealing with teenagers there is emotion when something like this happens.  They are kids and this isn't the pros where they understand buisness decisons yet.  They feel it and the rollercoaster of social media probably doesn't help and the wait time for sure doesn't help.

7 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

Why in God's name is anyone on this board defending Sampson's time at IU?

You have to be kidding me.

Exactly.  Look at the things Armaan Bassett was charged with after leaving IU.  That was a culture that went well beyond smoking pot.  People defending Sampson, or saying it was just texts, simply dont understand the scope of the issue.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly.  Look at the things Armaan Bassett was charged with after leaving IU.  That was a culture that went well beyond smoking pot.  People defending Sampson, or saying it was just texts, simply dont understand the scope of the issue.

You are 100% correct.  People falsely think we endured a team of walk-ons in Crean's first year because of self imposed, or NCAA sanctions.

That team was a house of cards with dozens of off the court issues.  A light fart would have blown it down. 

• Like 2

I'm starting to think the $10M buyout was completed just because of Archie needing to go. Not because they had anyone in place. Guess I didn't realize the depths of anti-Archie sentiment that was out there.

Hopefully we'll be able to discuss a new coach in next week. I'm actually starting to get nervous about who we might end up with which means it's going to be a rebuild time again if we go the former IU player route.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm starting to think the $10M buyout was completed just because of Archie needing to go. Not because they had anyone in place. Guess I didn't realize the depths of anti-Archie sentiment that was out there.

Hopefully we'll be able to discuss a new coach in next week. I'm actually starting to get nervous about who we might end up with which means it's going to be a rebuild time again if we go the former IU player route.

I think so too. I think Scott saw the program in neutral and not attracting kids nationally based on Archie’s offense.   I think the ultimate tipping point was the free agency off-season - any new coach can accelerate a rebuild by August.    

Muss, Drew/Altman (if they go there), and Oats are still coaching.  I personally think the target is Muss.  

Still wonder if Beilien is an ultimate fall-back option. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No matter who we hire it is going to be rebuild. New coach, new direction, new players, new offense and defense. New expectations, new culture. So even if we get Stevens or Keady, it's all new and a rebuild. 

1 minute ago, jojo123 said:

No matter who we hire it is going to be rebuild. New coach, new direction, new players, new offense and defense. New expectations, new culture. So even if we get Stevens or Keady, it's all new and a rebuild. 

Understand. I meant the type of rebuild....and I think there is a big difference between what Muss or any of the other A list candidates could do....vs what Lewis, Cheaney, Fife,etc...could do.

Right guy we could be like Arkansas and have a chance to play for Final 4 in 2 years.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hoosier98 said:

Might have been Scott but he’s not a 3. I’m just saying he is not a 3 because he can’t shoot. He was destined to fail because of how he was coached. No wonder he was so mad. 

Correct me, but when I watch Arkansas, Smith doesn't seem to be doing anything different than what he did at IU. He still can't shoot, but the offense they run gives him many more opportunities to  use his talents because defenses don't have three guys in the lane .

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I think so too. I think Scott saw the program in neutral and not attracting kids nationally based on Archie’s offense.   I think the ultimate tipping point was the free agency off-season - any new coach can accelerate a rebuild by August.    

Muss, Drew/Altman (if they go there), and Oats are still coaching.  I personally think the target is Muss.  

Still wonder if Beilien is an ultimate fall-back option. 

If I could freely choose it would be Oats but feel no chance we are gonna pay his buyout. Regardless of who gets it though they will have my full support.

Edited by Ferg 32
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Ok so I’m not for Moser or against Moser I’m just along for the ride honestly. With that being said people keep mentioning two tourneys in 17 years. It’s been said that he changed his philosophy 4 years ago and that’s what brought him success. So let me ask this question. If I’m fat for 13 years and I try things to lose weight but I’m still fat and then I change my habits and now for the last 4 years I lose all the weight and become skinny and I know if I keep this same philosophy are people going to say well you were only skinny for 4 years and fat for 13 so you’re still fat? No they are going to say what did you do you look great. So instead of Judging Moser for his career look at him since he made his change. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🙈🕺

One thing though that was pointed out in the Moser coach thread is how much of his recent success is credited to having a skilled big like Krutwig. Will he be able to continue his recent run without him. Looking at his overall career indicates probably not.

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

One of the rumors on another site was that Coach Miller was telling players he was gone well before anything came out?  Someone had to leak the media, and usually it comes from the camp of the person who was let go.  

Anyhow, when dealing with teenagers there is emotion when something like this happens.  They are kids and this isn't the pros where they understand buisness decisons yet.  They feel it and the rollercoaster of social media probably doesn't help and the wait time for sure doesn't help.

Agree. Social media is all over the place.  Two things:

If a discussion occurred between CAM and AD Dolson regarding CAM's termination, then time allowed for a team meeting prior to the IU announcement later in the day, and someone in the party of the few who knew leaked it to the media prior to that team meeting, shame on the person who leaked it.  There has to be some integrity left in people to allow for a proper dissemination of info.  If it was CAM himself, shame on him.  But who knows who it was?  Someone knows.  And if the other rumor of CAM telling players he was gone before anything came out is true, and I doubt it, then also shame on him.  As a coach and a leader, it's his job to keep his players focused on the task at hand. (Again, to be clear, I doubt that happened but who knows?) No wonder Dolson is keeping a tight lid on all of it, as he should. (Especially after the last coaching hire decision with all of the rumors, as well as the improved speed and communication level of the internet, iphones, sports boards, twitter, etc.)

The players are young, emotions are definitely tied to this, their playing future is undetermined at the moment, and I'm sure they are frustrated.  But maybe going through something like this could serve as an opportunity to build resilience, hone patience skills, and serve as a life lesson that often times decisions aren't made with the push of a button and large decisions and change often require time. 

It's been a long week on a personal front, so maybe I just need more coffee.  I expect them to be frustrated but I also would expect a lot of personal growth for them from this.  And that's a good thing.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. I meant the type of rebuild....and I think there is a big difference between what Muss or any of the other A list candidates could do....vs what Lewis, Cheaney, Fife,etc...could do.

Right guy we could be like Arkansas and have a chance to play for Final 4 in 2 years.

I definitely don't want to be like Arkansas. I want to be like IU again and if that means a complete rebuild I am all in. 

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think they thought they had a 95% chance of landing Stevens.  Whether that was based on the size of the contract we were offering, or Brad was actually interested at some point, I think it was the classic home run swing where the ball went foul by a couple of feet.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I definitely don't want to be like Arkansas. I want to be like IU again and if that means a complete rebuild I am all in. 

Just curious what you don't like about Arkansas? I don't know their roster that well....but style of play and coaching looks good to the eye test.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Isn't that the purpose of coaching?  Structuring your approach around the strengths of your players?  Archie failed miserably there, whether it be having Smith on the perimeter or Romeo standing in the corner.

Bottom line is that Arkansas is in the Elite 8 and would not have been there if not for Justin Smith.  Props to Musselman to getting the best out of Justin, and to Justin himself for buying into it.

Can't disagree with that at all.

21 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Correct me, but when I watch Arkansas, Smith doesn't seem to be doing anything different than what he did at IU. He still can't shoot, but the offense they run gives him many more opportunities to  use his talents because defenses don't have three guys in the lane .

I got frustrated in a hurry as I tried to root for that guy again last night. Some of those switches, or lack thereof, they were giving me flashbacks. But he made the occasional play to keep me on his side.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

JaMarcus Ellis,Eli Holman,hell Bud Mackey...bad mix

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What about the way Arkansas plays do you not like?

Ok so let me point out a few things here. First Justin Smith. Many times I listened to Archie say just can be a great defensive stopper and rebounder and do a lot of good work scoring close to the basket, but yet constantly loafed down the floor and hovered around the three point line?   Archie was not wrong. The biggest change I see in Smith is attitude. How that happened one can debate? Maybe he arrived in Hogville and Musselman said this is going to be your roll and he accepted? Or maybe it was just Smith himself? Point can or should we give The Muss all the credit? I don't think the Hogs are fundamentally sound. When talent is weak in a year or not up to standards. A fundamentally sound team can still win and make the dance. That is what IU was built on and used to be taught in every grade school, Jr High and High School in the state of Indiana. I want someone who understands that and wants to bring that back and has the moxie  to get it done.  

14 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I got frustrated in a hurry as I tried to root for that guy again last night. Some of those switches, or lack thereof, they were giving me flashbacks. But he made the occasional play to keep me on his side.

You don't get ELEVEN offensive rebounds in a game without doing something right.  Sure, your teammates have to miss shots, but IU had plenty of those types of games this season and no one approached 11 offensive rebounds.

• Like 4