Potential replacement coaches

I swore when Archie as let go that I wouldn’t get too locked in on any one candidate so that I wouldn’t be disappointed if he didn’t get the job. I feel myself trending toward that place with Musselman though. I swear he makes so much sense and is so obvious. That kind of has me scared that it won’t happen. I’m still on board whoever we hire, but for once it would be neat if it was the guy I was pulling for. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

My predictions:

Texas - Beard

IU - Beilein

I want Musselman or Oats.  I can live with Beilein.  I’m terrified it’s Moser. He’s not even a Paul Mills.  At least Mills is ascending and his team had a well thought out game.  Moser literally got upset yesterday in dismal fashion.  I’d take Fife or even Woodson over Moser and I don’t want them either.   

If it’s indeed Moser, say a prayer for the Mods because these boards will be explosive immediately if he doesn’t win right way.  Gotta go in and beat Purdue next year in a must win, etc.  The Moser defenders will always be there and they will need to be right post haste.  Muss or Oats on the other hand would get a honeymoon.  

You hire a Moser and you’re confirming you are a nobody program. 

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I want Musselman or Oats.  I can live with Beilein.  I’m terrified it’s Moser. He’s not even a Paul Mills.  At least Mills is ascending and his team had a well thought out game.  Moser literally got upset yesterday in dismal fashion.  I’d take Fife or even Woodson over Moser and I don’t want them either.   

If it’s indeed Moser, say a prayer for the Mods because these boards will be explosive immediately if he doesn’t win right way.  Gotta go in and beat Purdue next year in a must win, etc.  The Moser defenders will always be there and they will need to be right post haste.  Muss or Oats on the other hand would get a honeymoon.  

Also Moser just screams Archie 2.0. We don't need that, we need someone that is going to inject excitement back into IU basketball and I don't think he is it.

All of the sports program at IU are exceling right now and have tons of excitement except the one it is known for, IUMBB.

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree with your post completely. I just don't think Moser is a serious candidate. I think it is a case of some of that national media looking for a story and grasping at straws. If Dolson hired Moser and it went badly, Dolson might be joining him out the door, and he would deserve it if he hired another risky mid major over someone like Muss, Drew, or Beard. Moser does not check the boxes that Dolson stated in his press conference regarding what he is looking for in new coach. I think Moser is just the "flavor of the day" with the IU coaching search.

14 minutes ago, rd726 said:

I’m SURE ready for this to be done. 

I really hope if it’s not the Home Run we all want, it’s at LEAST an easy triple. 

If it's not Stevens or Donovan, I can pretty much guarantee the following:

- Some will be happy

- Some will be disappointed

- Few will regard it as a "grand slam"

- In making the announcement we will be told "we got our guy" and "he is the one we wanted from the very start"

These will happen regardless of who is the new coach.

28 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I agree with your post completely. I just don't think Moser is a serious candidate. I think it is a case of some of that national media looking for a story and grasping at straws. If Dolson hired Moser and it went badly, Dolson might be joining him out the door, and he would deserve it if he hired another risky mid major over someone like Muss, Drew, or Beard. Moser does not check the boxes that Dolson stated in his press conference regarding what he is looking for in new coach. I think Moser is just the "flavor of the day" with the IU coaching search.

Meh

34 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Great post. I am clinging to hope on what Dolson said in the P.C. regarding creative offense etc.   I will be right there with Dakich if we hire this guy.  Any excuses anybody wants to offer up for his offense could just as easily be applied to Archie.  “Guys didn’t hit shots” etc.   I can’t see this type of hire being worth $10 M for the donor.  

42 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Moser would be very, very depressing. It would cause me to be as apathetic about IUBB as I’ve ever been. 

1 hour ago, HoosierMama said:

Hopefully Leal can turn into that for us.  I’d happily take another as well!!

I haven't given up on Phinisee either.  Dane Fife was not the best shooter his first few years at Indiana but he turned into a capable scorer towards the end of his career.  He attributed a bit of it to just not knowing how he fit in the offense but he got it turned around.

Thought his was funny from a few years ago too:

Click and read through that.  Lol.  Dane might be a fun guy to have here.

Anyways, I think that if you get the majority to stay and then get a transfer or 2 (I think we should have 3? open scholarships right now) then you could have a solid team.

I think Geronimo, Race, Stewart, and Durham are the most likely losses.  So assuming that, you have Phin, Franklin, Leal as available guards at the moment.  Hunter, Galloway as SF.  TJD as PF, and Brunk/Duncomb(?) as your centers.  You can get a decent starting 5 out of that group but you could also convince some guys in the transfer portal that there are spots available to compete for.

I don't know, just seems like Miller left some pieces for the next guy to work with.  The more of then we keep, the better off we are IMO.

16 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

If it's not Stevens or Donovan, I can pretty much guarantee the following:

- Some will be happy

- Some will be disappointed

- Few will regard it as a "grand slam"

- In making the announcement we will be told "we got our guy" and "he is the one we wanted from the very start"

These will happen regardless of who is the new coach.

I agree with your premise but I think an overwhelming majority will be satisfied with Muss or Oats, even if they preferred someone else like Alford.  I think Moser will be explosive if he doesn’t keep the roster intact, recruit really well, and win in year one. I don’t think this will be like Crean’s first year where the fan base gave a strong signal of support even though they couldn’t win. 

I haven’t really studied Dana Altman much at all. He’s always been out of sight, out of mind to me.  I don’t know what O or D he runs. I just haven’t really ever focused on him. But he’s got a good record and is well regarded.  We heard good things about him at Creighton and he’s done well with Oregon.  He’d had players like Pritchard who I really like.

If he’s strongly interested as has been reported, and Beilein is interested, there’s no reason to go below that tier of a coach right now.  I mean we should be able to win starting next year.  

As I’ve said before, no one is getting younger.  Life is short.  I am done writing off whole seasons as a rebuild.  Not when good coaches adjust year by year to their circumstances.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If Chronic is right, I don’t feel good about where this is headed.  Unless Beilein. 

If it's Beilein we're done.  

There was some Jay Wright smoke yesterday.  If Dolson pulls that off we can commission his statue outside SSAH right now.

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If Chronic is right, I don’t feel good about where this is headed.  Unless Beilein. 

Yeah, would be odd timing. Moser would be an odd pick, and anyone else would make you wonder why it happened now, and not earlier 

Archived