Potential replacement coaches

5 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Hope after everyone gets there emotional negativity out that we can all get behind the new coach and give him the same chance that Crean and Miller got. 

I'll support him, because he is the IU coach, but it's not going to change my thinking about his hire.

• Like 1

Go get Lewis on staff, and I'll be fine with this.

We will know real quick how this is going to work out. I have no doubt Woodson can coach. But it's running an entire program, recruiting, etc that will be interesting. If we start landing top talent right away, I'll be optimistic.

Woodson may have made a LOT of connections over the years.

• Like 1

Let’s talk about checking those boxes...

-Scored over 2000 points in his college career. Clearly knows how to play at a high level. No other coach we were pursuing had nearly the playing career.

- Picked 12th in the first round of the NBA draft, so he knows what it takes to get to the league. No other coach we were pursuing were drafted in the first round. Not sure any of them played in the league.

- Scored over 10,000 points in the NBA so he knows what it takes to not only get to the league but also how to play well there. No one else we were pursuing can say that.

- Coached at the highest level of basketball in the world. Improved both teams while there. Only Bielien of who we were pursuing coached at that level, and he self destructed.

- Has not coached at the college level. Will need good assistants to recruit. Hopefully, Hunter stays on, and they bring in someone like Fife who knows recruiting the Midwest. 

- He has never won an NCAA National Championship. Other than Wright, who was a pipe dream at best, neither has any of the other candidates we were pursuing.

I think Woodson checks off plenty of the boxes. Enough, imo to think that he can be successful here. None of the other candidates have first hand knowledge of what IU basketball means to this state, this fan base. Beard was maybe the closest.

Agree with @BGleas... people will never be satisfied.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What exactly happened with Stevens? Can you set the record straight?

Pretty much what has already been stated. Every indication was he was going to be the next iu coach. Just about everybody close to the program said it was as good as done but nothing was final and this was stated before Archie was even fired and was the reason for the buyout. Seems that nobody really knows what happened after that point but here we are. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What exactly happened with Stevens? Can you set the record straight?

They made a great offer he considered it but didn’t take because his family loves living in Boston, his son is a freshman this year and doesn’t want to remove him from that high school experience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bustinchops said:

Pretty much what has already been stated. Every indication was he was going to be the next iu coach. Just about everybody close to the program said it was as good as done but nothing was final and this was stated before Archie was even fired and was the reason for the buyout. Seems that nobody really knows what happened after that point but here we are. 

Great go allow all this fantasy with other coaches to occur instead of naming him immediately...setting him up for even WORSE of a fanbase reaction then if you would’ve just hired him.

This was the worst handled hire I’ve ever seen. Literally made it worse in how they did it.

• Like 1

This coaching search clearly shows they were only interested in pleasing the old IU contingent once Stevens was out of the picture. A 63 year old average NBA coach that has no experience at the college level other then playing and they think he will bring us back, it has me shaking my head.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Great go allow all this fantasy with other coaches to occur instead of naming him immediately...setting him up for even WORSE of a fanbase reaction then if you would’ve just hired him.

This was the worst handled hire I’ve ever seen. Literally made it worse in how they did it.

I don't disagree. This seemed to be too high of a task for a rookie AD.

As one person stated IU is going to IU! So underwhelming of a hire. I am glad all the alumni and former players are happy that theygot their IU guy. I will hope for the best and really do hope it works out but I am unfortunately going to prepare for the worst. I will say though the Thad Matta on staff as Ast AD makes a whole lot of sense. So it looks like we are going to go thr route of Michigan. Now it's time to surround Woodson with a star studed staff that can  help with recruiting and hopefully player development as well. 

• Like 1