Potential replacement coaches

17 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Someone help me understand this… So our athletic Director is hiring someone to do his job leading the basketball program because he’s so inapt at doing it? What in the world is going on??? Are we trying to set a whole new bar for a cluster of a basketball program?

This reminds me of a bunch of neighborhood kids dumpster diving at the local construction site to build a treehouse.

You are literally complaining about a chess move in adding a guy that was trajecting to hall of fame coaching status before health issues?  He doesn't count against ncaa staff requirements.  Smh 

What are we talking?

The ones that predicted all this negativity going down after being fed to believe that Stevens was a done deal was going to be a let down no matter what.  But complaining about building an NBA like organization from within?  Illogical nonsense

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

The Purdue and Kentucky fans are doing back flips today.  That says a lot.

The fact that Purdue constantly fails in the tournament and never sniffs a final four is what they should be thinking about. Painter has good regular season success but is never a threat to win it all, at least with Coach Woodson there is the unknown.

Also Kentucky missed the tournament and look to be on a slide with Calipari, especially with possible changes to the one and done rules it could get ugly there soon.

Woodson brings a ton of experience.  So what if he is 63. Isn't it hard to land a coach who will last for 20+ years. I don't that as a hiring factor anymore. And if he doesn't work out maybe Matta gets his back right enough to take over. 

Some Woodson history for his resume:

• He has played for Red Holtzman, Hubie Brown, and Rick Pitino in the NBA. 
  • He has been an assistant for Doc rivers, Thibs, Chris ford, and Larry Brown (Pistons title year in 04) and D'Antoni. 
  • He took the Hawks from being a doormat to playoff team.  If it wasn't for his 1st 2 years in Atlanta, he'd have a winning .pct in the NBA
  • He took over for D'Antoni and did a fine job in NY coaching and Carmelo anthony. The only NY coach since the Ewing era who had any kind of success until Thibs arrived this year.  Oh, Woodson is/was on that staff. 

Maybe Woodson is not an elite or special coach but he is far far far from being inept or being a disastrous hire.  I don't think X's and O's will be an issue for him.  He has experience with a lot of different styles from Red Holtzman to Mike D'Antoni. He also has Thad Matta to train him up on our favorite system, the Pack-line. 

Edited by ATX_sig
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ones that are most vocal against this hire are also the ones that were most vocal of getting rid of Archie. Like a less than perfect scenario couldn’t have played out for a new coach. Grass is greener eh?

Edit: not the most excited for the hire, but unlike some, I will wait to see some games played first. 

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 4

On 3/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, ATX_sig said:

Woodson brings a ton of experience.  So what if he is 63. Isn't it hard to land a coach who will last for 20+ years. I don't that as a hiring factor anymore. And if he doesn't work out maybe Matta gets his back right enough to take over. 

Some Woodson history for his resume:

• He has played for Red Holtzman, Hubie Brown, and Rick Pitino in the NBA. 
  • He has been an assistant for Doc rivers, Thibs, Chris ford, and Larry Brown (Pistons title year in 04) and D'Antoni. 
  • He took the Hawks from being a doormat to playoff team.  If it wasn't for his 1st 2 years in Atlanta, he'd have a winning .pct in the NBA
  • He took over for D'Antoni and did a fine job in NY coaching and Carmelo anthony. The only NY coach since the Ewing era who had any kind of success until Thibs arrived this year.  Oh, Woodson is/was on that staff. 

Maybe Woodson is not an elite or special coach but he is far far far from being inept or being a disastrous hire.  I don't think X's and O's will be an issue for him.  He has experience with a lot of different styles from Red Holtzman to Mike D'Antoni. He also has Thad Matta to train him up on our favorite system, the Pack-line. 

Great post.  I know you didn’t mean to be exhaustive but I will add that he mentioned Cotton Fitzsimmons as a coach who influenced him too.  My recollection is that Knight and Fitzsimmons had a good relationship too.   

On 3/30/2021 at 4:20 PM, ledies22 said:

The ones that are most vocal against this hire are also the ones that were most vocal of getting rid of Archie. Like a less than perfect scenario couldn’t have played out for a new coach. Grass is greener eh?

Edit: not the most excited for the hire, but unlike some, I will wait to see some games played first. 

This is the correct way to look at this.  Also, you really can't complain about was CMW has done so far.

• Like 1