Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He seems to want to stick it to IU and to hope we can’t get anyone reasonably prominent.  

Let’s put it this way.  I listen to podcasts as I have a commute in a big city.  I also love college basketball.  If it’s July or August and he puts out a podcast on college hoops, I am literally his target audience.  Don’t alienate me, I’ve literally never done anything to you.  Titus called you names, not me.  Now, go from me to the rest of our fan base.  We have one of the largest fan bases and we are spread out across the country.  I mean, you’re in SW Fla and you’re not even retired!  You’re young.   The Indiana fan base should not be alienated by anyone who makes a living literally from clicks by college basketball fans.  Surely, his bosses understand business and the idiocy of taking it that way.  

One of Goodman’s themes has been “you have to be a bleeping idiot to think Stevens would leave Boston for IU.”  It’s unprofessional.  He’s a journalist not a message board poster.  He can just as easily say “all indications are that Brad is not leaving Boston under any circumstance.”  One is inflammatory and the other is professional.  Jeff would probably say, “I’m just stirring it up, not writing about children at the border.”  Fine, you are, but you can still calibrate at levels that don’t alienate one of the largest fan bases in your audience.  

I live in SW Fl and never heard of him. And I never will listen to him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, sorry, that's not comparable. 

After his first year at Tech, Beard went E8, Runner Up, Cancelled Tournament, and playing to go to the S16 tomorrow. He even won a game in the tournament his one year at ALR. 

Look, I like Archie and think he'll be a good coach somewhere. But at this point there is no reasonable comparison to be made. 

I only compared this year for Beard to last year for Archie (which I laid out the facts for), not the overall record...I highlighted that because it didn't fit my definition of Hone Run hire...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUskim said:

I think I’m in the Muss bus camp. Admittedly I haven’t watched many of his games I did watch it yesterday and loved his tempo and switching the defense to a press when he got down. They also played good defense. I have watched quite a few of Texas tech games I’m not sure why. I guess because ESPN plays a lot of big 12 but while beard teams play hard fantastic defense force a lot turnovers the offensive struggled to score a lot. Which surprised me his offensive rating is a high as it is. My only worry with the muss bus is if he relies sorely on transfers I’m not sure I would want that approach. Maybe for his first year but I would hope he would realize if he comes here the talent pool he has in state to recruit from. That said you can’t go wrong with either. I hope. 

If muss relies on transfers - this is probably the year to hire him.   But every candidate comes with risk like you all mentioned... would Muss leave for NBA?  Would Beard take Texas job if Shaka went sideways again?  

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I only compared this year for Beard to last year for Archie (which I laid out the facts for), not the overall record...I highlighted that because it didn't fit my definition of Hone Run hire...

Get your point but it’s like using a hot chick with an average nose to an ugly chick with a perfect nose. Yea...she’s got a nice nose...I don’t care

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

Get your point but it’s like using a hot chick with an average nose to an ugly chick with a perfect nose. Yea...she’s got a nice nose...I don’t care

Now I’m lost lol....if I’m suppose to be looking at women’s noses I’m literally looking at the wrong body parts lol.

24 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Pointless discussion because football didn’t have any options BUT to hope to strike gold.

Sure we did...We could have went the Kansas/Les Miles, or Charlie Weis route...We could have picked from a group of mid major candidates, or hot assistants ( @5fouls!) or any of a myriad of choices and struck out...

But we gave a guy a chance...And I ain't calling it a home run yet but it's going, going....

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Now I’m lost lol....if I’m suppose to be looking at women’s noses I’m literally looking at the wrong body parts lol.

RoTFLMAO!

My point was Beard has a complete face, Archie has a nice nose...fine...he has a nice nose...who cares lol

wait...BadgerVol...you got a thing for noses on people??

On women? Yea... 😈

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

If muss relies on transfers - this is probably the year to hire him.   But every candidate comes with risk like you all mentioned... would Muss leave for NBA?  Would Beard take Texas job if Shaka went sideways again?  

I wouldn’t worry about that stuff. If they got IU winning it would be tough for anyone to leave that. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sure we did...We could have went the Kansas/Les Miles, or Charlie Weis route...We could have picked from a group of mid major candidates, or hot assistants ( @5fouls!) or any of a myriad of choices and struck out...

But we gave a guy a chance...And I ain't calling it a home run yet but it's going, going....

If you’re gonna take Weis you deserve to suck. 

And IU football would NEVER land Miles.

Edited by BADGERVOL
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This year, a down year for Beard, he is a 6 seed that is playing to go to the Sweet 16. Last year, Archie was on the right side of the bubble and looking at a 10 or 11 seed. The fact that the best comparison you have is THAT shows how off base your argument is. 

• Like 3

IU was 34th in KenPom last year, Texas Tech is 16th this year. How can you honestly argue with a straight face the seasons are comparable? 

EDIT: And the reason, @IUFLA I'm going at you hard on this and will continue to do so, is because you always say you have no problem with people disagreeing with you as long as they aren't making disingenuous arguments, but right now your arguments are every bit as disingenuous as those who pretend Archie wouldn't have made the tournament last year. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Point being, we had other options...And boy did we luck out...

That makes no sense?? You’re saying IU should stop going after good resumes and try a bad one...

And the football compares in WHAT way? They didn’t have a shot at any good resumes and had to take a choice between many BAD resumes. Lol WTF?!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I used to listen to him because he had a good handle on the full landscape of college hoops.  He literally broke the news that ISU was moving on from Greg Lansing to show you how deep in he is.

But imagine  how inappropriate he’s been for literally the sports editor at the Star (Osterman’s boss) to call him out.  I unsubscribed to him now.   He can go on and be wildly successful, but without me.  It’s not that I’m thin skinned.  Far from it.  He’s being a prick and douche to IU fans.  

Besides, I never heard a single person ever say that Brad was anything but a long shot until the past couple of days when there was the talk.  Yes, the fan base went berserk.  But to me that illustrates the incredible untapped enthusiasm that’s in our fan base.  It hasn’t been unleashed much for 20 years.  So people forget.  But the state of Indiana and IU alumni were bred on basketball.  It’s part of life here.  And you got a glimpse of Indiana’s enthusiasm and passion for basketball the past couple of days.  It is spring loaded and waiting to benefit the right steward of the program.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This year, a down year for Beard, he is a 6 seed that is playing to go to the Sweet 16. Last year, Archie was on the right side of the bubble and looking at a 10 or 11 seed. The fact that the best comparison you have is THAT shows how off base your argument is. 

Dude, come on...I am NOT comparing Archie's overall record to Beard's...I took what was a valid comparison of 2 years to demonstrate why I didn't think Beard was a home run hire...That's it...nothing more...

He had 1 really good, and one great year...I'm not touting him for the Mt Rushmore of college coaching just yet...

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

That makes no sense?? You’re saying IU should stop going after good resumes and try a bad one...

And the football compares in WHAT way? They didn’t have a shot at any good resumes and had to take a choice between many BAD resumes. Lol WTF?!

You don't think we could have landed a good mid major coach or a high major assistant rather than Tom Allen if we'd wanted to?

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Dude, come on...I am NOT comparing Archie's overall record to Beard's...I took what was a valid comparison of 2 years to demonstrate why I didn't think Beard was a home run hire...That's it...nothing more...

He had 1 really good, and one great year...I'm not touting him for the Mt Rushmore of college coaching just yet...

No one else is doing that, either, but you're being just as intentionally dishonest as all the people you railed against. It's a bad look.

He would be average 25 wins/year over the last 4 if not for Covid, and possibly making the second weekend of the tournament every year there was a tournament in there. No one is saying he belongs on Mt. Rushmore, but that's a massive upgrade in results and when you transfer it to IU he could certainly win titles here.

• Like 1

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

You’re all over the place...

No, I'm not at all...I guess you're finding it difficult to follow, but I'm trying to explain...

I asked why if we took a chance on Tom Allen, wouldn't we take a chance with the basketball hire?

@IU Scottpoints out all the time that Dean Smith had no head coaching experience when UNC hired him...Roy Williams had no experience as the head guy when Kansas hired him...Hell, Juwan Howard didn't have any head coaching experience when Michigan hired him, and how's that turning out? He was a Michigan guy all the way...And it's paid off...

Youi keep talking about "bad resumes." I mentioned Calbert Cheaney...His playing record aside, he has been IU's Director of Basketball operations, been an assistant coach in the NBA, and he has a name in Indiana...And he's a dedicated Indiana University guy...

Beard, Musselman and Drew are not sure fire home run hires...Musselman especially concerns me because he's been at a P6 school for 1 friggin year, and suddenly, he's at the top of our list...These guys come and go...a couple of years ago it was Rick Barnes...I'd like to see somebody here for the long term, and if it takes a gamble to do that, so be it...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Wasn't Tom Allen a high-major assistant? 

At Ole Miss he was the LBs coach for 2 years...And he was of course an assistant at Indiana...

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No one else is doing that, either, but you're being just as intentionally dishonest as all the people you railed against. It's a bad look.

He would be average 25 wins/year over the last 4 if not for Covid, and possibly making the second weekend of the tournament every year there was a tournament in there. No one is saying he belongs on Mt. Rushmore, but that's a massive upgrade in results and when you transfer it to IU he could certainly win titles here.

How am I being dishonest? MY OPINION is that he's not a home run hire...If yours opinion is different, then that's fine...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

At Ole Miss he was the LBs coach for 2 years...And he was of course an assistant at Indiana...

How am I being dishonest? MY OPINION is that he's not a home run hire...If yours opinion is different, then that's fine...

Your opinion isn't the dishonest part, it's the statistics you're citing. It's as dishonest about the reality of what you're saying as people saying Archie missed the tournament every year at IU. 

At least the people saying Archie missed the tournament every year are technically right, you're trying to pass off a 6 seed and an 11 seed as comparable seasons. Come on, man. 

I didn't see what started the conversation, so I might have missed parts of it, but a couple differences between hiring Allen and hiring an assistant basketball coach to be head coach.

In football, assistants have 10x the responsibility as what most assistants in basketball have.  Much easier to see in football when an assistant will be a good head coach.

With Allen, we also had him on staff for a season, so we could see what we had.  Extremely hard/impossible to see that from an outside perspective.  Sure, people knew he did a great job as a DC, but nobody from the outside would have known his personality like we would have.  We don't have anybody on the basketball staff to step in like that.

I don't have any inside info on it, but I would bet a lot of money that a big part of the reason Wilson was let go was because we knew what we had in Allen and thought we were going to lose him.

• Like 4