Potential replacement coaches

Just now, jojo123 said:

the verdict is still out on MIchigan for me most of the players were there when he arrived. lets talk in 4 years.

I’ve been preaching this for a while.  Howard is winning with Beiliens (sp?) players and culture.  Can he sustain it? That’s the part that remains to be seen.  Anyone remember Mike Davis doing basically the same thing????

• Like 7

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Highly doubtful, he loves NBA, but I’d be ok with it.  For one it would hush up the Indiana crowd.  If it’s him he needs to have a strong supporting cast on the bench.  Like Lewis, Fife, Guyton, Woodson, or Wittman.  Any of those guys would help and a guy like Phil Martelli wouldn’t hurt either.  

I agree completely. It will definitely be interesting if more leaks come out today... ill be on a plane for hours... currently bored in Vegas airport

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve been preaching this for a while.  Howard is winning with Beiliens (sp?) players and culture.  Can he sustain it? That’s the part that remains to be seen.  Anyone remember Mike Davis doing basically the same thing????

Very true I think Howard is a very recognizable name and can say I know how to get you to the league successfully so that’s the difference between him and Davis IMO

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Davis got lucky for 2 weeks. The team got hot. They finished 19-10, 11-5 in the B10 and were a 5th seed I think making a run to the title game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Correct.  But, it was Rick Pitino's horse and the horse's name was Brad Stevens.  

My source didn't stick around to ask questions, but the horse's mane was long and blonde. So it being Rick Pitinos horse could be true.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Davis got lucky for 2 weeks. The team got hot. They finished 19-10, 11-5 in the B10 and were a 5th seed I think making a run to the title game.

Got lucky or did the team respond to something he did? I don’t know and I’m not sure any of us know.  I’m not saying Davis was a good coach at all, all I’m saying is the verdict is still out on Howard.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Perhaps, but Mike got something out of those kids RMK couldn't.

Several never got to play under Knight...I think the only thing for certain was he was the right coach at the time for THOSE kids. I didn’t see anything Davis did that was special. Not the x and os. The biggest thing was he took the pressure off them. Those kids played for him because they loved their coach and they loved each other and IU. Special group of leaders and heady ballers. Tough as nails...IU may have never had a team so mentally tough and down right scrappy. It was a special group of kids that Knight put together. Who knows how it would have changed under Knight...but that was his last great team...what he instilled in the veterans was key to their long term success...but kids like Jeffries and other young ones never were coached by him. Not sure it could have turned out any better...unless Hastons had come back to play one more year. If Knight was there would he?? The eternal what if’s lol. I’d just go with it was a special run by those players. They excelled under the situation they were in.

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1