Potential replacement coaches

I always assumed Bennett would never come to IU based on his sister getting fired as women's coach. Maybe enough time has passed? He was my number 1 choice (after the Donovan fiasco) last time and I am shocked IU fans would be upset by this choice if it happens. I get it...his style isn't the most exciting, but he wins wherever he goes. If it is Bennett, I don't see us missing the tourney hardly ever, many sweet sixteens and a couple final fours and perhaps national championship in the next decade plus. Not to mention conference championships. He is a home run hire in my book...I hope these rumors are correct, but I am tempering my expectations until it is official.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Heard an announcement could be Wednesday and that we would be, "very happy"

Bennett is the name that I keep hearing.

Not saying you're wrong, but I can't see this after Dolson been talking about "cutting edge" offense.

I don't think there's any chance Bennett comes but the offense he runs is different than Archie's. They're consistently a top 15 offensive efficiency team. If you watched them this year, they played a lot of 5 out offenses. They're really slow but it's not the crowded mess that Archie runs. They are always very good shooting teams and a high percentage of their shots come from 3. It's not a modern offense in terms of pace but it is in terms of shot selection. 

As much as this might be crazy to say about a coach that just won a national title a few years ago, I don’t think I’d want Bennett even if he wanted to come.  We just experienced the homeless man’s version of Bennett for the last four years, and it was absolutely excruciating.  He’s won a lot in the ACC, and finally broke through and won that title, but that style of play just totally sucks to watch and really isn’t very well suited to winning in the tournament consistently.  Virginia just choked against a 13 seed in the first round again, failing to score 60 points.  Give me someone less accomplished who runs an offense that won’t make my eyes bleed.

What’s that whole saying about beggars and choosers? 😆 

For the record, I’m happy with:

Bennet
Beillein
Muss
Beard
Drew
Matta
Oates

Sure we can nitpick something about these guys, but come on, each have pretty darn impressive resumes and would no doubt be an upgrade over what we had. Especially Beilein and Matta. Other than age or health (which will no doubt be heavily vetted by Dolson) these guys check almost all the boxes - I just can’t understand the criticism being throw out there by some. Between the two of them they have 13 sweet sixteens and 4 final fours, succeeded in the B1G and can recruit the Midwest. 

I can't see Bennett leaving UVA unless IU is his dream job. He turned down a pay raise after they won the championship, saying he has more than enough and he and his wife love being at UVA. Supposedly he was to get a longevity bonus of $1,000,000 on 21 March for still being the coach.

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Bennet
Beillein
Muss
Beard
Drew
Matta
Oates

Sure we can nitpick something about these guys, but come on, each have pretty darn impressive resumes and would no doubt be an upgrade over what we had. Especially Beilein and Matta. Other than age or health (which will no doubt be heavily vetted by Dolson) these guys check almost all the boxes - I just can’t understand the criticism being throw out there by some. Between the two of them they have 13 sweet sixteens and 4 final fours, succeeded in the B1G and can recruit the Midwest. 

A lot more people should adapt to this thinking. Not everyone is going to be happy with whomever ends up at the helm. I will be disappointed with some names that have been thrown out there, more so now post Stevens debacle, but i will wait to cast my judgement until results start rolling in.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I can't see Bennett leaving UVA unless IU is his dream job. He turned down a pay raise after they won the championship, saying he has more than enough and he and his wife love being at UVA. Supposedly he was to get a longevity bonus of $1,000,000 on 21 March for still being the coach.

I suspect you are correct, I have just noticed people saying they would not want him because of style and I think that is crazy. 

Virginia Cavaliers[122] (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2009–present)
2009–10 Virginia 15–16 5–11 T–9th  
2010–11 Virginia 16–15 7–9 T–7th  
2011–12 Virginia 22–10 9–7 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2012–13 Virginia 23–12 11–7 T–4th NIT Quarterfinal
2013–14 Virginia 30–7 16–2 1st NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2014–15 Virginia 30–4 16–2 1st NCAA Division I Round of 32
2015–16 Virginia 29–8 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2016–17 Virginia 23–11 11–7 T–5th NCAA Division I Round of 32
2017–18 Virginia 31–3 17–1 1st NCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19 Virginia 35–3 16–2 T–1st NCAA Division I Champion
2019–20 Virginia 23–7 15–5 T–2nd NCAA Division I Canceled
2020–21 Virginia 18–7 13–4 1st NCAA Division I Round of 64
Virginia: 295–103 (.741) 149–62 (.706)  

16 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Bennet
Beillein
Muss
Beard
Drew
Matta
Oates

totally with you here.  if we believe that a deal is almost done and could have an announcement Weds, then i think we're looking at:

Bennett

Beilien

Beard

Matta

Woodson

All good with me other than Woodson!

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:
Virginia Cavaliers[122] (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2009–present)
2009–10 Virginia 15–16 5–11 T–9th  
2010–11 Virginia 16–15 7–9 T–7th  
2011–12 Virginia 22–10 9–7 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2012–13 Virginia 23–12 11–7 T–4th NIT Quarterfinal
2013–14 Virginia 30–7 16–2 1st NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2014–15 Virginia 30–4 16–2 1st NCAA Division I Round of 32
2015–16 Virginia 29–8 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2016–17 Virginia 23–11 11–7 T–5th NCAA Division I Round of 32
2017–18 Virginia 31–3 17–1 1st NCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19 Virginia 35–3 16–2 T–1st NCAA Division I Champion
2019–20 Virginia 23–7 15–5 T–2nd NCAA Division I Canceled
2020–21 Virginia 18–7 13–4 1st NCAA Division I Round of 64
Virginia: 295–103 (.741) 149–62 (.706)  

So where did the Bennett stuff come from all of the sudden anyway?  It seems like we have just had someone who put up the IU wish list, throws a dart, and then starts pushing that guy for that day.  I think the Stevens stuff had legs but almost everything after that just seems to be wild speculation based on....?

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So where did the Bennett stuff come from all of the sudden anyway?  It seems like we have just had someone who put up the IU wish list, throws a dart, and then starts pushing that guy for that day.  I think the Stevens stuff had legs but almost everything after that just seems to be wild speculation based on....?

No idea. My point is that if it is Bennett he would be a home run hire. I think people are trying to connect dots on social media or rumors.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

If Stevens is 1A.. Bennett would be 1B for me. I don't really care what the offense looks like. 

People complain to much about style of play. Well Bennett’s offense isn’t fun they say but you know what else isn’t fun... that would be losing. Just WIN and Bennett does that a lot.

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

No idea. My point is that if it is Bennett he would be a home run hire. I think people are trying to connect dots on social media or rumors.

Yeah, and I did not mean somebody on this board is doing that.  Just that a Twitter person throws a dart and says "ohhhh boy, hearing some Matta chatter today.  Expect a presser Wednesday..."  Then 4 hours later, "Woodson has taken the lead...."

Honestly, what is happening is probably that Dolson was on the phone this weekend and every coach who has been reached out to tells someone, "Indiana called" and suddenly they are the guy.

5 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

There’s talk that Dolson has his man. There was a guy in the peegs chat last night that said this and that Dolson has don’t it right. Fans need to trust Dolson. He said it was a higher profile coach. So process of elimination is where the Bennett talk came from I would guess. Then a little later the Kendrick and Lander tweets came out. 

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, and I did not mean somebody on this board is doing that.  Just that a Twitter person throws a dart and says "ohhhh boy, hearing some Matta chatter today.  Expect a presser Wednesday..."  Then 4 hours later, "Woodson has taken the lead...."

Honestly, what is happening is probably that Dolson was on the phone this weekend and every coach who has been reached out to tells someone, "Indiana called" and suddenly they are the guy.

The rumor mill has definitely been a little out of control. There has been a "flavor of the day" each day, and in some cases two a day!  It seems Dolson is keeping this tight lipped which is good. Supposedly the guy who posted on twitter is connected and said it was a home run hire for Indiana, so speculation on who would be a home run hire (based on who would be available to be hired at this point).

Archived