Potential replacement coaches

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Tony Bennett has gotten his teams ranked in the top 6, at least once, in each of the past 8 years lol 

But nah... he plays slow sometimes. Pass 🤣

I don’t think anyone said he wasn’t a good coach but in my case I would prefer a little more up tempo offense and there isn’t anything wrong about feeling that way 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I don’t think anyone said he wasn’t a good coach but in my case I would prefer a little more up tempo offense and there isn’t anything wrong about feeling that way 

Why? No one's won at the clip he has, is still relevant, won a NC, is fairly young, and isn't scum. He checks every box. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hoosier8760 said:

The fact that there are people on here who legitimately say they wouldn't take Bennett is HILARIOUS

I think if you compared blind resumes, people would be putting Bennett near the top of their lists. It would certainly be an upgrade from Archie but his highs and lows with UVA I think warrants some fair criticism. 

• Like 1

I’m more interested in the combo of offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency.  I’d like to see solid numbers both ways.  Tempo is secondary to me.  I want to see sound, good basketball.  

I have no idea if Bennett is in play.  If I’m being honest I’d put that into the fanciful category but I’d love to be wrong.  He’s developed a lot of good players such as Brogdon, Joe Harris, Hunter, Guy, Jerome, Diakite et al.  So having good players hasn’t been a problem.  He’s winning at approaching a 75% clip.  I can’t explain some of the early flameouts in the tourney but maybe he can work on it.  The guy is at the top of the heap.  

• Like 1

Just now, Crimson324 said:

Crean lost half the fan base when he had a No 1 seed team get embarrassed in the S16 to a hall of fame coach. What do you think would happen if Bennet got bounced in the opening round to a No 16 seed? 

Well... he'd win a NC game the year after, so? I wouldn't care at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Crimson324 said:

Crean lost half the fan base when he had a No 1 seed team get embarrassed in the S16 to a hall of fame coach. What do you think would happen if Bennet got bounced in the opening round to a No 16 seed? 

I could live with that if he lead IU to a national championship within that 5 year period...and many Big Ten titles.

1 minute ago, Crimson324 said:

Bennett has the street cred that Tom Crean could only dream of.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crimson324 said:

Bennett won the ACC so many times and beat up on Duke and UNC.  Stop. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crimson324 said:

What if he literally wins the National championship the next year?  Instead of plunging into the abyss?  

He won the title extremely recently.   Glossing over that is bizarre to say the least.  

• Like 4

Just now, Hoosierdave said:

Rabjohns just posted a new coaching hot board with Beilein as the pic.

Maybe that’s the new coach? Lander was a Michigan fan and was recruited by Beilein. 

Maybe that dude considers it a “home run” since he’s a proven coach and not some mid major coach that’s the flavor of the day 

I wouldn't be upset. I wouldn't be excited either. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Maybe that’s the new coach? Lander was a Michigan fan and was recruited by Beilein. 

Maybe that dude considers it a “home run” since he’s a proven coach and not some mid major coach that’s the flavor of the day 

That’s been that way all day. Nothing has changed.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I wouldn't be wowed by Beilein hire, but I know I will be satisfied and believe IU men's basketball is in goods hands. In this case, Dolson would need to work on Beilein's successor in parallel. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't be upset. I wouldn't be excited either. 

Exactly where I am.  His later Michigan teams were well designed. He had an endless stream of long wings who were aggressive, but he also had a take charge point guard and big, strong guys in the post.  It was very good roster construction and he pushed the right buttons.  

On the other hand he is older, and how long will it take for everything to come together plus how long can he last?  That’s the flip side.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

National Championship 

3x NCOY 

4x CCOY 

74% winning % at UVA. 

Yep, some of our fanbase would pick apart God...

"Hair's too long and I just can't get over the sandals."

*Disclaimer: Not meant to offend atheists, agnostics, or anyone that perceives the physical traits of God differently" :) 

• Haha 7

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why? No one's won at the clip he has, is still relevant, won a NC, is fairly young, and isn't scum. He checks every box. 

Bennet would clearly be a home run, but I think there are legitimate questions about his March performances. Yes, he won a title, he's also frequently bounced by double digit seeds and the title run seems to be more of an outlier. 

That said, I'll be thrilled if we get him, he's just not my top guy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly where I am.  His later Michigan teams were well designed. He had an endless stream of long wings who were aggressive, but he also had a take charge point guard and big, strong guys in the post.  It was very good roster construction and he pushed the right buttons.  

On the other hand he is older, and how long will it take for everything to come together plus hoe long can he last?  That’s the flip side.   

With the transfer rules being what they along with the covid exception, I think whomever we bring can remake the roster and fill holes quickly.

• Like 3