Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Bennet would clearly be a home run, but I think there are legitimate questions about his March performances. Yes, he won a title, he's also frequently bounced by double digit seeds and the title run seems to be more of an outlier. 

That said, I'll be thrilled if we get him, he's just not my top guy.

Title runs will always be outliers unless you are Nick Saban. Knight had 3 in almost 30 years and that was during a time with less parity.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Bennet would clearly be a home run, but I think there are legitimate questions about his March performances. Yes, he won a title, he's also frequently bounced by double digit seeds and the title run seems to be more of an outlier. 

That said, I'll be thrilled if we get him, he's just not my top guy.

I guess idk who would be over him? 

I think its reasonable to believe he could take what he's done at UVA and up the ante here... and it wouldn't have to be much to be big time impressive. 

Here are my thoughts about Bennett as I've been one who has said I hate his style of play.

Most of the people who are talking about style of play are comparing him to coaches they think could have similar results.  Of course I'd take a slow paced Bennett team that wins 30 games over a fast paced team that wins 20.  If they are both going to win a similar number of games, give me the faster paced team every time.  I think Bennett ball is the most boring kind of basketball to watch, but I could live with it if we're winning a ton.

I don't think slow paced teams like Bennett's are set up well for the tournament.  He obviously has the one championship, but that took an insane amount of luck.  Props to them, because they were a really, really good team and had to make plays, but I don't see that year as being repeatable.  Outside of that one year, his teams are absolute garbage in the tournament compared to where they're seeded.

There's also a reason why the B1G has sucked consistently in the tournament for 2 decades.  A lot of the conference plays Bennett-lite.  I don't see that style being set up well for March.  Especially as the game continues to evolve into a perimeter based, up tempo style.  I just don't think it is set up well for future tournament success.  It is way too susceptible to a team getting hot from 3 for my liking.

Having said all that, with Bennett's resume, it would absolutely be a home run hire.  He wouldn't be near the top of my list, but it would definitely be a big time hire.

12 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Title runs will always be outliers unless you are Nick Saban. Knight had 3 in almost 30 years and that was during a time with less parity.

Winning a title, yes. Making deep runs in the tournament, no. 

Bennett plays a style that is more prone to getting upset, IMO. 

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Here are my thoughts about Bennett as I've been one who has said I hate his style of play.

Most of the people who are talking about style of play are comparing him to coaches they think could have similar results.  Of course I'd take a slow paced Bennett team that wins 30 games over a fast paced team that wins 20.  If they are both going to win a similar number of games, give me the faster paced team every time.  I think Bennett ball is the most boring kind of basketball to watch, but I could live with it if we're winning a ton.

I don't think slow paced teams like Bennett's are set up well for the tournament.  He obviously has the one championship, but that took an insane amount of luck.  Props to them, because they were a really, really good team and had to make plays, but I don't see that year as being repeatable.  Outside of that one year, his teams are absolute garbage in the tournament compared to where they're seeded.

There's also a reason why the B1G has sucked consistently in the tournament for 2 decades.  A lot of the conference plays Bennett-lite.  I don't see that style being set up well for March.  Especially as the game continues to evolve into a perimeter based, up tempo style.  I just don't think it is set up well for future tournament success.  It is way too susceptible to a team getting hot from 3 for my liking.

Having said all that, with Bennett's resume, it would absolutely be a home run hire.  He wouldn't be near the top of my list, but it would definitely be a big time hire.

I actually really disagree about it being set up for March. I think his style in March is perfect... add in a tick more talent offensively, that I suspect he would have at Indiana and we'd look like the good Michigan State teams. 

Tempo slows in March. I personally think the tempo and pace is crazy over blown. He plays ONLY that was because it's the ONLY chance he has against Duke, UNC, and UL. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I actually really disagree about it being set up for March. I think his style in March is perfect... add in a tick more talent offensively, that I suspect he would have at Indiana and we'd look like the good Michigan State teams. 

Tempo slows in March. I personally think the tempo and pace is crazy over blown. He plays ONLY that was because it's the ONLY chance he has against Duke, UNC, and UL. 🤷‍♂️

When I look around, I don't see UVA and teams that play similarly doing well consistently in March.

No doubt, he's done an insane job at UVA.  What he's accomplished and the teams he beats every year is incredible.  I just don't get why UVA and similar teams consistently underperform come tournament time.

Maybe that would go away if he came to IU and could get a little more talent.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

When I look around, I don't see UVA and teams that play similarly doing well consistently in March.

No doubt, he's done an insane job at UVA.  What he's accomplished and the teams he beats every year is incredible.  I just don't get why UVA and similar teams consistently underperform come tournament time.

Maybe that would go away if he came to IU and could get a little more talent.

This is what I think. Great coaching+resources+recruiting base+etc... 

Compare Crean, Miller, Davis, Sampson to Bennett? There is none. Hell and Crean still had us #1. 

Give Bennett those resources.. let's see what happens. I don't really know how many candidates are all that close. 🤷‍♂️ 

Idk why Beard, Musselman, Drew would be thought of before him? 

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Yep...so are you!🥳 Besides I’m enjoying one these Modelo’s and sport’n my IU shoes hoping for good news soon. Something tells me it will be awhile, which means more Modelos....Not bad.🤓

7B38860F-EBA7-4FAB-8B4B-BAB8F38D0051.jpeg

Where did you get those kicks?

I gotta have a pair of those!

Last point: 

coaches should constantly self-reflect on their teams overall performance and their own performance. 

If TB felt his style or whatever needed altered if he took the job here, he would. That's what good coaches do. His resume is the best for any "applicant" we have. 

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't be upset. I wouldn't be excited either. 

I’d say I’d feel a similar way but lean more towards excitement. I know he’s old but that isn’t stopping Boeheim, Coach K, Pitino, Hamilton, Kruger, Williams, Izzo, Sampson, Huggins, etc

A Beilein hire would to me be like the Romeo effect- it brings spotlight to IU and makes it easier for other guys to take notice and follow. 

I think getting a good 5-6 years outta Coach B will put the program back in a place where we legitimately feel that conference titles and national championships can be achieved.

Timing is everything with coaching hires and unless Dolson wants to throw Stevens money around to Few/Wright/Beard/Muss, I don’t see us having much leverage to pitch to them. 

We all want a proven coach and not an experiment. I know it’s not the ideal hire when it comes to longevity but I think he realistically meets that criteria  more than anyone we are after. 

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Where did you get those kicks?

I gotta have a pair of those!

My beautiful wife found them, somewhere online....I will ask.
No joke though,... she ordered them around Thanksgiving a few years ago.....I didn’t receive them until February the next year. Plan on waiting awhile......, nothing else to do right?

30 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

...they’re just theoretically speaking IF....

Ok thank you the only things I read were Kendrick and landers tweets were copied here if those are real it sounds good I just didn’t know who pulled Bennett’s name out of the hat. I am just as anxious as anyone but other than fun don’t put much stock into message board’s 

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

My beautiful wife found them, somewhere online....I will ask.
No joke though,... she ordered them around Thanksgiving a few years ago.....I didn’t receive them until February the next year. Plan on waiting awhile......, nothing else to do right?

It’s like waiting for IU to hire a new coach. I mean we are all patient. Waiting like 5-6 years between NCAA appearances and decades between top 10 teams.

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Last point: 

coaches should constantly self-reflect on their teams overall performance and their own performance. 

If TB felt his style or whatever needed altered if he took the job here, he would. That's what good coaches do. His resume is the best for any "applicant" we have. 

I don't really see the evidence of that last point with Bennett. He runs the same stuff he always has and that his dad ran. 

I know you said earlier in the thread he plays slow because he has to, but he had three NBA players on his title team and still was the slowest team in the country. He plays slow because he plays slow, and often his teams are aimlessly running clock rather than hunting shots. I think you can see it come back to bite them if you watch their games. 

Again, I'll be happy if we get him, mostly because I think he has the highest floor and when you have a high floor the odds are you'll get lucky at some point like he has done, but I don't think he has the highest ceiling. 

50 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly where I am.  His later Michigan teams were well designed. He had an endless stream of long wings who were aggressive, but he also had a take charge point guard and big, strong guys in the post.  It was very good roster construction and he pushed the right buttons.  

On the other hand he is older, and how long will it take for everything to come together plus how long can he last?  That’s the flip side.   

Some people are worried about how it took Beilein a few years to get UM up and running.  I would say since he knows the big ten now it might not take that ling if he is hired here.  If he could bring in his old assistant that helped him turned UM  defense aoround it would be great.  Also bring Lewis as the lead assistant designed to be the next coach.

Archived