Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

That’s a lie.  They have talked to a ton of coaches and IU isn’t the brand it use to be.  Had all their eggs in one basket and that usually doesn’t work well, and it didnt

Glad to see you back on HSN!

So the coaches that we’ve spoken to, is it that they can’t find a reason to leave their current position because they have it better/equal, or is it that since they aren’t Stevens/we got dumped that the booster is Significantly pulling back his budget?

Just feel like the fact that Woodson and Matta are being brought up regularly means we already reached out to the Beards/Drew/Muss/Bennett of the world and struck out.

Rumors and hearsay. It has happened each time IU has had to hire a new coach since they fired Bob Knight. The unnamed sources quoted by hack "journalist" hoping to break the news first. Fan forums where the so called fans tare down the program based on the same unfounded rumors. 

Osterman Clown should be fired immediately, as should all self-professed experts who toss out the infamous unnamed and inside sources. And anyone paying for their expert insights should demand their money back.

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I don't view that as a screw up in the first place.  I view it as the athletic department doing their due diligence before actually hiring someone.  I'm saying I would like to confirm something to be accurate before I trash someone.  Obviously, you don't care about that.

He has been trashing IU for years. Kind of think he tried to get a job at IU but was never hired

Let's be honest, we all wanted Stevens and there really wasn't a close second. We hope Dolson would go all in on him and if he failed, well at least we knew he tried. There are no big name coaches out there looking to move, that's why they are big names, because they are in great situations already.  Now some people are blaming Dolson and saying he's a screw up. Pa-leez....he is doing want we had hoped he do, and when that didn't pan out he must be more measured and dilgent to figure out which person has the best chance of becoming the next big name on coaching.  Just because we don't know exactly what is happening doesn't mean that any narrative created in any of our heads is true. It actually is juvenile.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Jeff Goodman, Purdue Fans, UK fans, 35 year old social rejects still living in mom's basement, etc.  There are people out there trolling IU.  Let's step up as a fan base and not fall for it.  Wait until Dolson speaks again.  We look ridiculous.  smh.

I think all of these media types has gotten together to troll IU fans.  They know how crazy this fan base is and they are probably laughing their asses off after every tweet they send out.

1 minute ago, IUDan93 said:

Let's be honest, we all wanted Stevens and there really wasn't a close second. We hope Dolson would go all in on him and if he failed, well at least we knew he tried. There are no big name coaches out there looking to move, that's why they are big names, because they are in great situations already.  Now some people are blaming Dolson and saying he's a screw up. Pa-leez....he is doing want we had hoped he do, and when that didn't pan out he must be more measured and dilgent to figure out which person has the best chance of becoming the next big name on coaching.  Just because we don't know exactly what is happening doesn't mean that any narrative created in any of our heads is true. It actually is juvenile.

I actually have lots of close seconds in terms of what I think they can bring us on the court. 

There were and are some intangible things with Stevens no one else has, but I think there are other guys who could coach here for 20 years and win multiple titles. 

18 minutes ago, JugRox said:

I don’t believe a single thing posted in this thread or on Twitter.

Nobody has or have had a clue what’s going on the entire time.

This is where I am at. Dolson said we wouldn't hear from until they had their coach and as far as I know he hasn't said a thing. The rumors and reports on twitter are fun to talk about but I wouldn't take most of them seriously.

I just don't understand why so many people take what so called insiders say because in the last few years I have been PM'd 3 times about things about things that was about to happen and none ever happened.

1- Donnovan was going to be our coach

2- Romeo was coming back for his sophomore year

3- Stevens deal was done

I am sure these guys are getting info but I wouldn't trust those sources since they have been wrong so many times.  I trust Dolson and have like everything I have heard him talk about.  He is doing his due diligence and will make the best chocie for this program.

3 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

The fact that there was the 'Dolson got his guy' chatter last night on Peegs and those two twitter posts as well makes me think the Matta story may have been legit.

Which would mean every decent coach is telling us to pound sand.

At the same time, with Matta's health concerns, I wouldn't think Dolson would've gotten his hopes too high until after a physical.

Do I think IU is getting turned down? Probably. But I also think coaches are starting to realize they can win where they are, and places like Texas Tech can dish out some major cash. Those places also come with a little lower expectations. 

4 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

That’s fine idc that much anyway I’m staying a ton more neutral till Dolson takes the mic. Most likely there isn’t a candidate we will hire that will make me flip out.

My point was to say idk why any candidate has to be SO polarizing. We can have a middle somewhere 😂 

Sorry, my comment was more of a question than a statement. I wasn’t able to read the 20 pages of history so was curious if there was some development that made Bennett a viable candidate.  It would appear not...

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

At the same time, with Matta's health concerns, I wouldn't think Dolson would've gotten his hopes too high until after a physical.

Do I think IU is getting turned down? Probably. But I also think coaches are starting to realize they can win where they are, and places like Texas Tech can dish out some major cash. Those places also come with a little lower expectations. 

yes, IU, is a pressure cooker the like of Boston and yankee sports teams. Many people may not want to take the Job even if the money is great, because of

A: crazy fans

B: media

C ": pressure cooker environment.

If some of these people are performing just as well  for other teams, they may not want to come here money be dammed  because taking the IUBB job can age someone in decades every year

Regarding Beilein, in 2013 we beat them out for conference champs.  But when it came time to demonstrate coaching chops, Crean was bewildered by the Syracuse zone.  But Michigan beat Syracuse and actually went to the final game.  Then he rebuilt a second team and went to the championship game again. I didn’t go through his record but I believe he had another run and has a good tournament record.   

I am a little concerned about his thug controversy at Cleveland so he will need some good recruiters with him to vouch for him. 

Is he my favorite candidate? No. Not top five.  But before we panic too much he’s the break in case of emergency solution.  Although somebody else can swoop in on him so we should get an interview going with him and whisper sweet nothings to him to keep him engaged. 

I know my take is not a popular one but I really don't care what other fans think.  I have been a fan my whole life and I am 50 years old and in my lifetime I have seen 3 national championships, 6 final fours and numerous conference championships.  I feel for the younger fans who has not seen that and what it took to get those championships but I feel that clouds your judgement on things.  You probably want the quick fix and don't care how we there.  I say enjoy the journey because it is better than the destination.

On the hire I am not in the group that thinks only about getting a coach who can get us to the national championship as quick as we can.  I don't care to be like UK, duke, UNC or KU and i don't need a coach who can start getting us a lot of 5 star players right away.  What I want is to get back to what Indiana was and what it took to win at a place like IU.  I don't want the quick turn around coach who will cut corners to get there because that is not what IU basketball is all about. I want guys who know what it takes to win at IU and that doesn't mean an IU guy but I am not going to turn them away either.  I want a guy who knows what it takes to win in the conference first and foremost because that is where to start your rebuild.  I want a coach who brings in the kind of kids who I am proud of and that represents the University in a spotless manner.  I want to recruit the kind of kids that have won at IU before and those are guys with high basketball IQ's, and guy who plays with their heart.  Players who know the game inside and out and guys who know how to shoot the ball.  It is not trying to get the best athletes and teach them how to be better basketball players.

So to me I don't want the flavor of the month like Musselman who won't stay in one place long enough to build a program.  I want guys who want to grow the program and not just a guy who wants to grow his career.  I don't want Oats who has only had one good year at a power 5 school who is using guys that was already on the roster when he got there.  I like Moser after listening to him on the DD show today but his overall record is not great.  I want a guy who has proven to be able to win big or know what IU is all about and would be great to have both.

Beard- Knows RMK, Lewis, and Pat and his players look like guys who plays their tails off.

Beilein- Knows the big ten and has won the conference plenty of times. Listening to Laskowski he says Beilein grew up listening to IU games on the way home from his games.

Matta- Knows the big ten well and won in the conference and grew up in the big ten area and thought I heard he grew up an IU fan.

Bennett- Long shot at best but he has won big and he coached in the big ten as an assistant under his father.

IU guys- Fife, Lewis, Woodson

23 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Rumors and hearsay. It has happened each time IU has had to hire a new coach since they fired Bob Knight. The unnamed sources quoted by hack "journalist" hoping to break the news first. Fan forums where the so called fans tare down the program based on the same unfounded rumors. 

Osterman Clown should be fired immediately, as should all self-professed experts who toss out the infamous unnamed and inside sources. And anyone paying for their expert insights should demand their money back.

Osterman didn't do anything wrong because he tweeted that this was not true

Leave for a couple hours come back to find out Matta had the job until he failed a physical that he couldnt pass 10 years ago LMAO.....RIGHT. IU isnt going down that road knowing why the guy left the game to start with. CALM DOWN ITS ONLY BEEN A WEEK.

Archived