Jump to content

Potential replacement coaches


Recommended Posts

Not necessarily a suggestion for our next head coach, but let's not leave any stone unturned. Has anyone mentioned Greg McDermott from Creighton on here?

He's only in his 50's I believe, seems to always have good teams in the Big East. Last year's team was ranked 7th and this year's team is Top 20. I'm no expert so I'm more just curious what everyone thinks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Not necessarily a suggestion for our next head coach, but let's not leave any stone unturned. Has anyone mentioned Greg McDermott from Creighton on here?

He's only in his 50's I believe, seems to always have good teams in the Big East. Last year's team was ranked 7th and this year's team is Top 20. I'm no expert so I'm more just curious what everyone thinks.

I would take him...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Good grief. Indiana fans are ridiculous. You go find that magic unicorn coach who's never made a mistake who actually, you know, wants the job.

As IU fans I feel like we got spoiled by RMK keeping a tight leash, more like a noose. That guy didn't take shit off anyone. And was respected and players knew what they were getting into. 

But its 2021 now. How much control and influence do you think a 50-60 yr old coach will have over young adults?  

I guess we forgot how to live and let live and forgive and move on. And also to be tough and deal with criticism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

As IU fans I feel like we got spoiled by RMK keeping a tight leash, more like a noose. That guy didn't take shit off anyone. And was respected and players knew what they were getting into. 

But its 2021 now. How much control and influence do you think a 50-60 yr old coach will have over young adults?  

I guess we forgot how to live and let live and forgive and move on. And also to be tough and deal with criticism. 

RMK...the epitome of a hypocrite.  But boy could he coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Not necessarily a suggestion for our next head coach, but let's not leave any stone unturned. Has anyone mentioned Greg McDermott from Creighton on here?

He's only in his 50's I believe, seems to always have good teams in the Big East. Last year's team was ranked 7th and this year's team is Top 20. I'm no expert so I'm more just curious what everyone thinks.

Evil white supremacist, he’s out.

8BCFADE5-669E-40C7-B4E1-2BB7C379F1F8.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Max said:

He ain’t never leaving KU. Who would!??? 

I meant it sarcastically as for real that was an awful game by Kansas...he’s not coming to IU.  
I’m under no illusion anyone like Bennett, Self, Beard, Few, Stevens, Donovan, Wright arent coming to IU. I’m in the ‘we are going to be underwhelmed again’ camp as we can throw as much money as we want at some of these guys...they ain’t leaving their current situation for IU but I’m guessing some may use us to get a pay upgrade. Hell at this point it appears we can’t get Matta either so we may be staring down the barrel of a former player (which I’m not in favor of) or another MM that we will be replacing in 4 more years. It’s depressing because frankly I’m tired of losing and being apathetic about basketball. 

Edited by IUfan93
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rico said:

RMK...the epitome of a hypocrite.  But boy could he coach.

There is no denying either of those. 

For me, to keep it brief, IU and RMK was my dads obsession.  He got to see IU from 71 until he passed in 2006. 

So RMK and my dad and the early mid 90's teams still means alot. But really it's more about the players.  I met alot of them and got to hang out with some while attending basketball camps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, rico said:

RMK...the epitome of a hypocrite.  But boy could he coach.

Do as I say. Not as I do. Brilliant coaching mind though.  One of the problems with some of his players who now coach is they eschew his tactics.  If you read Alford’s book and Season on the Brink he doesn’t appreciate some of Knight’s ideas and it hurts him.  He clearly said he was self motivated.  The problem is college kids need their buttons pushed.  The losses at home to the likes of Northwestern are things Knight would make sure were a rare occurrence not unsurprising.

For instance Knight demanded everything be done right even when it “didn’t matter.”  The point was you get in the right habit.  Wooden used to do the same thing with his tie the shoelaces thing.  Knight could read his team and if he had an easy team coming up, he’d get on them and they wouldn’t let up.  You wouldn’t see us lose those idiotic home games very often at all like we routinely did recently.  Meanwhile if it was a tough game, he’d make sure they were rested and ready to fight.  There’s a reason why guys like Belichick (who is considerably younger) came and learned from Knight.  Do your job and don’t beat yourself.  These guys were like peas in a pod in many ways.   A guy like Alford just doesn’t have those traits and hence he’s mediocre.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Good grief. Indiana fans are ridiculous. You go find that magic unicorn coach who's never made a mistake who actually, you know, wants the job.

Just seems hypocritical for many posters to bring up the handling of rape allegations against players for coaches like Alford and Izzo, but don't seem to care when it's a coach like Altman who may want to coach their team.

If it's not an issue for Altman, then it shouldn't be brought up as an issue with Alford or Izzo either.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

Just seems hypocritical for many posters to bring up the handling of rape allegations against players for coaches like Alford and Izzo, but don't seem to care when it's a coach like Altman who may want to coach their team.

If it's not an issue for Altman, then it shouldn't be brought up as an issue with Alford or Izzo either.

I don’t know anything about Altman’s issues. But if it’s true, I agree with you.  We don’t need that BS.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Do as I say. Not as I do. Brilliant coaching mind though.  One of the problems with some of his players is they eschew his tactics.  If you read Alford’s book and Season on the Brink he doesn’t adopt some of Knight’s ideas and it hurts him.  For instance Knight demanded everything be done right even when it “didn’t matter.”  The point was you get in the right habit.  Wooden used to do the same thing with his tie the shoelaces thing.  Knight could read his team and if he had an easy team coming up, he’d get on them and they wouldn’t let up.  You wouldn’t see us lose those idiotic home games very often at all like we routinely did recently.  Meanwhile if it was a tough game, he’d make sure they were rested and ready to fight.  There’s a reason why guys like Belichick (who is considerably younger) came and learned from Knight.  A guy like Alford just doesn’t have those traits and hence he’s mediocre.  

There are different types of leaders but its usually the hard charges that get things done. Think George Washington, Old Hickory Andrew Jackson, US Grant, Sherman, Patton. 

Its uncomfortable but it takes aholes to get things done. Not always but probably 85% of the time. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...