Potential replacement coaches

10 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

That's because it's like the life savings for the university. You know how you youve saved money all of your life(hopefully)to make sure you don't lose your home and are out on the streets in emergencies? 

That's what the endowment is. It ensures the survival of the university.

Oh I get it.  IU was able to secure a Billion dollars when Covid started due to it’s high credit rating and endowment.  But even if IU was financially in trouble the endowment can still be only used for certain things.  Additionally there are lots of studies that all of these endowments continue to grow at exorbitant rates that are way more than is needed within reason to keep most universities afloat.  Look into all the hedge funds that live and breath of endowment money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Right there with you on the bad back.  I'm only 35, but got degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, sciatica and the works.

Oh boy now we can sound like old men. I just turned 44. I have about 10-15% of a disc and about 40-45% of a disc down there about L4-L5. Arthritis all over the place down there. Nice combo of a hereditary disc disease partnered with YEARS of basketball, running, plyos, etc. but I wouldn’t trade those athletic years for anything.

I lift and run on soft surfaces slower and with anti inflammatory meds and a gradual increase of Tramadal.

Ive had every procedure possible done outside of a fusion surgery which I’m just trying to push back as far as possible.

So I have the muscular pain, arthritis and nerve pain. The nerve pain seems to be under control which is huge. Now it’s the day by day grind of chronic pain. 👍🏻😂

You gotten any shots or anything? Any meds yet? I went in my first anti inflammatory meds early 30s. Shit went downhill fast. 🤦🏻‍♂️

16 minutes ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

Scott, i would think this because I do this stuff for a living and like a previous poster wrote, coaches don't think like you. here is why I would think that: When you get to that level, it's 99.9999% ego driven. you want to fire a guy like michael jordan or kobe bryant up, challenge his manhood. challenge his ego. they simply won't back down. and it can be over the smallest of things. if you don't understand this then I don't know what to tell you. if you don't think brad stevens works this way then, well, you just are wrong. bob knight was an egomaniacal narcissist. it's what made him a 3-time national champion and an olympic gold medal winner. stevens comes off corporate. great. he's a good guy. I've spent a decent amount of time with stevens. he's an incredible guy, but to think he's not run by ego is crazy. coaches MUST have that type of swagger to coach the Boston Celtics. It's the Celtics for crying out loud. 

so you force his hand. you ask him to chase legendary status. you sell him on being the true heir to RMK. You challenge him to chase immortality. if he turns it down then fine. he's not the guy IU wants. maybe he thinks he can chase that in Boston and has a better shot at it. I don't agree. 

This is why Stevens is in play more than people realize. It's naïve to think Alabama didn't sell Saban on the above and at the end of the day Saban thought he could chase harder at Alabama than he could with the Dolphins. And as far as "looking at this job the way we fans do", man it's Indiana. It's a sleeping giant. Everyone knows that.

I hope your right and I often think about the Sabin/Alabama vs IU basketball comparison. Alabama was in a rut but they were a “blue blood” that took off under Saban. We still, in my mind, have that potential. 
Let’s pretend we have a new powerhouse coach and both IU and PU make the Elite 8. PU would be a ho hum national story while we would get a TON of national “they are back” momentum. We still have more of a potential national footprint/potential/possibilities than a Purdue type of program. The challenge is..will we ever get back there. In football the Nebraska, Michigan, Miami, etc fans feel the same as we do but they aren’t haven’t gotten back either.
It’s a tough road but I still think/hope/dream we can be relevant again but I doubt it will happen under Archie.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Oh boy now we can sound like old men. I just turned 44. I have about 10-15% of a disc and about 40-45% of a disc down there about L4-L5. Arthritis all over the place down there. Nice combo of a hereditary disc disease partnered with YEARS of basketball, running, plyos, etc. but I wouldn’t trade those athletic years for anything.

I lift and run on soft surfaces slower and with anti inflammatory meds and a gradual increase of Tramadal.

Ive had every procedure possible done outside of a fusion surgery which I’m just trying to push back as far as possible.

So I have the muscular pain, arthritis and nerve pain. The nerve pain seems to be under control which is huge. Now it’s the day by day grind of chronic pain. 👍🏻😂

You gotten any shots or anything? Any meds yet? I went in my first anti inflammatory meds early 30s. Shit went downhill fast. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm sorry to hear that bud.  I have had the epidural back injections (3 of them).  Now they want to burn nerves.  If that doesn't work they want to do surgery but that's not something i really want to do.  They have me on tramadal as well.  I didn't know i had back problems, no pain there.  Was having pain in my right leg & foot (thought maybe i tweaked an ankle for the 1,000th time) and went to the doctors and they said it was my back.  Blew me away.  Then the back pain came shortly afterwards.  Working from home helps, but there's no getting it better really, i just deal.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is when there are openings in the NBA the names you see are not impressive.  Will Boston think that Nate McMillian be better than what Stevens is.

Why do the names need to be impressive?  Were Quinn Snyder or Nurse impressive names when hired.  Was Spoelstra an impressive name when Miami hired him. There are probably unknown assistants that teams are high on like the guy the Pacers hired.   

Jacque Vaughn seems to be a solid option. Juwan Howard?    IMO,  JJ Barea can walk right in from playing in Spain and coach. He'll probably be back in Dallas on RC's staff.  Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson are in the TV booth.  Chauncey Billups?  Kenny Smith has interviewed for jobs. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Why do the names need to be impressive?  Were Quinn Snyder or Nurse impressive names when hired.  Was Spoelstra an impressive name when Miami hired him. There are probably unknown assistants that teams are high on like the guy the Pacers hired.   

Jacque Vaughn seems to be a solid option. Juwan Howard?    IMO,  JJ Barea can walk right in from playing in Spain and coach. He'll probably be back in Dallas on RC's staff.  Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson are in the TV booth.  Chauncey Billups?  Kenny Smith has interviewed for jobs. 

Are any of them better than Stevens

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

I'm sorry to hear that bud.  I have had the epidural back injections (3 of them).  Now they want to burn nerves.  If that doesn't work they want to do surgery but that's not something i really want to do.  They have me on tramadal as well.  I didn't know i had back problems, no pain there.  Was having pain in my right leg & foot (thought maybe i tweaked an ankle for the 1,000th time) and went to the doctors and they said it was my back.  Blew me away.  Then the back pain came shortly afterwards.  Working from home helps, but there's no getting it better really, i just deal.

Got the nerve burns SO hope it works for you. For the people it does it’s a miracle. I encourage you to try it!

• Like 1

I want more discussion around Pitino. He's scummy, I get it, but....

He isn't afraid of the spotlight that is IU basketball.... he's coached the Knicks, the Celtics, UK, and Louisville.

He's a better coach than literally anyone else we are discussing. Period.

He has a chip on his shoulder.

He doesn't need much time to rebuild. 

Who doesn't want to see a Candy Stripe suit? 

We can get him, no question. He'd come in a heartbeat.

But seriously, if we can't get a homerun in his 40s or early 50s, we can't do better than Pitino. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 7

Im glad to know im not the only one that feels that way.

With all that’s come out (FBI bribery case, MSU assault/rape issues, UNC fake classes) it’s clear that recruits and their families are either A) willing to look past it because winning cures all or B) they are aware of how rampant cheating/foul play is in college basketball and know guys like Pitino aren’t the “bad apples”.

I think he would come to IU in a heart beat and would do a fantastic job. Not saying he would be my top choice but someone that should be considered more heavily 

• Like 3

At least point I’d take a Pitino, Pearl, Drew, any of them.  Yeah they have sketchy past but there isn’t 1 college coach that doesn’t work in the far grey area, not one.  There are people in place at the university that can monitor all there actions and transactions that happen that could effect the university.  

• Like 5

How would the timing work with Stevens? Unless the bottom totally falls out soon, he'll at least make it through the end of the season with the Celtics. Would IU retain Archie into the summer, with the intent to bring him back if Stevens doesn't work out? I don't think you could fire Archie in March and wait until June to replace him, even if you were confident Stevens would come. You would be left totally high and dry if Stevens didn't materialize at that point as hoped.

Edited by IUProfessor

9 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

How would the timing work with Stevens? Unless the bottom totally falls out soon, he'll at least make it through the end of the season with the Celtics. Would IU retain Archie into the summer, with the intent to bring him back if Stevens doesn't work out? I don't think you could fire Archie in March and wait until June to replace him, even if you were confident Stevens would come. You would be left totally high and dry if Stevens didn't materialize at that point as hoped.

If we don’t fire Archie now we may be left high and dry anyway as all coaching candidates may have already signed extensions with big buyout or already signed on for a new school! Being slow to make tough decisions is why we are in this mess in the first place 

8 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

If Stevens gives any indication of ever waiting to come it's on his timeline.  The world of college basketball has changed.  Players are almost available year round now.  I would imagine 1 or 2 guys would jump on board immediately just to be coached by him.  He would be on Coach Ks level recruiting.  A phone call or zoom or send an assistant, show up once or twice to seal the deal.  If he hasn't had a family vacation in 6 years, home is home, family/grandparents are right up the road for wife and kids.  

I'll say it again and again and again.  10 years 100 mil.  It will pay for itself in 2.5.  You could trim the fat off the ridiculous and unfruitful recruiting budget because kids would line up at the door.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

At least point I’d take a Pitino, Pearl, Drew, any of them.  Yeah they have sketchy past but there isn’t 1 college coach that doesn’t work in the far grey area, not one.  There are people in place at the university that can monitor all there actions and transactions that happen that could effect the university.  

At this point I think I'd be ok with the guy that coaches at the D3 school that keeps having guys come close to or get 100 point games.  I almost think getting beat 157-146 is better than 73-58.

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm as dead serious as I can be, if we cannot get Brad, Beard, or Billy then give me Rick Pitino. He is probably a better coach than those three anyway, I know he has baggage and is old but he will win for whatever time we have and we will be a desirable job when he retires. 

At this point there is very little baggage that worries me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I want more discussion around Pitino. He's scummy, I get it, but....

He isn't afraid of the spotlight that is IU basketball.... he's coached the Knicks, the Celtics, UK, and Louisville.

He's a better coach than literally anyone else we are discussing. Period.

He has a chip on his shoulder.

He doesn't need much time to rebuild. 

Who doesn't want to see a Candy Stripe suit? 

We can get him, no question. He'd come in a heartbeat.

But seriously, if we can't get a homerun in his 40s or early 50s, we can't do better than Pitino. 

I am all in. Plays a great style obviously knows how to win. If getting a lap dance now and again will help 5 star guards relax enough to hit layups I am all in. Outside of flat out paying players directly from coach to player I think I can turn my head over most issues that people might have with Rick. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, cybergates said:

image.png.ba531d483a717dedadda3acd2e58a0f5.pngU

AM is our BG, go get our JC

UK had the stones to move on when it was obvious it wasn't working.  Do we?

And before anyone says there were off the court factors, those degenerates would have covered anything up if he was winning.   That other stuff was just a convenient excuse. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

Pitino is never going to happen. Even if it weren't for all the baggage after getting sacked at UL, the guy is 68 years old.

I understand that. I would prefer a younger "home run", but if we can't get one of those guys I'd rather take 5 years of Pitino than another gamble on a mid-major coach. 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Right! If he's regained his health, he could be here for a decent amount of time. That's assuming he even wants back into the very thing that caused him health problems in the first place. 

Take it for what it's worth. I hear from a guy that runs in Thad at the local liquor store on a regular basis,  not implying anything,  but he says Thad LOVES retirement. I know all have a price but not sure more than his health

Just now, ephul said:

Hire John Belein and call it a day. I dont give a damn how old he is. Give me 5-10 years of good basketball. He's built a winner everywhere he's gone

2 things. One that would be a negative recruiting nightmare and there's talk that he doesn't want to coach anymore.