Potential replacement coaches

Just now, Indykev said:

Kids have a free year here to move and play right away. They are going to look at it if they have issues. Armaan i guess has an issue.

Yes, I know that.  The issue is that we have no one currently in place to start taking advantage of that.  But we now have players entering the portal so that others can take advantage of us.

And let's be real, if we end up with some of the names being thrown around here, they have a real tough sales job ahead of them if we start losing key pieces of a team that already was out of the tournament.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

What's there to be frustrated about? It's only been a week and all we have had is some unsubstantiated rumors. Dolson said we won't hear from him until the announcement of the hire.

I can name about 20 years of stuff to be frustrated about at this point. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yes, I know that.  The issue is that we have no one currently in place to start taking advantage of that.  But we now have players entering the portal so that others can take advantage of us.

And let's be real, if we end up with some of the names being thrown around here, they have a real tough sales job ahead of them if we start losing key pieces of a team that already was out of the tournament.

We'll be ok. Its a rebuild of a dumpster fire. Thats why its important to take the time and get the right guy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

What's there to be frustrated about? It's only been a week and all we have had is some unsubstantiated rumors. Dolson said we won't hear from him until the announcement of the hire.

For myself personally, the frustration goes back years with the program.  Besides a few runs and bright spots, a consistent dumpster fire mostly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just imagine how many balls in the air Dolson has right now.  He’s trying to find the right coach.  He’s probably got money people asking for updates.  He’s got to talk to Duncomb, and now Armaan and keep morale up.  There’s the incessant frenzy of chatter.   People freaking out and it’s literally eight days.  Hopefully he keeps a cool head, stays composed, and makes the right call.  

• Like 6

Just now, Indykev said:

We'll be ok. Its a rebuild of a dumpster fire. Thats why its important to take the time and get the right guy.

This is not a rebuild of a dumpster fire.  That was Tom Crean's job.  This team has pieces available to win games if properly coached.  Yes, it needs some additions, but we are not starting baseball players and such.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

For myself personally, the frustration goes back years with the program.  Besides a few runs and bright spots, a consistent dumpster fire mostly.

I'm frustrated about how this program has been, but I am also willing to be patient and see who they get as a coach. I think Dolson will make the right hire.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I'm just think we are all looking in the wrong direction. I think Dolson wants an NBA  guy not a college coach. He said in his presser thats what kids these days focus on and he wants someone to draw kids to IU. Its going to be an NBA Head coach. Who ever that is. My gut feeling.

Curious, while everyone wants the Stevens and Kerrs of the world, is more realistic to look at a former Head Coach or an up can coming NBA assistant.  Maybe similar to what Michigan did with Howard, though we may not necessarily look for an IU guy but someone on an up and coming NBA head coach list?

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is not a rebuild of a dumpster fire.  That was Tom Crean's job.  This team has pieces available to win games if properly coached.  Yes, it needs some additions, but we are not starting baseball players and such.

you knockin Bobby Capobianco, Tijan Jobe, Danny Moore, Verdell, and Co.?  if TJD and Armaan come back, there is definitely enough talent for a good coach to compete.   

• Haha 1

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

I'm frustrated about how this program has been, but I am also willing to be patient and see who they get as a coach. I think Dolson will make the right hire.

I’m hoping he’s talking to people that we have no idea about.  If I had to bet, I’d say he is.  Only a few names have been leaked.  We don’t know and frankly that’s a compliment to Dolson.  I’d far prefer he get it right than we know every minutiae of the search.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Curious, while everyone wants the Stevens and Kerrs of the world, is more realistic to look at a former Head Coach or an up can coming NBA assistant.  Maybe similar to what Michigan did with Howard, though we may not necessarily look for an IU guy but someone on an up and coming NBA head coach list?

You never know.  Nick Nurse was an assistant and then won the title right away as head coach in impressive fashion.  I had heard his name back then but I didn’t know how impressive he would end up being.  There may be other guys like that.  

Lawrence Frank is out there but he’s got an executive job now with the LAC.  I doubt he’s a candidate but who knows.  If anything, Dolson may have talked to him for NBA perspective on some names and other ideas.  They were both ex managers at different times.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m hoping he’s talking to people that we have no idea about.  If I had to bet, I’d say he is.  Only a few names have been leaked.  We don’t know and frankly that’s a compliment to Dolson.  I’d far prefer he get it right than we know every minutiae of the search.  

I would almost bet that it will be someone out of left field that no one has even mentioned.

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

you knockin Bobby Capobianco, Tijan Jobe, Danny Moore, Verdell, and Co.?  if TJD and Armaan come back, there is definitely enough talent for a good coach to compete.   

Exactly, as long as we keep the core here, we might be surprised what a good coach could do with this bunch.  But Franklin is definitely part of that core.

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Exactly, as long as we keep the core here, we might be surprised what a good coach could do with this bunch.  But Franklin is definitely part of that core.

Agreed. This core group of players put together some stretches of solid basketball, so the talent and ability is there, and IMO, Armaan Franklin is going to be a star in the league. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You never know.  Nick Nurse was an assistant and then won the title right away as head coach in impressive fashion.  I had heard his name back then but I didn’t know how impressive he would end up being.  There may be other guys like that.  

Lawrence Frank is out there but he’s got an executive job now with the LAC.  I doubt he’s a candidate but who knows.  If anything, Dolson may have talked to him for NBA perspective on some names and other ideas.  They were both ex managers at different times.  

The Lawrence Frank involvement is something I've considered.  If SD is actively exploring NBA coaches or assistants it'd be a natural connection.