Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

We live in a world of startups and incubators and all we want is the known.  I want the unknown who can do it!  Best hire would be after doing all the HW hiring who would be best.  I don't care if that person every coached college game.

Bob Knight once said Doc Colleson (spell??l) could coach any sport and do well at it.

When you got it, you got it.  

There is a reason why some are not in the NBA.  Yes, by choice, but also maybe because of other reasons. 

If we can go the opposite- wow!

Vince Lombardi coached high school basketball after never playing it or coaching it before in his life...he taught himself the game through books in the library and won a state championship...

One of his players was Mickey Corcoran who was Bill Parcell's high school coach...

Like you say, if you got it, you got it..

i'm not betting on the success of a guy who has never been a head coach at the college level (Woodson), or guys who have never been a head coach anywhere (Lewis and Cheaney), or a guy who was the head coach at IUFW (Fife).  of course any of them could do well.  it's possible i would do well i suppose.  the highest level i have coached is high school girls and high school boys travel ball.  

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Like I said I will get behind whoever he hires. And I will admit it’s possible even some HS coach could succeed here. POSSIBLE. And any fans bashing the guy who boycotting or whatever will take whatever that possible chance is and take it to zero. So it doesn’t pay to throw a fit. It’ll be what it is at that point. 

But we also can’t expect someone with very little evidence to back the notion of success to inspire “excitement.” There’s a big difference between trashing an incoming coach and awkward silence. 

The more silence with a hire the more the target is on Dolson’s back. If the consensus for the majority is “this guy is bound to be successful here” and he doesn’t pan out, it’s not as much pressure on the AD as him hiring some former player with zero head coaching experience and that person not panning out. If he has some “gut” feeling on someone fine...go with it and we’ll support. And if doesn’t work show him the door in a NY Minute.

I think it is better that there is silence from Dolson because it shows he is not letting things out.  The worst thing to happen was when it came out that Stevens was a done deal.  If that never happened I don't think the out cry would be this bad.  Everyone compared to Stevens will feel like a let down.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm not betting on the success of a guy who has never been a head coach at the college level (Woodson), or guys who have never been a head coach anywhere (Lewis and Cheaney), or a guy who was the head coach at IUFW (Fife).  of course any of them could do well.  it's possible i would do well i suppose.  the highest level i have coached is high school girls and high school boys travel ball.  

BINGO ☝️☝️☝️

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'm not betting on the success of some arszhole from Army that never made the NCAAT.

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Ideally I want an IU guy also...one that any big D1 school would be thrilled to have at their school also.

I am not saying it has to be just an IU guy.  Guys like Beilein and Matta knows the big ten and what IU basketball is about   Beard worked under RMK and Pat so he knows about it and taught his team the history.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am not saying it has to be just an IU guy.  Guys like Beilein and Matta knows the big ten and what IU basketball is about   Beard worked under RMK and Pat so he knows about it and taught his team the history.

Pat would be a deal breaker for me.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Vince Lombardi coached high school basketball after never playing it or coaching it before in his life...he taught himself the game through books in the library and won a state championship...

One of his players was Mickey Corcoran who was Bill Parcell's high school coach...

Like you say, if you got it, you got it..

Gene Keady played football in college and played a little in the NFL

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

to quote myself, i left out that i am an IU guy and definitely know the old school IU bball culture.  

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Question for you, Scott.  If Few wanted to move into the BIG10 and coach IU, but planned to coach/ teach just as he always did at Gonzaga, what would you think?  Would that work for you?

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Can I be an assistant

i bet we could tell them all about the good old IU bball days and i bet we could motivate them.  might have a lot of transfers and might get in some trouble though.  i'm not headbutting anyone, but could easily throw a chair or two.  

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

Question for you, Scott.  If Few wanted to move into the BIG10 and coach IU, but planned to coach/ teach just as he always did at Gonzaga, what would you think?  Would that work for you?

If he got hired fine I’ll support it but my gut says he’d flop big. 

How’s that for answering a question NOT directed to me? 😂 

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

If he got hired fine I’ll support it but my gut says he’d flop big. 

How’s that for answering a question NOT directed to me? 😂 

I think you're entitled to that wrong opinion.  😂. LOL.  Totally joking and laughing!  😁

Archived