Potential replacement coaches

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Question for you, Scott.  If Few wanted to move into the BIG10 and coach IU, but planned to coach/ teach just as he always did at Gonzaga, what would you think?  Would that work for you?

I am being realistic knowing he is not leaving just like Stevens, Wright, Bennett

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I, personally, never had a problem with Steve.  Used to run into him all the time...he lived close to me.

His Dad is one of the best people I've ever met. Good coach and a better man...

That said, I think Steve's time to coach IU has come and gone...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I, personally, never had a problem with Steve.  Used to run into him all the time...he lived close to me.

See I am the opposite, i  am from the North Manchester area and would do work at the school and run into Alford occasionally and lets just say I have nothing good to say about him. A few of my friends and family from there interactions with him have the same opinion about him.

Edited by Hoosier51

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

It's a hypothetical question.  But never mind.  I forget you don't really do those.

Of course he would well here just like any if the elite coaches.  Since we are talking about this coaching search and who is available then that is what I want from the next coach

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

I saw and article headlined all the next coach at Indiana needs to do is make  the fans happy. That's the most stupid statement I have ever heard. Know way you make all the fans happy. I the next coach needs to do is WIN baby. Everything else takes care of it's self. 

I don't know about you, but winning will make me happy.  That is items 1-10 on my wish list.  Win.

I also agree with Dolson that we need to update some of the furniture in the house, but the house was built on winning.  That is the foundation.  

• Like 3

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

See I am the opposite, i  am from the North Manchester area and would do work at the school and run into Alford occasionally and lets just say I have nothing good to say about him. A few of my friends and family from there have the same opinion about him.

Well isn't that like 30 years ago and he was young at the time.  Hopefully maybe he learnef from his mistakes and grew up.  I don't know him personally but have watched him since his high school days.  My high school always Syed New Castle and were in the same sectional.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

His Dad is one of the best people I've ever met. Good coach and a better man...

That said, I think Steve's time to coach IU has come and gone...

I guess I'm a bit biased because I used to go to church with his grandma and have met him a few times. He always seemed alright to me. His dad is from my hometown and graduated from my alma mater. 

But yeah, his window to coach IU is closed. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well isn't that like 30 years ago and he was young at the time.  Hopefully maybe he learnef from his mistakes and grew up.  I don't know him personally but have watched him since his high school days.  My high school always Syed New Castle and were in the same sectional.

Possibly but after Iowa and the fact that it doesn't seem like IU is even interviewing him, maybe he hasn't. 

To be honest he is probably one of the only coaches I wouldn't get behind. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

See I am the opposite, i  am from the North Manchester area and would do work at the school and run into Alford occasionally and lets just say I have nothing good to say about him. A few of my friends and family from there interactions with him have the same opinion about him.

Bob Knight was an a-hole sometimes too.  If Alford came here and won a title, no one would care if he was an arrogant prick.  

Winning cures all.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Possibly but after Iowa and the fact that it doesn't seem like IU is even interviewing him, maybe he hasn't. 

To be honest he is probably one of the only coaches I wouldn't get behind. 

The only ones I would have a hard time backing is Pearl, Calapari, Pitino, Sampson,Wade or anyone who had been investigation

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Alford is not Bob Knight.  His stops at Iowa and UCLA should've told you that.

I am not arguing that he is.  I am saying that if he came here and won a title, that no one would care if he was a dick.

Also, even though he is not Knight, none of us knows whether he could win a title here.  He is not my first choice but people are so definitive on this stuff.  Not many guys could be Knight, that doesn't mean that they are not capable of winning here.

Finally, Alford's time at UCLA consisted of 3 Sweet 16 appearances in 5 years.  His time got cut short because people did not like him so they rolled out the stuff at Iowa to get rid of him.

Edit to add:  I don't know about anyone else, but if whomever we hire goes to the Sweet 16 3 times in his first five years, I think that will be considered a success and Dolson will get credit for making a pretty good hire.  (Alford's 2 other years were the play in game and a sub .500 year)

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am not arguing that he is.  I am saying that if he came here and won a title, that no one would care if he was a dick.

Also, even though he is not Knight, none of us knows whether he could win a title here.  He is not my first choice but people are so definitive on this stuff.  Not many guys could be Knight, that doesn't mean that they are not capable of winning here.

Finally, Alford's time at UCLA consisted of 3 Sweet 16 appearances in 5 years.  His time got cut short because people did not like him so they rolled out the stuff at Iowa to get rid of him.

And that should tell you all you need to know 

12 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Bob Knight was an a-hole sometimes too.  If Alford came here and won a title, no one would care if he was an arrogant prick.  

Winning cures all.

I agree IU is not hiring someone to marry my daughter so I want them to hire the best basketball coach than can and not be worried about being holier than all the other schools who are beating our arses 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

And that should tell you all you need to know 

Which part should?  The fact they did not like him so they ran him out of town or the fact that he won 66% of his games while there and didn't even need the "I need 4 years before you can expect a pulse from my teams" excuse?

For whatever reason, people think the program is too good for Alford or that somehow him being an arrogant dick makes him a mismatch for the job.  On the former, I laugh at that.  Half the names being floated around here don't have his pedigree from a coaching perspective.  On the latter, we did Bob Knight for 29 years and got along just fine....because winning.

I yield the floor to the OMG anyone but Alford folks.  Just saying that we could do a lot worse than Steve and that some of the hate he gets is not grounded in facts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I agree IU is not hiring someone to marry my daughter so I want them to hire the best basketball coach than can and not be worried about being holier than all the other schools who are beating our arses 

Well Alford has also never shown that he has the ability to be some great coach. He has coached a long time and made how many sweet sixteens? I think it's 5 or something like that.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Which part should?  The fact they did not like him so they ran him out of town or the fact that he won 66% of his games while there and didn't even need the "I need 4 years before you can expect a pulse from my teams" excuse?

For whatever reason, people think the program is too good for Alford or that somehow him being an arrogant dick makes him a mismatch for the job.  On the former, I laugh at that.  Half the names being floated around here don't have his pedigree from a coaching perspective.  On the latter, we did Bob Knight for 29 years and got along just fine....because winning.

I yield the floor to the OMG anyone but Alford folks.  Just saying that we could do a lot worse than Steve and that some of the hate he gets is not grounded in facts.

The fact that a coach who had appeared in 3 Sweet 16s in 5 seasons was so disliked by his employer that he was fired 16 games into a season with a record of 9-7. They didn’t give him a chance to right the ship. It wasn’t about breaking rules or a scandal. They just wanted him out the door that bad. Why do you think that was?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The fact that a coach who had appeared in 3 Sweet 16s in 5 seasons was so disliked by his employer that he was fired 16 games into a season with a record of 9-7. They didn’t give him a chance to right the ship. It wasn’t about breaking rules or a scandal. They just wanted him out the door that bad. Why do you think that was?

Well I don't know if I would our decision on what UCLA.  They fired a coach who went to 3 straight final 4's