Potential replacement coaches

3 hours ago, Bustout said:

In terms of “IU guys” and bridging the gap ... doesn’t Beard quasi fit that description?   He coached with RMK and Pat for 10 years combined or so.  He and Pat are best friends. He gushes over IU hoops, etc.  I believe he had Lewis on staff previously for a couple years. 

If he were hired, I assume all this would be addressed.   Yeah, he didn’t play for coach, but this is literally the next best thing. 

Stew Robinson not Lewis was on that staff.

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not liking him is fine, to each their own. I just don't see the a-hole thing at all.

He was honestly pretty nice in how he let us down, then he reaffirmed that he is "one of us" to the team and city he represents. 

Reasonable minds can disagree.

I am just ready to move past Mr. Stevens, my interest with him begins and ends with him being a candidate to coach Indiana.  That interest is over from where I sit, so my interest in him is over as well.

I am ready to get whoever is coming  in place so we can just move on.  We have been spinning our wheels for over a week now and it is the same guys coming up over and over.  Some of us will think the hire is a disaster, some will say give it a chance, some will love it.  But I am ready to talk about reality now.  Coach search has been real, let's move on to what players we are going to get from the portal.  That is where I am at.

Edited by IUCrazy2

50 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've yet to hear one thing that turns me off on Woodson.

Of course you will lose with a trashly run Knicks and Hawks(that he actually turned good).  

I could actually care less about a lack of college experience.  He would have no problem.  Assemble a staff with a mix of young aggressive guys.  His rolodex has to be ridiculous.  

How about he is 60 years old and hasnt been on a college campus since he left in 1980?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, iamaparker1 said:

How about we hire Woodson  because he WANTS to be here. Hire Chaney as an associate head coach. Keep Hunter for recruiting. Hire Jordan Hulls as an assistant. Then we have 3 generations of IU coaches on the bench.

I was told in P.M. yesterday, that there is one candidate who loves IU and can’t wait restore it....I didn’t even ask who it was, because quite frankly, that’s all I needed to hear. That’s the kind of coach I want at IU. I want a coach where money isn’t the deciding factor... I also want that coach who will “make his mark” at IU. I won’t divulge who the P.M. was from .....

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

I was told in P.M. yesterday, that there is one candidate who loves IU and can’t wait restore it....I didn’t even ask who it was, because quite frankly, that’s all I needed to hear. That’s the kind of coach I want at IU. I want a coach where money isn’t the deciding factor... I also want that coach who will “make his mark” at IU. I won’t divulge who the P.M. was from .....

Jerry Sichsting?

• Haha 2

Just now, Inequality said:

Can you imagine HSN board getting the keys to interview and hire the coaching staff? There are some really smart people here so I’m thinking it would be more like an interrogation.

1EFCA96F-BE47-48A6-A298-2A2809017C1E.jpeg

First and only question...how are you going to win a national title?  In my best Dan Dakich voice. 

• Like 1

Just now, Inequality said:

Can you imagine HSN board getting the keys to interview and hire the coaching staff? There are some really smart people here so I’m thinking it would be more like an interrogation.

1EFCA96F-BE47-48A6-A298-2A2809017C1E.jpeg

Why do they all look like "Shrek" wannabes?

14 minutes ago, iucane said:

Hire me then.  I WANT the job more than Woodson

Good point.  I hired somebody years ago in part because she distinguished herself for her great enthusiasm for the job.  She expressed how much she wanted it.  She was fine for a couple of months and ultimately was a complete disaster.  Ever since, I’ve dropped that criterion way down. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, iucane said:

Hire me then.  I WANT the job more than Woodson

are you an IU alum?  how much would they have to pay you?  i am an alum, want the job badly, currently make peanuts as a school teacher, so i come as a bargain, i've coach for 28 years, and i really want the job.  

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

How about he is 60 years old and hasnt been on a college campus since he left in 1980?

62.  Turns 63 this summer, I think that's what I read  That means you get experience.  Not a novice learning on the job.  Maybe then Calbert or Lewis or Fife comes with him to learn on the job and then take over.  

I wonder what he's been doing the last 30 years.  Probably nothing basketball related and certainly not at the highest level.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

62.  Turns 63 this summer, I think that's what I read  That means you get experience.  Not a novice learning on the job.  Maybe then Calbert or Lewis or Fife comes with him to learn on the job and then take over.  

I wonder what he's been doing the last 30 years.  Probably nothing basketball related and certainly not at the highest level.  

What is the obsession with IU guys with moderate resumes coaching here? 

Calbert on the staff? No 

Fife? No 

Lewis? Yes 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Scott Skiles lives in Bloomington. Cached the MAgic, Bulls, Suns and Bucks. Would save IU moving costs. lol

If only Miller had the thought to use past IU players and connections to work with and excite the kids he had.

I can’t help but wonder if he had a better staff if the results would have been different. We all seen the value that one staffer can make with Crean.